The Perseid Meteor Shower!!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-08-2012, 04:12 PM
RE: The Perseid Meteor Shower!!
Still - that's pretty cool! Thumbsup

What kind of exposure did you use? I used to open the aperture for about the same time I would expose for fireworks - kind of a 3 count, and that always seemed to work well. 400 speed film works fine but I became quite partial to 800 for a while too. The only 1000sp I ever liked was that Ektachrome crap - I don't think they even make that anymore. Oops - well, shit no they don't; no Kodak. Sad I'm really gonna miss them.

Like I'd said in a previous post, I'd like to haul m'old clunky out with the tripod, point it skyward, and keep the ap open for a few 10 minute exposures, just to see what I'd get.
Sadly, I'm remaining true to my slacker nature. Dodgy Laughat

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
24-08-2012, 09:02 PM
Hrm, well I opened this up to look at the details to see what my specs were, but I forgot I was using a knock-off Russian fish-eye lens, so I had to turn a lot of auto stuff off on the camera body to make it compatible. So, going off the memory of the (let's not forget- few glasses of wine Wink ) night, I think it was about a 800 or 1600 film speed- which is actually pretty decent, 3200 on the dig is more like 1600 used to be-, 22 aperture and I forget if I just bulb exposed with a cable release or if my shutter was set, if shutter than probably for two or three minutes is my guess.

I used to live where there was absolutely not an inkling of light pollution in my backyard, so I would sit for a long time. I had some pictures where there are sooooo many stars, more than the eye can see in the night sky. Then my computer crashed and I lost those pics Sad

My dream night would be a meteor shower, followed by some northern lights and then a thunder storm rolling in with epic lightning. I'll settle for this over the course of a few nights though Big Grin
[+] 2 users Like LadyJane's post
27-08-2012, 02:12 PM
(24-08-2012 09:02 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  My dream night would be a meteor shower, followed by some northern lights and then a thunder storm rolling in with epic lightning. I'll settle for this over the course of a few nights though Big Grin

Oooh ... all that and a couple of bottles of wine... now, that's a perfect weekend getaway. Thumbsup

We get the Aurora down this way a few times a year - you really have to watch for it, though. I recall most of my sighting have been Winter nights - or maybe I just look up more when the air is crisp. I have seen it as far down as Oklahoma - in Summer no less!

We don't get the intense colors down this far, though - mostly just the light greens and the silvery shimmer - but I do love the "curtain" effect. It's astonishing to me that people can see that and still not be filled with wonder!

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
27-08-2012, 02:30 PM
(27-08-2012 02:12 PM)kim Wrote:  
(24-08-2012 09:02 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  My dream night would be a meteor shower, followed by some northern lights and then a thunder storm rolling in with epic lightning. I'll settle for this over the course of a few nights though Big Grin

Oooh ... all that and a couple of bottles of wine... now, that's a perfect weekend getaway. Thumbsup

We get the Aurora down this way a few times a year - you really have to watch for it, though. I recall most of my sighting have been Winter nights - or maybe I just look up more when the air is crisp. I have seen it as far down as Oklahoma - in Summer no less!

We don't get the intense colors down this far, though - mostly just the light greens and the silvery shimmer - but I do love the "curtain" effect. It's astonishing to me that people can see that and still not be filled with wonder!

Auroras in Kansas. More proof of God's love for us. Bowing

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
27-08-2012, 05:38 PM
Yep, I'm everywhere Big Grin

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
27-08-2012, 05:53 PM
(27-08-2012 05:38 PM)aurora Wrote:  Yep, I'm everywhere Big Grin

Amen!

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
27-08-2012, 06:28 PM
(27-08-2012 05:53 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(27-08-2012 05:38 PM)aurora Wrote:  Yep, I'm everywhere Big Grin

Amen!

And don't forget beautiful to behold! Wink

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
[+] 1 user Likes aurora's post
27-08-2012, 07:01 PM
(27-08-2012 06:28 PM)aurora Wrote:  
(27-08-2012 05:53 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Amen!

I could never forget that!

You won't let me. Dodgy

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
27-08-2012, 09:41 PM
(27-08-2012 06:28 PM)aurora Wrote:  
(27-08-2012 05:53 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Amen!

Yet more proof of God's love for us. Yes

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post