The Phelps

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-11-2011, 06:32 AM
The Phelps
Do you think other sects have the right to complain about how the Westborough Baptists interpret the bible? I don't. They are all dancing to the same band, just moving differently.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes jimmygun's post
04-11-2011, 08:39 AM
RE: The Phelps
The whole Sam Harris notion that the moderates are responsible for the extreme and this idea that some Christians who dedicate their lives to understanding love have no right to criticise a family of wackos who embrace hate, are just the latest incarnations of guilt by association. It's intellectually lazy. So I gotta say that I believe that they do have the right. If they don't, then we have no partners to work with and if we have no partners, then we have no future.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
04-11-2011, 09:21 AM

I think the Phelps are practicing, per spec, the bible as its written. No other group really applies the letter of the law as they do.

When i see Christians not like them, dis avow them, and talk crap about them....i simply remind them they are NOT adding ANYTHING to the bible, but are following its laws to the letter. If you don't like it, them maybe the Offended Christina needs to rethink their position.

JC did not come to replace or modify the law...as he stated...but to uphold it.
If he's part of the trinity, then he's always been around..so he had his hand in the origination of such insane laws....like Hating on Shrimp and Crawdads!

To claim that JC somehow absolves the old testament law with this "New Covenant" is to be ignorant of the bible, plain and simple.

The Phelps ARE the bible personified, and i love them for that! As it shows how "Sissyfied and Mamaby Pamby" (borrowed from Deacon Fred at Landover) Christan's they really are..............

Westboro and the Phelps are TRUE Christians, the rest are just posers debating nonsense in a natural world of reality.

Denicio
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Denicio's post
04-11-2011, 10:49 AM
Remind me. "God hates fags" is which chapter and verse?

Matt
05-11-2011, 06:35 AM
Leviticus 18:22
"Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womenkind: it is abomination."

I think there are many more examples.
05-11-2011, 07:36 AM
Sure. But there's a huge difference between disaproval and hatred.

Matt
05-11-2011, 09:12 AM
(05-11-2011 07:36 AM)Ghost Wrote:  Sure. But there's a huge difference between disaproval and hatred.

Matt

Yeah, your right. Although the way I understand the word "disapproval", it dosn't quite covers it either. According to the bible homosexuality is a sin. Doesn't the bible says that believers should actively try to avoid sinning and try to convert non-believers etc.? Does the word "disapprove" covers active action to prevent what is being disapproved? (English semantics... not my strong sideSmile ) Am I making any sense?Big Grin
[+] 2 users Like Jakel's post
05-11-2011, 10:01 AM
I personally think they have the right to complain but I also think its a bit hypocritical considering their default stance on religious beliefs. Everyone has the right to complain I just wish it would cause some of them to reexamine their holy scripture.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-11-2011, 02:41 PM
Hey, Jakel.

Absolutely. Your point is well taken. That being said, the claim is that the Phelps clan follows the single most strict interpretation of the Bible; more so than any other Christian sect. If that's the case, then there must be a Bible passage that clearly states that God hates fags. Which there isn't. Meaning they follow an interpretation of the Bible. Furthermore, the suggestion that the Bible itself preaches hatred of fags is baseless.

The Phelps are guilty of a lot of things and I doubt I'd piss on them to put out a fire, but they are certainly not the personification of the Bible.

Matt
05-11-2011, 06:18 PM
(05-11-2011 07:36 AM)Ghost Wrote:  Sure. But there's a huge difference between disaproval and hatred.

Don't forget the other gem in Leviticus:

20:13 "If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them." (KJV)

"Disapproval" sounds like a bit of an understatement in the context of capital punishment.

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
[+] 3 users Like cufflink's post