The Phone Call

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-04-2013, 09:22 PM
RE: The Phone Call
(04-04-2013 09:10 PM)FrostyMan Wrote:  As someone who was raised by religious parents, I agree that it's ridiculous. I am thankful that my parents are more happy for the fact that I have an informed opinion about the world than they are shocked that I'm an atheist.

Luckily, I didn't suffer religion as a child but that doesn't mean there weren't arbitrary rules and hypocrisy. That said, after some considerable estrangement, my folks and I get along quite nicely now.

But not because I conceded to such weak and dishonest arguments as those above.

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Chinese Proverb
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-04-2013, 12:08 PM
(04-04-2013 08:09 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  Is this for real? Not a couple of actors? Maybe it's been awhile since I've argued with a family member, but this just sounded...fishy. Please forgive my skepticism.
If real I want some follow up on this kid (sounded young)!

If you watched to the end, it said "written and produced by the thinking atheist." Smile
Find all posts by this user
05-04-2013, 04:39 PM
(05-04-2013 12:08 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  If you watched to the end, it said "written and produced by the thinking atheist." Smile

See LJ, this is why we need you around more often, I can't see the obvious without someone to point it out for me. I watched the entire vid and missed it. Big Grin

That and you're awesome anyway. Smile

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
[+] 1 user Likes Hughsie's post
06-04-2013, 11:53 AM (This post was last modified: 06-04-2013 12:50 PM by Lienda Bella.)
I felt sad that it's common. That's a selfish thing to do, and it's not keeping the peace and letting live but forcing. I don't want to tell my Mom (-.-She very likely knows anyway), but I'm pretty sure she wouldn't do that.

Yatta yatta bluh bluh
[+] 1 user Likes Lienda Bella's post
06-04-2013, 12:26 PM
(05-04-2013 04:39 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  
(05-04-2013 12:08 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  If you watched to the end, it said "written and produced by the thinking atheist." Smile

See LJ, this is why we need you around more often, I can't see the obvious without someone to point it out for me. I watched the entire vid and missed it. Big Grin

That and you're awesome anyway. Smile

Or maybe I should come around more often because I miss you. (true story).
[+] 2 users Like LadyJane's post
09-04-2013, 05:30 PM
I'm so lucky, every member in my 5 piece famliy are atheists, including me.

They came, they saw and acknowledged
Some good, some bad
Opinion: Dangerous
[+] 1 user Likes ELK12695's post
10-04-2013, 12:14 PM
Wow! I'm so lucky my mother was also an atheist. I can't imagine the emotional turmoil which the brave souls (it's a metaphor, dammit! I don't believe in a disembodied soul! Smile ) who have managed to clear their minds of the god virus have had to endure. Who would want to have that phone call? How many go along to get along simply to avoid it? Kudos to Seth, Matt, Dan, Teresa, Jerry, and all the other heroes who have put intellectual honesty and being true to themselves above the emotional ties which keep millions of their fellow humans working against their own best interests at the behest of the god virus.

"Heresy makes for progress" - Hypatia Bradlaugh Bonner
[1 Corinthians 13:11] When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things. - The Bible King James Version. See? Even the Bible says "Put me down!" Big Grin
10-04-2013, 12:23 PM
(04-04-2013 09:04 PM)bbeljefe Wrote:  
(04-04-2013 08:53 PM)FrostyMan Wrote:  To be fair, they're passing on what was taught to them. Until someone breaks the chain, it's pretty much self-perpetuating. Believe me, I know. Undecided

Right.... and they did the best they could with the knowledge they had.

Well, if that's the moral standard... doing the best one can, then children should never be disciplined because they're doing the best they can with the knowledge they have. Trouble is, parents don't allow their innocent children the same leeway they afford themselves.

So my argument is that if the child has to take full responsibility and punishment for not following some arbitrary, baseless rules then the parents should take full responsibility and punishment for not breaking the chain.

Right, but it isn't useful to punish this kind of 'crime' anyway, these kind of parents are already punishing themselves (or at least their god virus is) for not doing a proper job of indoctrinating their kids. Religion as a sexually transmitted mental illness is a better paradigm. What a touching and beautiful video, though. It should be shown as a commercial during the Superbowl -- America's other religion. How much would that cost? Bill Gates? Ya wanna do something really useful for mankind? Smile

"Heresy makes for progress" - Hypatia Bradlaugh Bonner
[1 Corinthians 13:11] When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things. - The Bible King James Version. See? Even the Bible says "Put me down!" Big Grin