The Pledge of Allegiance

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-10-2016, 05:52 PM
The Pledge of Allegiance
I've heard of atheists refusing to say America's Pledge of Allegiance because they are bothered by the line "under God."

How do you feel about it?

I've always just skipped over "under God" and said the rest of it. Recently, though, I haven't been standing at all, not because of that line, but because why bother standing if I don't have to? I don't see a good purpose. So far, no one seems to care whether I sit or stand, so...
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-10-2016, 05:57 PM
RE: The Pledge of Allegiance
Aside from a recent political rally, I can't recall the last time I had occasion to say The Pledge. At the rally, I just skipped the 'under god' part.
23-10-2016, 05:59 PM
Just mouthing the words is enough of an act of rebellion for me.

23-10-2016, 06:08 PM
I skip the under God part as well and put in Cthulhu instead Wink . I say the rest of it and do the stand thing.
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
23-10-2016, 06:32 PM
I still stand for it, so as not to draw attention to myself, but other than that I don't partake in the ritual anymore. I don't get anything out of it, other than being reminded of how susceptible people are to group coercion.

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
[+] 2 users Like cactus's post
23-10-2016, 06:33 PM
Uhhhh.... Yeah, if the line read, "Under Jesus," I sure has hell wouldn't say it. In a very loud voice, I'd skip the line and continue the pledge a line ahead of everyone else so as to throw off the people around me. Then they'd KNOW I objected to saying it.
[+] 1 user Likes Aliza's post
23-10-2016, 06:39 PM
(23-10-2016 06:33 PM)Aliza Wrote:  Uhhhh.... Yeah, if the line read, "Under Jesus," I sure has hell wouldn't say it. In a very loud voice, I'd skip the line and continue the pledge a line ahead of everyone else so as to throw off the people around me. Then they'd KNOW I objected to saying it.

You rebel. XD
[+] 1 user Likes AnaBunny's post
23-10-2016, 06:55 PM
I think it's unbelievably stupid. Flags can't hear or think or give commands.
[+] 4 users Like I'mFred's post
23-10-2016, 06:59 PM (This post was last modified: 23-10-2016 09:57 PM by Old Man Marsh.)
I pledge allegiance to the flag

[Image: Old+butt+gold+_02f5a686075b0186304c549548b856a8.jpg]

Because a golden ass would be too obvious

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
[+] 1 user Likes Old Man Marsh's post
23-10-2016, 07:29 PM
It bothers me because they *changed* the original Pledge from "one nation indivisible", its original wording, and literally divided it by adding the bit in the middle of the phrase about subjugating ourselves to monotheism.

It was changed in 1954 at the behest of the Knights of Columbus (a Catholic organization), which pressured/lobbied congress (its more-fundamentalist members) to change the Pledge in response to atheistic communism. This was at the height of the Red Scare, blacklisting, and the "House Un-American Activities Committee" witch-hunting... so no one dared to object.

It was around the same time that they also changed our national motto from "Out of Many, One" to the theocratic "In God We Trust", and put it on all our money, ensuring that every time I talk to a religious person about being an atheist, they're now able to point at a dollar bill and ask me, "How can you be an American and an atheist... after all, IN GOD WE TRUST!"

Rolleyes

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 12 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post