The Pledge of Allegiance

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-10-2016, 08:15 AM
RE: The Pledge of Allegiance
Just because there are worse systems doesn't mean I should be thankful. If I'm drowning I don't think well at least I'm not on fire.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like I'mFred's post
24-10-2016, 08:33 AM
(24-10-2016 08:15 AM)ImFred Wrote:  Just because there are worse systems doesn't mean I should be thankful. If I'm drowning I don't think well at least I'm not on fire.

Laugh out load "If I'm drowning I don't think well at least I'm not on fire." Laugh out load Can I borrow that line? I LOVE it!!!

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
24-10-2016, 08:58 AM
I find it ironic that people push for a compulsory loyalty oath that claims "liberty" for all. And then there is the whole injustice for all issue.
[+] 4 users Like Iñigo's post
24-10-2016, 09:00 AM
(24-10-2016 08:15 AM)ImFred Wrote:  Just because there are worse systems doesn't mean I should be thankful. If I'm drowning I don't think well at least I'm not on fire.

Well, alright then. Let us know when you come up with some new ideas. Thumbsup

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
24-10-2016, 09:14 AM
I haven't recited the pledge of allegiance in years but it always seems like a prayer to a flag or something. It's stupid. I think the last time was at an assembly at the high school where my husband teaches. So I did the same thing I do when I'm required to pray. I look down at my fingernails to see if I have any snags or hangnails....... kinda check my nails out and wait for it to be over. Girl_nails

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 3 users Like dancefortwo's post
24-10-2016, 12:21 PM
What would be a better system?
24-10-2016, 08:29 PM (This post was last modified: 24-10-2016 08:33 PM by AnaBunny.)
(24-10-2016 02:22 AM)Stevil Wrote:  I'm not an American, but as an outsider I find it a bit weird that a modern free country forces its young children to pledge to their flag each day.

Yeah, I feel basically the same way about it.
[+] 1 user Likes AnaBunny's post
24-10-2016, 09:13 PM
(24-10-2016 08:29 PM)AnaBunny Wrote:  
(24-10-2016 02:22 AM)Stevil Wrote:  I'm not an American, but as an outsider I find it a bit weird that a modern free country forces its young children to pledge to their flag each day.

Yeah, I feel basically the same way about it.

Agreed. It is unfortunate that there are people who don't think that said people are free to do as they will. To be clear, there is no requirement for standing or saying the pledge. The more that people understand this, the better it would be for everybody. There are cases where force is involved, and it is just wrong. I have taught school in the past (in the '90s), and we didn't do this at all then. Of course, it was a private school, but still.
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
25-10-2016, 04:20 AM
Right now it seems like we're trapped but I wish we could greatly reduce the world's population through some type of incentive based voluntary effort. Once we got the word's human population down to a few hundred million we could transition into pacifism and anarchism.
25-10-2016, 04:49 AM
(25-10-2016 04:20 AM)ImFred Wrote:  Right now it seems like we're trapped but I wish we could greatly reduce the world's population through some type of incentive based voluntary effort. Once we got the word's human population down to a few hundred million we could transition into pacifism and anarchism.

It's called war. The incentive is the booty.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post