The Pledge of Allegiance

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-10-2016, 04:53 AM
RE: The Pledge of Allegiance
(25-10-2016 04:20 AM)ImFred Wrote:  Right now it seems like we're trapped but I wish we could greatly reduce the world's population through some type of incentive based voluntary effort. Once we got the word's human population down to a few hundred million we could transition into pacifism and anarchism.

Except for the small problem of human nature. Dodgy
There are people who will not live and let live but will exert power over others.
Your model would work as well as libertarians' - that is to say not well.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
25-10-2016, 06:26 AM
I know this won't sell and the whole forum can pick it apart. Human nature and reality won't make me accept my oppression. I resent it no matter how reasonably it can be justified.
Find all posts by this user
25-10-2016, 06:28 AM
(25-10-2016 06:26 AM)ImFred Wrote:  I know this won't sell and the whole forum can pick it apart. Human nature and reality won't make me accept my oppression. I resent it no matter how reasonably it can be justified.

What oppression is that? Consider

25-10-2016, 08:20 AM
(25-10-2016 06:28 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(25-10-2016 06:26 AM)ImFred Wrote:  I know this won't sell and the whole forum can pick it apart. Human nature and reality won't make me accept my oppression. I resent it no matter how reasonably it can be justified.

What oppression is that? Consider

See the violence inherent in the system!

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
25-10-2016, 12:08 PM
(25-10-2016 08:20 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(25-10-2016 06:28 AM)Chas Wrote:  What oppression is that? Consider

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
25-10-2016, 12:35 PM
The Pledge of Allegiance is a lot like reciting prayers in church. Both eventually become mindless after you have said the same words enough time. So, if you're not actually thinking about what you're saying, what's the point? I generally stand with everyone else and recite it mainly because I don't see what I am accomplishing if I'm pretty much the only one in a given crowd resisting, but I won't say "under god". But, I would love to see us do away with this practice that is really nothing more than indoctrination. I love my country as much as anyone else, but I'm also not going to mindlessly agree with everything it does - disagreeing is sometimes far more patriotic when, for example, the disagreement is with something that is not in the country's best interest.

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post
25-10-2016, 12:42 PM
Hah. I think I'd go mental living in the US. That kind of mindless bullshit drives me up the wall.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
25-10-2016, 12:51 PM
(24-10-2016 05:21 AM)ImFred Wrote:  Democracy demands so much submission to authority that people actually consider it a cherished right to vote to have people lord over them. I don't want a leader. To me, it's like being told it's an honor and a privilege and my civic duty to choose my method of execution. By voting, you're stating in advance that you think a specific person should have power over you. I find that humiliating and an affront to my humanity.
Parents have authority over their children. Teachers have authority over their students. Coaches have authority over their players. Bosses have authority over their employees. In none of those cases is input from the people being led not accepted (generally speaking anyway). In fact, good leaders listen to and evaluate that input. The same is true of a Democracy at least by design. It serves a necessary leadership role - how else would you have things like police and fire departments, for example? Input from the citizens is allowed and valued. Granted, there is a lot of room for improvement there, but it does exist at least in the US in the form of voting, lobbying, communications with elected officials, media, and a variety of other ways. It's not about people having power over you. It's about people representing you (again, at least in theory) to see that the collective needs of all citizens are met.

(24-10-2016 05:21 AM)ImFred Wrote:  The economic system we're in is even worse. I never requested to live in a system that demands money to survive. It's almost impossible to escape the prison of a lifetime of trying to accumulate wealth or to just "earn" enough for food and shelter. Amazingly, people call these social traps freedom and democracy.
Are you saying you would prefer anarchy?

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
25-10-2016, 02:21 PM
I've decided I will no longer say the "Pledge of Allegiance"...

From now on, I'll simply mutter -- "Yeah, fine, motherfucker.... Whatever"......

Ultimately, the two utterances have just as much authority over one's life...

And rather than my hand over my heart, I'll simply scratch my balls....

Again - they're not that different.....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 3 users Like onlinebiker's post
25-10-2016, 02:37 PM
(25-10-2016 08:20 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(25-10-2016 06:28 AM)Chas Wrote:  What oppression is that? Consider

[+] 4 users Like Chas's post