The Pledge of Allegiance

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-10-2016, 02:40 PM
RE: The Pledge of Allegiance
I am not a fan of the Pledge (especially the revised version with the addition of "under God"), but I don't know where adults are encountering it. I haven't heard it or said it since elementary school, and that was roughly 50 years ago. I have never once encountered it in my adult life. If I were required to say it, I don't think I could remember how it goes.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-10-2016, 03:22 PM
"I'm being repressed!!!"

signed

Dennis the mud covered serf.....
25-10-2016, 05:10 PM
Quote:Are you saying you would prefer anarchy?

Yes. I encourage anyone who's interested to read up anarchism.

I think this pretty close to what I believe

https://nationalanarchistausnz.wordpress...ans-to-me/
25-10-2016, 05:21 PM
(25-10-2016 12:42 PM)morondog Wrote:  Hah. I think I'd go mental living in the US. That kind of mindless bullshit drives me up the wall.

I can't remember the last time I said the pledge. Not because of any refusal on my part, but just because I never encounter a situation where it's called for. It's been years at least.

I'm aware that the national anthem is played at sporting events, but doesn't every country play their national anthem before such an event?
25-10-2016, 11:16 PM
(25-10-2016 05:21 PM)Aliza Wrote:  
(25-10-2016 12:42 PM)morondog Wrote:  Hah. I think I'd go mental living in the US. That kind of mindless bullshit drives me up the wall.

I can't remember the last time I said the pledge. Not because of any refusal on my part, but just because I never encounter a situation where it's called for. It's been years at least.

I'm aware that the national anthem is played at sporting events, but doesn't every country play their national anthem before such an event?

Ah OK. Just some people seemed to be talking about saying it as adults. Yes national anthems are played all the time at sporting events. It makes me Rolleyes but no one seems to care if you don't stand or don't sing it. You guys seem to have a bunch of thought police wannabes over there.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
26-10-2016, 06:30 AM
(25-10-2016 11:16 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(25-10-2016 05:21 PM)Aliza Wrote:  I can't remember the last time I said the pledge. Not because of any refusal on my part, but just because I never encounter a situation where it's called for. It's been years at least.

Ah OK. Just some people seemed to be talking about saying it as adults. Yes national anthems are played all the time at sporting events. It makes me Rolleyes but no one seems to care if you don't stand or don't sing it. You guys seem to have a bunch of thought police wannabes over there.

Yeah, we do have some thought police activity here, but it's not institutionalized. It's more like neighbors putting their noses in other people's business.
26-10-2016, 06:58 AM
(26-10-2016 06:30 AM)Aliza Wrote:  
(25-10-2016 11:16 PM)morondog Wrote:  Ah OK. Just some people seemed to be talking about saying it as adults. Yes national anthems are played all the time at sporting events. It makes me Rolleyes but no one seems to care if you don't stand or don't sing it. You guys seem to have a bunch of thought police wannabes over there.

Yeah, we do have some thought police activity here, but it's not institutionalized. It's more like neighbors putting their noses in other people's business.

Aye, but 'round here neighbours keep their noses out, if they want to keep their noses.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
26-10-2016, 04:41 PM

Well that was awkward as fuck

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
[+] 1 user Likes cactus's post
26-10-2016, 04:57 PM
(23-10-2016 05:52 PM)AnaBunny Wrote:  I've heard of atheists refusing to say America's Pledge of Allegiance because they are bothered by the line "under God."

How do you feel about it?

I've always just skipped over "under God" and said the rest of it. Recently, though, I haven't been standing at all, not because of that line, but because why bother standing if I don't have to? I don't see a good purpose. So far, no one seems to care whether I sit or stand, so...

Lets start with "under god" should be gone entirely. Ever heard of separation of church and state. Also I don't think that anyone should ever "Have" to recite the pledge. Patriotism is earned from the people based on the actions of the country, NOT forced at youth. I will gladly say the pledge once my country truly represents a Republic, when my country actually provides liberty and justice for all not just over privilege white men. But until then I'm sitting my ass down and keeping my hat on.
[+] 1 user Likes Charles_The_Poet's post