"We Humans are capable of greatness." -Carl Sagan
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes NotSoVacuous's post
13-09-2011, 01:33 PM

RE: The Pledge of Allegiance
(13-09-2011 10:18 AM)NotSoVacuous Wrote:  [Image: nFJQa.jpg]

No, really.

Well, it can sometimes be hard, considering there are no limitations for how stupid people can be. I always assume people are retarded until proven otherwise.
Quote this message in a reply
13-09-2011, 05:14 PM
(13-09-2011 01:33 PM)Mark Wrote:  

No, really.

Well, it can sometimes be hard, considering there are no limitations for how stupid people can be. I always assume people are retarded until proven otherwise.

Not in this case, though. You'd have to be wants-to-screw-a-goldfish crazy in order to author most of that stuff. It's painfully obvious how fake it is. It's funny though.

Better without God, and happier too.
13-09-2011, 09:12 PM
I was an atheist early in life, so I always said the following pledge:

Quote:I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it sits, one nation under Bob, invisible, with liberty, and justice for all.

I said it this way up through middle school and high school. Yes it is silly, but I don't go around pledging to a leprechaun do I now?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like ghostexorcist's post
14-09-2011, 06:48 AM
(13-09-2011 09:12 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  I was an atheist early in life, so I always said the following pledge:

Quote:I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it sits, one nation under Bob, invisible, with liberty, and justice for all.

I said it this way up through middle school and high school. Yes it is silly, but I don't go around pledging to a leprechaun do I now?

why sits and invisible though? They aren't references to Christianity... (flag standing for the republic, republic is indivisible)

Better without God, and happier too.
14-09-2011, 10:44 AM
(14-09-2011 06:48 AM)Azaraith Wrote:  
(13-09-2011 09:12 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  I was an atheist early in life, so I always said the following pledge:

why sits and invisible though? They aren't references to Christianity... (flag standing for the republic, republic is indivisible)

Perhaps it's a protest against saying the stupid pledge every day? After all... why would I pledge my allegiance to a...flag?

1. I think that patriotism and nationalism are usually ingredients for disaster... I think the little 'chant' every day is nothing short of brainwashing.

2. The pledge is a mockery, liberty and justice for all? Yeah... right.

I think humans need to drop this nationalistic bullshit and work together if we are to survive as a species.

[Image: 1471821-futurama_bender_s_big_score_imag...er-1-1.jpg]
14-09-2011, 12:01 PM
(13-09-2011 01:33 PM)Mark Wrote:  

No, really.

This isn't an excuse for being gullible. There is a line that can be drawn to where you do not take someone seriously. The line happens to also be a point of "you can't reason with this person".

So whether or not this person is being serious, taking them serious is very pointless and hence arguing with them you will look as stupid as them. Arguing with them raises their credibility, and lowers yours.

"We Humans are capable of greatness." -Carl Sagan
15-09-2011, 01:06 AM
School is for education. The pledge of allegiance and (while we're at it) prayer have absolutely nothing to do with education. I don't mean that it should be optional whether to participate in the brain washing cult shit or not, I mean you don't need it at all.

"How do you pledge allegiance to a government anyways? " - Doug Stanhope
15-09-2011, 12:22 PM
I'm going to be an elementary teacher in a couple of years and I can't stand the fact that I'm going to have to lead the class in the pledge. I keep telling myself that they're just words, but it still bothers me.

I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires. – Susan B. Anthony
15-09-2011, 12:40 PM
(15-09-2011 12:22 PM)axiom90 Wrote:  I'm going to be an elementary teacher in a couple of years and I can't stand the fact that I'm going to have to lead the class in the pledge. I keep telling myself that they're just words, but it still bothers me.

teach them the Pre-1954 version, aka the correct original version.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley