The Pledge of Allegiance

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-09-2011, 10:08 AM
RE: The Pledge of Allegiance
(20-09-2011 09:51 AM)tjv323 Wrote:  I strongly encourage you to not say the original, it could be very bad for your career. I'd say either don't say it at all (no one will notice) or suck it up and say the pledge the way that won't get you in trouble, the kids don't even know what it means. Seriously though, parents will flip out and you could lose your job

Unfortunately you are right, especially since I'm in the south where most people think it would fix all the world's problems if prayer was placed back in the schools. It would likely create a stir and get me fired, or at least strongly disliked by my coworkers if I said anything other than the amended version of the pledge.

I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires. – Susan B. Anthony
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-09-2011, 10:21 AM
(20-09-2011 10:08 AM)axiom90 Wrote:  
(20-09-2011 09:51 AM)tjv323 Wrote:  I strongly encourage you to not say the original, it could be very bad for your career. I'd say either don't say it at all (no one will notice) or suck it up and say the pledge the way that won't get you in trouble, the kids don't even know what it means. Seriously though, parents will flip out and you could lose your job

Unfortunately you are right, especially since I'm in the south where most people think it would fix all the world's problems if prayer was placed back in the schools. It would likely create a stir and get me fired, or at least strongly disliked by my coworkers if I said anything other than the amended version of the pledge.

Who the hell is going to notice what you say in your own classroom, other than you?

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
20-09-2011, 10:57 AM
The kids might say something if they are older and have been at another school where the religious version is used. Not guaranteed, but possible. With very young kids you should be fine though.

Better without God, and happier too.
20-09-2011, 12:23 PM
Yeah I plan on teaching upper elementary. Kids can be pretty observant. All it takes is for one kid to notice and tell their religious parents about their heathen teacher. Haha, but I'll worry about it when it gets here I guess.

I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires. – Susan B. Anthony
20-09-2011, 12:32 PM
Well they can't legally fire you for it, nor could they legally fire you for being atheist. And if they try you can fight it. I don't necessarily mean sue them but you should have options. What are you teaching?

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley