The Politics of "Free Speech"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-10-2010, 04:33 PM

The Politics of "Free Speech"
Juan Williams gets "nervous" around Muslims on airplanes

NPR Fires Juan Williams over Anti-Muslim Remarks
Appearing on Fox News, Journalist Said He Gets "Nervous" When Seeing People in Muslim Garb on Airplanes
Quote this message in a reply
21-10-2010, 05:39 PM
RE: The Politics of "Free Speech"
Everyone should have the right to hate anything, regardless of how ridiculous their reasoning is.
I do not believe that people should be punished for saying anything. As long as nobody is physically hurt.

Understand though, that saying some things may win you a fist in the face regardless of what the law says.

http://www.youtube.com/user/MindprowlerMusic
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-10-2010, 05:58 PM
I hated the guy, I'm glad NPR fired him.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
22-10-2010, 08:02 AM
Quote:Everyone should have the right to hate anything, regardless of how ridiculous their reasoning is.
I do not believe that people should be punished for saying anything. As long as nobody is physically hurt.

In the US you have the freedom to say what you wish. However, what you do not have is the right to say something that can have a negative impact on your employer and expect to keep your job. There are countless examples of people spouting off on the airwaves and their employers bending to pressure because it's going to impact their revenue.

This is a bit different, though. Williams worked for "National Public Radio". I think that when tax payer dollars are funding you, then you've got a problem when you start making judgments on speech and firing people. I'm curious to see if there is a backlash form this, or even legal action.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
22-10-2010, 11:44 AM

(21-10-2010 05:58 PM)sosa Wrote:  I hated the guy, I'm glad NPR fired him.
Hating him is one thing. Firing him from a network that receives government funding, thereby violating his first amendment rights when nothing he said was racist, is quite another.

I look forward to seeing where this goes. NPR should set an example, not stoop so low as to need to be made an example of.
22-10-2010, 03:38 PM
You also don't have the right to slander others. This can cause a legal battle which will challenge you to defend the validity of your statements.
22-10-2010, 03:47 PM

(22-10-2010 03:38 PM)No J. Wrote:  You also don't have the right to slander others. This can cause a legal battle which will challenge you to defend the validity of your statements.

Did you find slander apparent in Juan Williams remarks?
22-10-2010, 04:35 PM
yeah, I don't get that either. Whom did he slander? He said he felt uncomfortable on a plane with people in traditional Muslim garb. How is that slander?

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
22-10-2010, 06:25 PM
(22-10-2010 03:47 PM)GassyKitten Wrote:  
(22-10-2010 03:38 PM)No J. Wrote:  You also don't have the right to slander others. This can cause a legal battle which will challenge you to defend the validity of your statements.

Did you find slander apparent in Juan Williams remarks?

No. This was an addition to Mindprowler's post about saying anything you want and not getting punished. I am not contradicting him, just adding an element that I feel he missed.

Sorry about being unclear.
22-10-2010, 07:04 PM
His employer, whether its funded by the goverment or not, has editorial standards are rules. If he breaks them then why should he be exempt?

Freedom of speech doesnt mean you can do whatever the fuck you want to do
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  US Politics Quiz DLJ 36 446 13-07-2014 10:50 PM
Last Post: Nurse
  Steven Seagal goes into politics? Luminon 0 43 30-06-2014 01:36 AM
Last Post: Luminon
  New Zealand politics, who's pumped for this years election? earmuffs 69 641 26-06-2014 12:10 AM
Last Post: earmuffs
  Thanks for your unwavering support of free will, God! rampant.a.i. 2 96 17-06-2014 08:53 AM
Last Post: DLJ
Exclamation "Free" is a lie. Very interesting video. PoolBoyG 0 68 30-04-2014 06:57 AM
Last Post: PoolBoyG
  All Politics are Primal GirlyMan 8 152 06-04-2014 01:06 PM
Last Post: Full Circle
  When will the GOP stop mixing politics in religion Aleprauchanist 15 236 31-03-2014 10:44 AM
Last Post: RobbyPants