The Pope's Easter Message

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-04-2011, 08:51 AM
The Pope's Easter Message
Quote:VATICAN CITY – Pope Benedict XVI marked the holiest night of the year for Christians by stressing that humanity isn't a random product of evolution.
Benedict emphasized the Biblical account of creation in his Easter Vigil homily Saturday, saying it was wrong to think at some point "in some tiny corner of the cosmos there evolved randomly some species of living being capable of reasoning and of trying to find rationality within creation, or to bring rationality into it."
"If man were merely a random product of evolution in some place on the margins of the universe, then his life would make no sense or might even be a chance of nature," he said. "But no, reason is there at the beginning: creative, divine reason."

I'm not one to bash the Pope, or any religious types; as some of you already know, I am more concerned about atheists getting their logic straight. But, I find reports about the Pope's opinions on the Creationism-Evolution discussion to be more worthy of consideration then that of the mere groundlings. The Pope is bound to have a staff, not unlike a political leader has a staff, to help compose public pronouncements - Right?

Anyway, this Easter Message is interesting to me because I recognize a fault that I'll bet is not as significant as it should be to atheists. I believe atheists are more concerned about the Pope's popularity and subsequent opportunity to lead the people to reject theism and religion, and become as dedicated critical thinkers like atheists are, and that that will lead to the better evolution of mankind - Right? Isn't that the collective atheist toleration of the Pope - that he is a leader who is lying to the people for selfish power?

So anyway, to prove my point, tell me what you think about the Pope's message and explain why it so abhorrent and why the Pope should be put in jail, or what ever you think should be done; and then I will give you my brilliant analysis, based of course, on my impeccable critical thinking skills.

Humanism - ontological doctrine that posits that humans define reality
Theism - ontological doctrine that posits a supernatural entity creates and defines reality
Atheism - political doctrine opposed to theist doctrine in public policy
I am right, and you are wrong - I hope you die peacefullyCool
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-04-2011, 09:14 AM
RE: The Pope's Easter Message
Evolution is anything but random. He should know that before criticizing it.The Pope is just like any random blissfully ignorant catholic old guy, except for the rather tragic fact that he can influence millions of people. He should be more careful with that power than to reject scientific facts.

..."we can be truly free - not because we can rebel against the the tyranny of the selfish replicators but because we know that there is no one to rebel."
Susan Blackmore : The Meme Machine
24-04-2011, 09:53 AM
Since when did we care what the pope thinks?

Oh that's right, we don't.

24-04-2011, 11:11 AM
We don't but sadly many people do.

..."we can be truly free - not because we can rebel against the the tyranny of the selfish replicators but because we know that there is no one to rebel."
Susan Blackmore : The Meme Machine
24-04-2011, 11:19 AM
You're surprised the pope backed the bible? If he were to state that the alternatives have any credibility then he would probably stop being the pope. He's the figurehead for an organized religion who makes speeches about religion and the world. Catholicism has always taken the stance that the bible needs keeper's and those keeper's can aid in telling it's proper message as the world changes. The Pope is the top of the huge line of people devoted to keeping Catholicism from dying out. Even if he does not fully believe the accounts of Genesis he can't just say so. There's very little the pope does to surprise me, it's just like other figureheads such as Britain's royalty. They can't really deny the views they were tasked to uphold so all they can do is repeat the same thing in different ways.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
24-04-2011, 02:34 PM
3 words...

Silly old man!

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
24-04-2011, 03:44 PM
Quote:Silly old man!
Silly old man with a funny hat originally designed for a rabbit. There's a difference.

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.
24-04-2011, 04:44 PM
(24-04-2011 08:51 AM)TrainWreck Wrote:  So anyway, to prove my point, tell me what you think about the Pope's message and explain why it so abhorrent and why the Pope should be put in jail, or what ever you think should be done; and then I will give you my brilliant analysis, based of course, on my impeccable critical thinking skills.

Your hat size is like an extra, extra, extra large, isn't it?

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
24-04-2011, 04:58 PM
It's depressing sure, but hopefully in time creationism will die out.

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
24-04-2011, 09:55 PM
Actually, what the pope thinks affects what he says, which affects what catholics believe, which affects what catholics do, which affects us. This is likely to bolster catholic ambitions in pushing there ideas and it will most likely going to influence bible belt areas like Texas and Arkansas.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.