The Pope visited Croatia...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-06-2011, 04:46 AM
The Pope visited Croatia...
We are relatively poor country, on a verge of bankruptcy, yet we manage to spend millions of Euros on that event, the Popes visit. OK, it's nice to promote our country, a lot of people would say, maybe we will get some of the religious tourism... I hardly doubt it. Now he is gone, back to Vatican and we are left with his political ideas. Let me explain. He was speaking a lot about abortions and the "old" law we have that permits abortions in specialized clinics. That law is so old, it been there for the last 20, maybe 30 years. What has gotten me angry is Croatian politicians and the leading party, they have actually started to revise that law BECAUSE THE POPE SAID SO!! I can not believe how incredibly idiotic they can be. So of all the millions we spend, of all the messages of peace we could hear, and all the messages of unity and prosperity, all we are left is the change in one normal law to something that is now dictated from the church... And there was also some bishop that was openly talking against homosexual marriage, how it is not normal, and then they were all talking how Croatia is and has to a part of EU, how we are a modern and great state. Yeah, right, excellent state that goes back to dark middle ages. Lets kill all the gays and everyone who ever considered to have an abortion, no matter the reasons! Thats the real European and modern opinion and I am soooooo proud to be called a Croatian...

Jesus Christ.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-06-2011, 07:22 AM (This post was last modified: 07-06-2011 07:49 AM by Efrx86.)
RE: The Pope visited Croatia...
I feel your pain. Not very long ago a law was passed in my country (Dominican Republic, also a very Catholic country) banning all kinds of abortion due to heavy lobbying by the Catholic church. It used to be illegal anyway, with exceptions for fetal defects and endangerment of the mother's life, but even that is banned now. It's insane. At least the legislators don't listen to the pope when he bashes contraception.

And regarding gays, this is a VERY gay-bashing country mostly thanks to church influence. It's not illegal to be gay, but gays face a lot of discrimination. Slurs against gays aren't uncommon. Gay couples don't hold hands in the streets or even hang out too much in public for fear of getting beat up. Sometimes they stay away from the city altogether and live in small resort towns. Public figures and newspaper columnists speak out against them, and they are constantly bashed in social media. When LBGT groups organize parades, they meet a lot of opposition. Even bringing up the topic of same-sex marriage in a conversation is either an abomination or just plain stupid. Only tourists are left alone. And while you could attribute all this gay-bashing to the "macho" culture in the country, or fear of AIDS (we're next to Haiti, and at 1% our own rate of AIDS is a bit high), it's mostly thanks to the Catholic church's influence that gay rights are never respected here.

The God excuse: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument. "God did it." Anything we can't describe must have come from God. - George Carlin

Whenever I'm asked "What if you're wrong?", I always show the asker this video: http://youtu.be/iClejS8vWjo Screw Pascal's wager.
07-06-2011, 11:52 AM
We had a Papal visit last year too (England), and I know your frustration even though he didn't leave us any lasting problems as he seems to have done to you. We just had to spend millions of pounds to have him come here and compare secularism to Nazism. Found it most ironic that a former member of the Hitler youth can call ME a Nazi.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
08-06-2011, 02:58 AM
Wouau, it's so cool that the Catholic church is so modern and tolerant. I really love how they care for all people and how they follow the "love commandment" - Love thy neighbor as thyself. Also it's great how in smaller villages (like the one where I live) the church bell rings a specific tune when someone dies, but they don't ring if that someone was not a member of the church, no matter what he did, or how great a person he was, or how much he helped the church or the priest personally. Catholic church is great, I don't see how you all can be atheist. Shame on you.

Smile

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
06-09-2011, 05:51 PM
I had to revive the thread for this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQ9sJVJMi...r_embedded

It's a series, with lots of footage you might recognize

If you pray to anything, you're prey to anything.