The Power of Love

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-11-2014, 07:26 AM
The Power of Love
Lets just get this out of the way now:

(05-11-2014 06:00 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  I would claim that certain views on love, may in essence lead to God belief, but I rather do this by starting from the beginning, in exploring the idea of love. If you're not up for this discussion that's fine, but I opening it up to whoever is interested.

This is just a placeholder obviously. I'm not sure Tom wants to say or how he intends to say it. I'm just writing this up to reinforce my interest in the discussion and so I can be a smarmy fuck (always a primary motivator).

Soulless mutants of muscle and intent. There are billions of us; hardy, smart and dangerous. Shaped by millions of years of death. We are the definitive alpha predator. We build monsters of fire and stone. We bottled the sun. We nailed our god to a stick.

In man's struggle against the world, bet on the man.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 7 users Like Stuffed_Assumption_Meringue's post
05-11-2014, 12:10 PM
RE: The Power of Love
Wonder why so many believe that a deity = love. From the deities we have seen throughout history...they seem to hate. They seem to want us to hate those they hate. Especially the Bible version. Is that love?

Be true to yourself. Heart
[+] 4 users Like Deidre32's post
05-11-2014, 12:24 PM
Well we know this sensation must have nothing to do with chemical reactions... so it must be some mysterious power right?

The whole God is love is just a simple way to diver all good things to the god.. by literally having those qualities BE god, it just cuts out a step in the process of God giving humanity those qualities.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
05-11-2014, 12:33 PM
(05-11-2014 12:24 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  Well we know this sensation must have nothing to do with chemical reactions... so it must be some mysterious power right?

The whole God is love is just a simple way to diver all good things to the god.. by literally having those qualities BE god, it just cuts out a step in the process of God giving humanity those qualities.

Shades of Drich...please don't go there again Sadcryface

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
05-11-2014, 01:05 PM
It is indeed a curious thing.
05-11-2014, 01:29 PM
Haven't you heard guys, "God IS love"
The problem is theist take metaphors way to literally. But then there is this discussion of what is and what isn't metaphor, it's very troubling. Shoot, people die over these things.

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
[+] 1 user Likes grizzlysnake's post
09-11-2014, 09:48 AM
(05-11-2014 12:24 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  Well we know this sensation must have nothing to do with chemical reactions... so it must be some mysterious power right?

I should say the quoted part of my post, wasn't claiming God is love. In fact I could perhaps argue the same point I was making if I was a non-believer.

I wasn't speaking of love in essence of how it's felt, but in relationship to the beliefs people hold about it, in regards to its power and abilities, where the sort of Love they have in mind, is more that just a chemical feeling, but almost something of a supernatural force. I'll provide the quotes I used in the my original post:

Quote:""Darkness cannot drive out darkness:
only light can do that.
Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that." -MLK

"Where there is love there is life." -Gandhi

"Love is a force more formidable than any other. It is invisible - it cannot be seen or measured, yet it is powerful enough to transform you in a moment, and offer you more joy than any material possession could."-
Barbara de Angelis

"Love conquers all."- Virgil/Also from the movie Frozen

Of course, you might not share these views of love, but views such as this lend themselves to some sort of God belief, not necessarily any particular God, but when your views on love extend in such a way, the view of the world becomes one that's endowed with some sense of intent and purpose, or in other words teleological. No longer does the world exist as a product of some blind unguided process, but rather created by a power capable of creating with intent and purpose, a power with qualities such as foresight.

This was my argument in a nut shell. It wasn't really an argument for the existence of God, but rather showing how certain views of reality, are suggestive of it being a product of some sort of creative force, if in fact the views were true.
09-11-2014, 11:24 AM
(09-11-2014 09:48 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  I'll provide the quotes I used in the my original post:

Quote:""Darkness cannot drive out darkness:
only light can do that.
Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that." -MLK

"Where there is love there is life." -Gandhi

"Love is a force more formidable than any other. It is invisible - it cannot be seen or measured, yet it is powerful enough to transform you in a moment, and offer you more joy than any material possession could."-
Barbara de Angelis

"Love conquers all."- Virgil/Also from the movie Frozen

Of course, you might not share these views of love, but views such as this lend themselves to some sort of God belief...

What? Why?

Citation needed...

(09-11-2014 09:48 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  ... not necessarily any particular God, but when your views on love extend in such a way, the view of the world becomes one that's endowed with some sense of intent and purpose, or in other words teleological. No longer does the world exist as a product of some blind unguided process, but rather created by a power capable of creating with intent and purpose, a power with qualities such as foresight.

This was my argument in a nut shell. It wasn't really an argument for the existence of God, but rather showing how certain views of reality, are suggestive of it being a product of some sort of creative force, if in fact the views were true.

Except all that's just so much blind supposition, and it only illustrates how if one begins with presupposition A, one can interpret any "evidence" as re-affirming A.

... this is my signature!
[+] 2 users Like cjlr's post
09-11-2014, 12:20 PM
(05-11-2014 12:10 PM)Deidre32 Wrote:  Wonder why so many believe that a deity = love.

Associative property. God=love, love = void, god = 0. Thumbsup

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
09-11-2014, 01:10 PM
(09-11-2014 11:24 AM)cjlr Wrote:  Except all that's just so much blind supposition, and it only illustrates how if one begins with presupposition A, one can interpret any "evidence" as re-affirming A.

?

What is presupposition A?