"The Power of Myth" by Joseph Campbell with Bill Moyers

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-02-2013, 05:30 PM (This post was last modified: 07-02-2013 07:26 PM by LadyJane.)
"The Power of Myth" by Joseph Campbell with Bill Moyers
A local book club will be discussing this book. I got a little excited when I found out because this seems like an atheist book or at least agnostic. Am I correct? I'm kind of hoping when I go that I will meet other non-believers.

Deconverting Support: r/Deconverting and r/Freethinker
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-02-2013, 05:31 PM
RE: "The Power of Myth" by Joseph Campbell with Bill Moyers
cool story bro, needs more dinosaur

I don't talk gay, I don't walk gay, it's like people don't even know I'm gay unless I'm blowing them.
[Image: 10h27hu.jpg]
07-02-2013, 05:36 PM
If you prefer...
http://www.ovguide.com/tv/joseph_campbel...f_myth.htm

07-02-2013, 05:51 PM
Thanks.

I got the dvd and book to read. Mainly what I'm asking is should I walk into this book club expecting it to be a group of believers discussing myths from believer's perspective or is it more likely this group will be non-believers discussing myths from a more realistic perspective?

From what I'm gathering, it also discusses Christianity so I don't know what to expect.

07-02-2013, 06:11 PM
(07-02-2013 05:51 PM)kpax Wrote:  Thanks.

I got the dvd and book to read. Mainly what I'm asking is should I walk into this book club expecting it to be a group of believers discussing myths from believer's perspective or is it more likely this group will be non-believers discussing myths from a more realistic perspective?

From what I'm gathering, it also discusses Christianity so I don't know what to expect.

Hang on, lemme polish my balls of crystal.

The mist is clearing...

I see figures...

I see...

No, sorry, the vision has gone.

Consider

As in Dawkins' Magic of Reality the Judeo-Christian myths seem to be treated as objectively as all other myths.

I hope you will be pleasantly surprised to find yourself amongst other critical thinkers.
Perhaps you should prepare yourself for this kinda reaction...

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
07-02-2013, 06:19 PM
You have balls of crystal? You rub them often? Thumbsup

Yeah, I hope so. I just don't know what I'm walking into lol. Perhaps I will have more understanding once I watch the video.

I plan to just go and listen until it's obvious they aren't some group of myth believers ironically talking about myths. Shocking Oh boy that's going to be a situation considering this thing is about an hour and a half.

[+] 1 user Likes kpax's post
07-02-2013, 06:32 PM
Some nice little quotes in this one:

"I don't have to have faith; I have experience"
"That's what people are doing all over the place... dying for metaphors!"

(07-02-2013 05:31 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  cool story bro, needs more dinosaur

Don't show your laziness, dude, there be shitloads of dragons.

07-02-2013, 06:46 PM (This post was last modified: 07-02-2013 10:22 PM by Bucky Ball.)
Campbell was an atheist. He was a Professor of Comparative Mythology, or something like that. He ascribed no utimate significance to any of the myth systems, (religions). Moyers tried a few times to get him to say exactly what he was, as at that point Moyers was at least a nominal believer. Campbell resisted, but not obviously. He said the myths, (religious sytems/metaphors) attempted to impart "truth" in their own way. If the people at the conference know what he's all about there may be a bunch of evil heathen atheists there, if you're lucky.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist
The noblest of the dogs is the hot dog. It feeds the hand that bites it.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
07-02-2013, 11:10 PM
Hey, Kpax.

Joseph Campbell held myth in high regard. He's most famous for his book "The Hero With a Thousand Faces" for which he was interviewed by Moyers and in which he outlined the monomyth; or the hero's journey. He suggested, rightly so, that when you look at the stories of heroes across cultures (Gita, Jesus, Gilgamesh, Beowulf, Sigfried, Hercules, Luke Skywalker, Neo) all of the stories follow the same cycle.

DEPARTURE
-The Call to Adventure
-Refusal of the Call
-Supernatural Aid
-The Crossing of the First Threshold
-The Belly of the Whale

INITIATION
-The Road of Trials
-The Meeting With the Goddess
-Woman as Temptress
-Atonement with the Father
-Apotheosis
-The Ultimate Boon

RETURN
-Refusal of the Return
-The Magic Flight
-Rescue from Without
-The Crossing of the Return Threshold
-Master of Two Worlds
-Freedom to Live

Star Wars is one of the most famous modern monomyths because Lucas was actually friends with Campbell.

Campbell also speaks about the use of Jungian archetypal characters in monomyth.

Pocahontas, Lion King, Alice in Wonderland, The Wizard of Oz, Avatar, all monomyths.

Anyhoo, I don't think that the discussion will be about what you're expecting it to be about.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
[+] 1 user Likes Ghost's post
08-02-2013, 08:36 AM
The Hero with a Thousand Faces was something I read in my teens that really cemented my non-belief. Without being aggressive, he painted a picture of the various myths in the world's cultures that told a similar story that ultimately tried to explain and to provide comfort. I may need to re-read it.