The Pratchett Thread

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 4 Average
20-04-2010, 06:59 AM (This post was last modified: 20-04-2010 07:35 AM by Unbeliever.)
The Pratchett Thread
Anyone else here read any of Pratchett's work? Thoughts? Comments?

Of course, as you can probably tell from the fact that I constantly have one of his quotes in my signature, I hold him in rather high regard. In my opinion, he is nothing less than the greatest writer to ever live. If you haven't read any of his books, do so now.

He's written:

- The Johnny Maxwell Trilogy: Only You Can Save Mankind, Johnny and the Dead, and Johnny and the Bomb. Young adult science-fiction with a dash of absurdist humor.
- The Bromeliad Trilogy: Truckers, Diggers and Wings. Again, young adult sci-fi, but less humor this time.
- The Dark Side of the Sun: His first foray into serious writing. Not as good as his later books, but still good.
- Strata: His last book before creating the Discworld series that he is so famous for. This one was obviously the groundwork for the Disc series - it actually tells the story of spacefarers who find a flat planet that is shielded from the rest of the universe, where magic functions and demons and gods walk the earth.
- The Discworld Series: His most famous books by far, there are at least thirty-six different novels in print and counting. Set on a flat planet that travels through space on the back of Great A'tuin the Star Turtle, the Discworld books tell the story of a world inhabited by dwarves, trolls, vampires, werewolves, gnomes, wizards, witches, elves, pictsies, phoenixes, gods, demons, Things From the Dungeon Dimensions, and the odd human. Pratchett uses the Disc as a kind of mirror to Earth. Each one of the books comments on a different feature of life here, some serious, some not. For example, Night Watch comments on morality, loyalty and duty, while Hogfather talks about belief and what it means to be human - and Maskerade makes fun of opera. The line currently in my signature is from Feet of Clay, a brilliant parody of I, Robot.

So either go read his stuff or comment on it here if you already have. Big Grin
Also, I found a place where you can read The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents online. Enjoy!

http://castrow.com/TP/28%20-%20The%20Ama...odents.pdf

"Sometimes it is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness."
- Terry Pratchett
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
The Pratchett Thread - Unbeliever - 20-04-2010 06:59 AM
RE: The Pratchett Thread - Unbeliever - 20-04-2010, 03:46 PM
RE: The Pratchett Thread - ulfark - 25-04-2010, 01:06 AM
RE: The Pratchett Thread - Ceryle - 25-04-2010, 10:10 AM
RE: The Pratchett Thread - Unbeliever - 25-04-2010, 11:24 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Offensive Joke Thread Vosur 671 27,185 19-07-2014 08:19 PM
Last Post: CiderThinker
  Funny sign thread. JDog554 45 892 04-06-2014 04:34 PM
Last Post: CindysRain
  The Derren Brown Thread Hughsie 12 770 06-03-2014 05:58 AM
Last Post: NoraBrimstone
Wink The Religious Unintentional Joke Thread Dark Light 34 4,029 29-01-2014 03:13 PM
Last Post: Vera
  Trekkie Thread. LadyJane 64 3,209 04-12-2013 04:34 PM
Last Post: Caveman