The Preacher who decided to "Try On" Atheism loses his job!!!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-01-2014, 02:32 PM
The Preacher who decided to "Try On" Atheism loses his job!!!
This is an interesting story, but Hemant Mehta has been chronicling it better than I ever could, so I'll post his links below.

Basically, there's this Seventh Day Adventist minister and blogger, Ryan Bell, who was asked to step down from his pastorship after asking too many questions about the policy of the church toward homosexuals and women. He decided to do one of those "Year Of" BS challenges where he would take a "Year Without God." He announced this on his Huffington Post blog on New Year's Eve:

HuffPo: A Year Without God: A Former Pastor's Journey Into Atheism

Well, he came under a bit of fire from both sides of the aisle on this one. Here's Hemant Mehta's take on it from Friendly Atheist:

Friendly Atheist: To the Pastor Giving Atheism a Shot for a Year: You’re Doing It Wrong

From his church, however, he had an even more hateful reaction... They fired him from ALL of his work with the church for as long as he was choosing to deny his faith:

Year Without God: The Cost of Atheism (or just asking questions)

Today, the Friendly Atheist blog decided that this was a bit of an extreme reaction on the part of the church, and is trying to help the guy out. Here's Hemant's article as well as the link for the GoFundMe site that Hemant set up to collect money to help this guy out. If you can find it in your heart, this would be an excellent opportunity to show this struggling Christian that we support his journey!

Friendly Atheist: Remember the Pastor Trying Out Atheism for a Year? He Just Got Fired by His Christian Employers. Let’s Help Him Out

GoFundMe: For the Pastor Giving Atheism a Try...

What do you all think about this? I'd like to know what your reactions are to Ryan's "year without God," his church's reaction, and also to the Friendly Atheist's appeal to help him out. I personally think this is one of those "What the heck did Ryan THINK would happen? He worked for a SEMINARY!" however I did kick a few bucks toward the campaign because, above all else, we need some more outspoken theist converts, and what better investment could we as a community make than to out-Christian the Christians when they descend on one of their own. We need, as a community, to welcome potential converts with open arms (and open wallets, if need be) so we can prove to them what we already know: HUMANISM > THEISM!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like cybertuna's post
06-01-2014, 05:27 PM
RE: The Preacher who decided to "Try On" Atheism loses his job!!!
Hemant Mehta is such a good bloke, isn't he? Organising some emergency dosh for this bloke who Just Didn't Think It Through. Laughat

Personally I wouldn't piss in that preacher's ear if his brain was on fire much less reach into my pocket now he's destitute but then I'm just not that friendly.

-- Max

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone else's blood. I am not afraid to go out of it that way.
[+] 1 user Likes nooneofconsequence's post
06-01-2014, 05:29 PM
[Image: meanwhile-in-scotland.jpg]

[Image: RPYH95t.png]
[+] 8 users Like The Germans are coming's post
06-01-2014, 05:39 PM
And people still wonder why atheists don't often admit their atheism. Drinking Beverage

Fucking stupid.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

[+] 3 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
06-01-2014, 06:20 PM
I thought the guys thoughts on losing his job were nice. He realized that atheists are more discriminated against than most realize, and he thought it was quite odd that the people who employed him didn't think exploring your faith, asking questions about it, etc were a good idea. I'm somewhat enjoying following this so far.
[+] 6 users Like Smercury44's post
06-01-2014, 06:28 PM
This might become a national story giving atheists in the south a little push to enddiscrimination. We'll see what happens

“The reason people use a crucifix against vampires is because vampires are allergic to bullshit.” ― Richard Pryor
[+] 1 user Likes djkamilo's post
06-01-2014, 06:51 PM
I read this story today thru a link on Facebook.

I think his employer knew if he was willing to go 'down the rabbit hole' for a year, that he wouldn't be back. Better to extinguish this flame early before it comes back and becomes an inferno in the church.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 1 user Likes Bows and Arrows's post
06-01-2014, 07:54 PM
I was always taught growing up in church that "You've got to know what you believe and why you believe it"
For all his employers know, he want's to study atheist arguments and really put himself if their shoes so he can make his faith/witness even stronger.
If you are intimidated by someone searching and asking questions, then you must question your beliefs!

They must all know their faith is BS too if they are intimidated that much.
Like Bows and Arrows said, they know he won't be back.Rolleyes

Good for you OP for donating.
Humanism>Theism...I like that.
07-01-2014, 03:43 AM
Saw this on Facebook, my favorite comment by far was something like "great! Now the pastor's found a way to tithe atheists!" Hilarious. I feel bad for the guy, but I dunno if I feel so bad for him I'd give him some cash... Maybe after some more reading I'll make up my mind.
[+] 1 user Likes Colourcraze's post
07-01-2014, 04:07 AM
(07-01-2014 03:43 AM)Colourcraze Wrote:  Saw this on Facebook, my favorite comment by far was something like "great! Now the pastor's found a way to tithe atheists!" Hilarious. I feel bad for the guy, but I dunno if I feel so bad for him I'd give him some cash... Maybe after some more reading I'll make up my mind.

There are plenty of people I'd rather give my money to than exhibit A.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post