The Preacher who decided to "Try On" Atheism loses his job!!!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-01-2014, 04:12 AM
RE: The Preacher who decided to "Try On" Atheism loses his job!!!
This is making national news and it is great. There are so many closet atheists still out there, I hope it makes everyone think.... especially our closeted friends.

It doesn't even matter how it ends, the more often the public light shines on the subject, the better.

Having watched the gay and women's movements start from the closet and succeed, watching this makes me happy. The more people get coverage related to atheism, the better. Thumbsup

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
09-01-2014, 01:38 AM
For the sake of unity:

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...#pid462299
http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...#pid458046

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
13-01-2014, 02:29 PM
In all honesty, when I first heard about this I thought it was great. Although, after reading the links I have to say that I can relate.
I've lost many friends, a good relationship with my father and yet I'm still a closet atheist to most of my family. I don't think a single one of them truly accepts me for who I am. There's no other way to feel that than with what just happened to him. This is no longer religious issue in my opinion, this is a humanist issue (as previously stated).
If we don't help, then we are no better than those who fired him. If you believe there is good without a God then prove it.

Atir aissom atir imon
13-01-2014, 02:44 PM
(13-01-2014 02:29 PM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  If we don't help, then we are no better than those who fired him. If you believe there is good without a God then prove it.

Good without God equates to giving money to this bloke because he lost his job ? How's about every other person who loses their job, should I mail them a cheque too ? I'll get on it. Dodgy

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
13-01-2014, 02:52 PM
(13-01-2014 02:44 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(13-01-2014 02:29 PM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  If we don't help, then we are no better than those who fired him. If you believe there is good without a God then prove it.

Good without God equates to giving money to this bloke because he lost his job ? How's about every other person who loses their job, should I mail them a cheque too ? I'll get on it. Dodgy

No, I'm not talking about equality, I'm talking about the point. A very common argument is that "there is no good without God", but how does it look that this man's own church is shunning him while atheists actually help? This is PR bro, but for me it has more meaning from my personal experience.

Atir aissom atir imon
13-01-2014, 03:03 PM
(13-01-2014 02:52 PM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  No, I'm not talking about equality, I'm talking about the point. A very common argument is that "there is no good without God", but how does it look that this man's own church is shunning him while atheists actually help? This is PR bro, but for me it has more meaning from my personal experience.

If you wanna give him your cash, have at it. IMO it's meaningless to somehow promote the idea that we are 'better' than the religious. It will be transparently seen through as a stunt. I'd rather do my own thing...

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
13-01-2014, 03:47 PM
(13-01-2014 03:03 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(13-01-2014 02:52 PM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  No, I'm not talking about equality, I'm talking about the point. A very common argument is that "there is no good without God", but how does it look that this man's own church is shunning him while atheists actually help? This is PR bro, but for me it has more meaning from my personal experience.

If you wanna give him your cash, have at it. IMO it's meaningless to somehow promote the idea that we are 'better' than the religious. It will be transparently seen through as a stunt. I'd rather do my own thing...

It's less about being "better" than it is about being equal. Good without God just as there *can* be good with.

Atir aissom atir imon
[+] 1 user Likes Im_Ryan's post