The Pressure to Pray

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-08-2013, 09:19 PM
RE: The Pressure to Pray
(30-08-2013 08:44 PM)southernbelle Wrote:  I'm getting a minimum of three Bible quotes per day sent via text.

Maybe tell a truth that isn't really your main motivation. Like, maybe, "I need to cut down on my texting because of my service plan, can you take me off that list?" If you're on an unlimited plan, change it first... you or your folks might save some money in the process.

I'm against lying. I'm not against adjusting situations so that the truth becomes more convenient.

WWMWAZSKDTVQHTMJD?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-08-2013, 09:20 PM
(30-08-2013 09:04 PM)southernbelle Wrote:  
(30-08-2013 08:47 PM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  Are you at public school?

Yes. I find it weird that the school is allowed to open every football game with a prayer, open and close graduation with one, and have youth directors from churches to come in and pass out pamphlets during lunch considering it's a public school. Then again there's also a "In God We Trust" sign in every single classroom in the state.
Wait what! That's got to be illegal!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
30-08-2013, 09:32 PM
(30-08-2013 09:20 PM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  
(30-08-2013 09:04 PM)southernbelle Wrote:  Yes. I find it weird that the school is allowed to open every football game with a prayer, open and close graduation with one, and have youth directors from churches to come in and pass out pamphlets during lunch considering it's a public school. Then again there's also a "In God We Trust" sign in every single classroom in the state.
Wait what! That's got to be illegal!

The "In God We Trust" thing is state law as of 2001. Every teacher is required to hang that sign somewhere in their classroom regardless of their religious beliefs. And the whole prayer thing probably is illegal but because we live in such a heavily conservative place, it goes unnoticed. I guess the argument would be that because it's a student leading the prayer that it's not illegal even if lead over the speaker system. The whole youth director coming in thing might be argued as being okay because they technically aren't advertising God and believing in God but rather an optional non-school affiliated worship service thing. I don't know. It's been going on since middle school and that's always been the best explanation I could come up with.
30-08-2013, 09:53 PM
(30-08-2013 09:32 PM)southernbelle Wrote:  
(30-08-2013 09:20 PM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  Wait what! That's got to be illegal!

The "In God We Trust" thing is state law as of 2001. Every teacher is required to hang that sign somewhere in their classroom regardless of their religious beliefs. And the whole prayer thing probably is illegal but because we live in such a heavily conservative place, it goes unnoticed. I guess the argument would be that because it's a student leading the prayer that it's not illegal even if lead over the speaker system. The whole youth director coming in thing might be argued as being okay because they technically aren't advertising God and believing in God but rather an optional non-school affiliated worship service thing. I don't know. It's been going on since middle school and that's always been the best explanation I could come up with.
Your school sounds almost as bad as Oakland High my junior and senior year. I'm still stuck in this rinky-dink hick town. You're taking it better than I would have, I'd call the governors office not even bothering with the school board, and start going lawyer town on their bumpkin behinds. But I'm a bit of a daddy's princess and expect to get my way 120% of the time.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes BrokenQuill92's post
30-08-2013, 10:02 PM
(30-08-2013 09:53 PM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  Your school sounds almost as bad as Oakland High my junior and senior year. I'm still stuck in this rinky-dink hick town. You're taking it better than I would have, I'd call the governors office not even bothering with the school board, and start going lawyer town on their bumpkin behinds. But I'm a bit of a daddy's princess and expect to get my way 120% of the time.

Part of it has to do with the fact that no one knows I'm an atheist. And getting the school in trouble for school-wide prayer isn't exactly the way I'd like to let people figure out my lack of beliefs. And even if people did know about my atheism, protesting school prayer would be a fantastic way of getting those around me to have a more negative opinion of atheists than they already do. While I think eventually it's something that should be stopped (or at least replaced with a moment of silence of maybe a meditation of sorts that could be applied to the faithful and the faithless), now isn't the best time for it. Plus I still need college recommendations.
30-08-2013, 11:44 PM
Mind over matter.

For me becoming an atheist, prayer is one of the things that never really bothered me. You know where you are and what you're dealing with. Prayer is the art of the ignorant, but it's a trivial, mindless ritual that doesn't really effect anything.

Let them pray, bow your head, then go on with your life. You know how pointless it is, and you know how important it is to those you are surrounded by. So let it be. The prayer group thing sounds annoying as hell, but you can get around it. Make something up. Tell them that prayer is more personal to you and you'd like to keep it that way. There is scripture to back it up. Thumbsup

Matt. 6:6 But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.

"It's a most distressing affliction to have a sentimental heart and a skeptical mind.”
― نجيب محفوظ, Sugar Street
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post