The Problem With Certainty (Video)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-06-2012, 06:43 AM
The Problem With Certainty (Video)
Threw together this short video to summarize my thoughts on some of the misconceptions that are out there regarding science, evidence, and the idea of "proof" or certainty:
http://youtu.be/R5fXxlWnDDs

Let me know what you think.

Join the Logic Speaks Community

I am the unconverted
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like lightninlives's post
04-06-2012, 07:31 AM
RE: The Problem With Certainty (Video)
Lose the "bitches" at the end.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
04-06-2012, 07:56 AM
(04-06-2012 07:31 AM)Ghost Wrote:  Lose the "bitches" at the end.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
Thanks for the feedback, Matt. Much appreciated.

That said, "bitches" stays.

Gotta leave a little room for poking fun, being silly, and internet memes like "Science, it works bitches." I don't ever want to take myself too seriously. I think that can be dangerous.

I am the unconverted
04-06-2012, 10:38 AM
You titled this before, and Quidsane pops up with a tirade about how I derail every thread by going on about my obsession with Gwyneth Paltrow.

If a bunch of atheists wonder why I go on about being a prophet on an atheist forum, well, it's shit like this that ain't helping the rational discussion. Big Grin

I mean, there ain't no topic more worthy of a "my Gwynnies" rant than the topic of certainty. I manufactured that shit. You can put it on my gravestone - I love my Gwynnies - heck you can put me in the grave afterwards. That's my certainty.

And certainty kills. Don't be fooled. Uncertainty gives us life, a will to live, a reason to get up in the morning. I mean, there's always a new way to go on about my Gwynnie thing. Big Grin

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
04-06-2012, 10:50 AM
(04-06-2012 10:38 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  You titled this before, and Quidsane pops up with a tirade about how I derail every thread by going on about my obsession with Gwyneth Paltrow.

If a bunch of atheists wonder why I go on about being a prophet on an atheist forum, well, it's shit like this that ain't helping the rational discussion. Big Grin

I mean, there ain't no topic more worthy of a "my Gwynnies" rant than the topic of certainty. I manufactured that shit. You can put it on my gravestone - I love my Gwynnies - heck you can put me in the grave afterwards. That's my certainty.

And certainty kills. Don't be fooled. Uncertainty gives us life, a will to live, a reason to get up in the morning. I mean, there's always a new way to go on about my Gwynnie thing. Big Grin
Yeah, this video is based on a post I wrote on my blog a while back.

Good way of looking at it. Uncertainty sure is beautiful. Why not embrace it instead of fear it?

I am the unconverted
[+] 1 user Likes lightninlives's post
04-06-2012, 10:55 AM
Suck a formal philosophy - makes my head hurt - but I can parrot So-Crates like a mathematician:

The number of things I don't know have a cardinality so far in advance of the number of things I do know that I essentially know nothing. Especially when all I really know... well, Gwynnies. Heart

(pause for heart singing stupid ballads. gag. being human sux sometimes)

Where was I? Oh, uncertainty. Life. 'Cause I only want probability one of being dead. Big Grin

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post