The Problem of Good

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-12-2015, 07:10 PM
RE: The Problem of Good
Commomnsensei Wrote:Immortality would be a curse. Not a blessing.
That is why immortality is not the goal. Eternal life is the goal.
There is a big difference between immortality and eternal life.

If Adam and Eve didn't partake of the fruit of knowledge of good and evil they would have immortality. Boring.

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-12-2015, 07:21 PM
larry-new
Epicurus solved it, around 300 b.c.

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?
Alla
No, he didn't solve anything.

He would know why many times God doesn't prevent evil if he knew why God created this world, why He planted tree of good of knowledge in the middle of the garden of Eden and why He let serpent to tempt Adam and Eve.

12-12-2015, 07:33 PM
(12-12-2015 07:21 PM)Alla Wrote:  larry-new
Epicurus solved it, around 300 b.c.

Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?
Alla
No, he didn't solve anything.

He would know why many times God doesn't prevent evil if he knew why God created this world, why He planted tree of good of knowledge in the middle of the garden of Eden and why He let serpent to tempt Adam and Eve.

Yes, he did. Epicurus statement #2 applies, as does the conclusion: Your god is malevolent.
That your god calls it beneficial for a "god in training" to experience evil and good does not make it so. That you agree with your god's lie is saddening and sickening.
[+] 2 users Like julep's post
12-12-2015, 07:37 PM
OddGamer Wrote:I find a couple problems with this.
First, it implies that you never want to do good. That is, when you see someone suffering you're not helping them because you want to, but only because god commands you to. This means you are never good, only evil, always, that you cannot possibly do good because any time good is the outcome it isn't you. Which means after death when you become a god yourself... you'll no longer have any reason to do good, or even the possibility, because you'll be your own authority. Or, worse, it'll become impossible for you to do evil because anything you do as a god will be your will and therefore good by definition.
No, this is not what I was saying. We choose to do good. That is why we feel happy when we choose to do good. We are created in God's image, so we are good. We are born good. When we choose to do good we choose to do God's work. Even if you are an atheist every time you do good you do God's work.
I thank God for creating me in His image and for giving me moral agency - I can choose to do good on my own. I thank Him for inspirations also.
OddGamer Wrote:And that's the second one. It defines good as "whatever god wants". So when god wants you to slaughter the entire civilian population of a conquered people, men, women, and children, save for the virgin girls whom you are to give to your soldiers, not only is it "good" to do so, it's evil to show some basic humanity and not do that.
Yes. It is good to kill those whom God wants to kill. But whom God wanted to kill? The answer: evil people, very evil people. Those people who had sex with their children, who had sex with animals and made their children to do this, who sacrificed their children to idols. These people God was killing in ancient times.
Sometimes He wanted to kill children. There are different reasons for that. But those children are considered to be innocent victims and not sinners. God took them to His kingdom from horrible environment.
God doesn't command any more to His chosen people to kill evil doers. Those times are over.

12-12-2015, 07:49 PM
Oddgamer Wrote:Which means after death when you become a god yourself... you'll no longer have any reason to do good,
Oh yes, Gods have very good reason to do good. They want to be happy. Doing good makes Them happy.
To do good brings joy
Oddgamer Wrote:or even the possibility, because you'll be your own authority.
Who says that Gods have no authority over them?
OddGamer Wrote:Or, worse, it'll become impossible for you to do evil because anything you do as a god will be your will and therefore good by definition.
It is possible for Gods to do evil but Gods don't want to do evil.
Like kind person NEVER wants to hurt anybody. Like an honest person never wants to lie. Honest person would hate to lie. Kind person would hate to hurt someone.

12-12-2015, 07:57 PM
He is able.

He is able and He is willing to stop it. God gives to all His children moral agency. To take away moral agency from us is evil.

From eternity.

12-12-2015, 08:00 PM
If we are created in god's image god must look human. If so where does he live?

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
12-12-2015, 08:01 PM
(12-12-2015 07:33 PM)julep Wrote:  That your god calls it beneficial for a "god in training" to experience evil and good does not make it so. That you agree with your god's lie is saddening and sickening.
When you start to comprehend eternity you will start to comprehend why it is beneficial.
I don't comprehend eternity but because I believe in God's plan of happiness or eternal progression He gives me an understanding of why it is beneficial.

12-12-2015, 08:03 PM
(12-12-2015 08:00 PM)Banjo Wrote:  If we are created in god's image god must look human. If so where does he live?
Of course, He looks human. He lives on a planet. Where else?

12-12-2015, 08:44 PM
(12-12-2015 08:03 PM)Alla Wrote:  
(12-12-2015 08:00 PM)Banjo Wrote:  If we are created in god's image god must look human. If so where does he live?
Of course, He looks human. He lives on a planet. Where else?

The planet Kolob to be precise Thumbsup
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user