The Problem of Good

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-12-2015, 08:33 AM
RE: The Problem of Good
Some interesting rules and definitions over there.

Definitely think it would be more conductive to invite them over here. I'm fairly sure I cannot make 100+ posts without using profanity.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Fatbaldhobbit's post
16-12-2015, 08:44 AM
(16-12-2015 08:32 AM)unfogged Wrote:  
(16-12-2015 08:23 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  I agree. The explanation that I was given was that the forum had a history of problems with trolls. I am not sure how accurate that statement is. It was a compromise in order to allow non-christians to participate. They say that they are trying to put measures in place to prevent anyone from going on the forum with the sole intent of lashing out at it's readers. They believe that the measures would ensure that there would be civil dialogue about opposing viewpoints.

Remember the analogy I used about being a christian guest in an atheist's home? Imagine you had a close friend who was a Christian who welcomed you into their home. The level of respect you would show your friend is the type or respect they are asking for. For the record...this is what they are telling me and is in no way what my personal thoughts are.

That sounds good on the surface, but it is bullshit. Trolls are always a problem on any forum and anybody who doesn't engage in civil discussion can be banned easily enough. The compromise is nothing of the sort, it's still a high bar designed to discourage challengers.

I'm not saying you don't see that, just noting that I don't believe them for a second.
What will be interesting is if anybody bothers jumping through the hoops and then isn't banned quickly anyway.
I agree. As you may already know, most Christians are very thin skinned and do not take kindly to people questioning their beliefs. However, in that specific subforum, it is the only place where it is expected and encouraged for people to bring up opposing views so you shouldn't be banned for that reason. I will say that if someone was to be banned it would not be because of their view but rather the way it is delivered. The use of profanity and personal insults is the easiest way to get banned. My advice to anyone who decided they want to go through the trouble is not to treat your posts as if you are talking to some random street preacher. Post as if you are in a public formal debate.
16-12-2015, 08:47 AM
(16-12-2015 08:33 AM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  Some interesting rules and definitions over there.

Definitely think it would be more conductive to invite them over here. I'm fairly sure I cannot make 100+ posts without using profanity.
Yes it would be easier. However I don't think it would be fair for some of the individuals who use this forum as an escape have to deal with dozens of people who are far worse that alla and pops the builder.
[+] 1 user Likes jason_delisle's post
16-12-2015, 08:47 AM
(16-12-2015 08:32 AM)unfogged Wrote:  
(16-12-2015 08:23 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  I agree. The explanation that I was given was that the forum had a history of problems with trolls. I am not sure how accurate that statement is. It was a compromise in order to allow non-christians to participate. They say that they are trying to put measures in place to prevent anyone from going on the forum with the sole intent of lashing out at it's readers. They believe that the measures would ensure that there would be civil dialogue about opposing viewpoints.

Remember the analogy I used about being a christian guest in an atheist's home? Imagine you had a close friend who was a Christian who welcomed you into their home. The level of respect you would show your friend is the type or respect they are asking for. For the record...this is what they are telling me and is in no way what my personal thoughts are.

That sounds good on the surface, but it is bullshit. Trolls are always a problem on any forum and anybody who doesn't engage in civil discussion can be banned easily enough. The compromise is nothing of the sort, it's still a high bar designed to discourage challengers.

I'm not saying you don't see that, just noting that I don't believe them for a second.
What will be interesting is if anybody bothers jumping through the hoops and then isn't banned quickly anyway.

I don't see the point, we have more than enough Christians, Mormons, etc. that come to this forum looking for a fight, others want discussion, still others are just drive-bys.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 2 users Like TheInquisition's post
16-12-2015, 08:48 AM
Btw...can anyone tell me how to give someone reputation points. There are a lot of awesome people who I want to give credit to.
16-12-2015, 08:49 AM (This post was last modified: 16-12-2015 08:52 AM by Fatbaldhobbit.)
What exactly are you trying to accomplish with all this?

(16-12-2015 08:23 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  Remember the analogy I used about being a christian guest in an atheist's home? Imagine you had a close friend who was a Christian who welcomed you into their home. The level of respect you would show your friend is the type or respect they are asking for. For the record...this is what they are telling me and is in no way what my personal thoughts are.

(13-12-2015 10:49 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  When I first came on this forum I asked why nobody goes to a christian forum to ask questions about Christianity. The overwhelming response was "we have but we just get kicked off". I have verified the statement as true because there was no specific subforum dedicated to apologetics where opposing views could be heard.

After some talk with the admin on "the Christian Forum" about the issue, there is a subforum now in place for you all to allow your voices and questions to be heard.

(13-12-2015 12:45 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  If I was visiting a friend who was an atheist I wouldn't dare blast them in their own home about their beliefs (or lack thereof). I would be respectful and would only voice my beliefs if I was directly asked or if it would add to the conversation . Even if it was asked only for an entertainment factor.

After reading the website, that community is NOT interested in opposing viewpoints or debate or even in mildly controversial topics. Which is fine. That's their little piece of the internet. Enjoy, have fun, etc. etc.

But after re-reading your previous posts, it sounds like you're trying to get atheist posters over there so you can "blast them" on your home turf.

This is getting rather odd, isn't it?

ETA: Adding that I am not trying to be snarky, just curious.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
16-12-2015, 08:51 AM
(16-12-2015 08:47 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  
(16-12-2015 08:33 AM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  Some interesting rules and definitions over there.

Yes it would be easier. However I don't think it would be fair for some of the individuals who use this forum as an escape have to deal with dozens of people who are far worse that alla and pops the builder.

Being a little passive-aggressive this morning? Consider

When has reason been worse than unreason?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
16-12-2015, 08:51 AM
(16-12-2015 08:48 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  Btw...can anyone tell me how to give someone reputation points. There are a lot of awesome people who I want to give credit to.

Click on the rep number of the individal, then there shold be a rate user button on the upper right hand side and a popup will come up with a drop-down box and a comment section underneath.

Once you submit the rating it will update after it closes.Thumbsup

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
16-12-2015, 08:53 AM
(16-12-2015 08:48 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  Btw...can anyone tell me how to give someone reputation points. There are a lot of awesome people who I want to give credit to.

The easiest way is to find one of their posts and click on their reputation number over on the right. It will then be revealed what to do.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
16-12-2015, 09:01 AM
(16-12-2015 08:49 AM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  What exactly are you trying to accomplish with all this?

(16-12-2015 08:23 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  Remember the analogy I used about being a christian guest in an atheist's home? Imagine you had a close friend who was a Christian who welcomed you into their home. The level of respect you would show your friend is the type or respect they are asking for. For the record...this is what they are telling me and is in no way what my personal thoughts are.

(13-12-2015 10:49 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  When I first came on this forum I asked why nobody goes to a christian forum to ask questions about Christianity. The overwhelming response was "we have but we just get kicked off". I have verified the statement as true because there was no specific subforum dedicated to apologetics where opposing views could be heard.

After some talk with the admin on "the Christian Forum" about the issue, there is a subforum now in place for you all to allow your voices and questions to be heard.

(13-12-2015 12:45 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  If I was visiting a friend who was an atheist I wouldn't dare blast them in their own home about their beliefs (or lack thereof). I would be respectful and would only voice my beliefs if I was directly asked or if it would add to the conversation . Even if it was asked only for an entertainment factor.

After reading the website, that community is NOT interested in opposing viewpoints or debate or even in mildly controversial topics. Which is fine. That's their little piece of the internet. Enjoy, have fun, etc. etc.

But after re-reading your previous posts, it sounds like you're trying to get atheist posters over there so you can "blast them" on your home turf.

This is getting rather odd, isn't it?
When I first arrived on this forum I noticed that a lot of people were asking very good questions about Christianity and the bible. I asked why are people asking these questions on an atheist forum and not on a christian forum? The answer that I got was "We have tried but we just get banned." So I managed to work out a compromise with the Christian forum for those who might be interested can participate without fear of being banned solely on their opposing viewpoints. That's all.

Now I cannot guarantee that you won't get blasted by the occasional bigot (I use the term "occasional" very loosely). Rather i would expect it. I would expect that every single word of your posts will be pulled apart and scrutinized. A lot of facepalming will occur. You may feel like you are on trial in a "planet of the apes" movie. I would recommend walking in with thick skin and a positive attitude.

Also remember that the rules apply to both christians and non-christians. So if a bigot is being offensive...you can get them banned too.