The Problem of Imperfection

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-08-2014, 04:05 PM
RE: The Problem of Imperfection
(20-08-2014 03:54 PM)Impulse Wrote:  
(20-08-2014 03:44 PM)Chas Wrote:  I am serious that a religious person could concoct a theory along those lines.
And someone probably has.

I was just using it to point out that a god creating apparent imperfection is not the slam-dunk argument you appeared to be saying it is.
I didn't mean to imply that it's a slam dunk in terms of convincing theists. I think it can provide something different for them to consider and it may contribute to opening some minds. But surely magic trumps all so no, not a slam dunk by any means. I do, however, think it's logically sound for anyone that is willing think outside the religion box with some intellectual honesty. But, if I'm wrong about that, by all means shoot holes in it. I'm all about the intellectually honesty myself and that trumps all for me.

I was responding to what I thought you meant by "I was thinking about the concept of perfection and I think this refutes the same god concept and any other that holds god is perfect.".

And my intent was really to highlight how slippery those fucking apologists are. Dodgy

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-08-2014, 04:32 PM
Got it. Yeah I have no doubt the apologists would find some opposing explanation that would satisfy themselves and many of their followers that my argument can't be right.

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
Find all posts by this user
20-08-2014, 04:37 PM
(20-08-2014 04:32 PM)Impulse Wrote:  Got it. Yeah I have no doubt the apologists would find some opposing explanation that would satisfy themselves and many of their followers that my argument can't be right.

Organized religion has had centuries to develop their apologism for their irrational beliefs, but approaching it from a different angle may get them to think.
The deeply indoctrinated that have all of their apologists excuses might get derailed by a line of argument they haven't read from their favorite apologist's sites.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 1 user Likes TheInquisition's post
20-08-2014, 08:20 PM
(20-08-2014 04:37 PM)TheInquisition Wrote:  Organized religion has had centuries to develop their apologism for their irrational beliefs, but approaching it from a different angle may get them to think.
One can hope, but I'm not holding my breath. Tongue

(20-08-2014 04:37 PM)TheInquisition Wrote:  The deeply indoctrinated that have all of their apologists excuses might get derailed by a line of argument they haven't read from their favorite apologist's sites.
I think there is a greater chance of this one happening.

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post