The Problem with the Christian Right Wing.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-04-2016, 02:51 PM
The Problem with the Christian Right Wing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYjMaykovgo

So, Republican Christians have supported slavery, deny climate change, and believe in faith healing. Wow.

Thoughts on the vid?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-04-2016, 03:12 PM (This post was last modified: 11-04-2016 03:20 PM by Aliza.)
RE: The Problem with the Christian Right Wing.
(11-04-2016 02:51 PM)bussta33 Wrote:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYjMaykovgo

So, Republican Christians have supported slavery, deny climate change, and believe in faith healing. Wow.

Thoughts on the vid?

I take your point, though the video is incorrect about Republicans being for slavery. Abraham Lincoln was a Republican, and he was of course opposed to the Democrat's support of slavery.

Whether it was the democrats or the Republicans who were pro-slavery, I don't think anyone alive today supports slavery. I'd rather focus on matters that affect us now. Climate change, equal marriage rights and faith healing are all issues that do impact us today. While I couldn't care less if any individual chooses to treat their own cancer with faith, I care a lot if their dependents are denied proper medical care.
[+] 2 users Like Aliza's post
11-04-2016, 03:43 PM
(11-04-2016 03:12 PM)Aliza Wrote:  I take your point, though the video is incorrect about Republicans being for slavery. Abraham Lincoln was a Republican, and he was of course opposed to the Democrat's support of slavery.

Whether it was the democrats or the Republicans who were pro-slavery, I don't think anyone alive today supports slavery. I'd rather focus on matters that affect us now. Climate change, equal marriage rights and faith healing are all issues that do impact us today. While I couldn't care less if any individual chooses to treat their own cancer with faith, I care a lot if their dependents are denied proper medical care.

thank you!!

there is more to add to it

Of all forms of violent intimidation, lynchings were by far the most effective," Barton said in his book. "Republicans often led the efforts to pass federal anti-lynching laws and their platforms consistently called for a ban on lynching. Democrats successfully blocked those bills and their platforms never did condemn lynchings."

Further, the first grand wizard of the KKK was honored at the 1868 Democratic National Convention, no Democrats voted for the 14th Amendment to grant citizenship to former slaves and, to this day, the party website ignores those decades of racism, he said.

"Although it is relatively unreported today, historical documents are unequivocal that the Klan was established by Democrats and that the Klan played a prominent role in the Democratic Party," Barton writes in his book. "In fact, a 13-volume set of congressional investigations from 1872 conclusively and irrefutably documents that fact.

"The Klan terrorized black Americans through murders and public floggings; relief was granted only if individuals promised not to vote for Republican tickets, and violation of this oath was punishable by death," he said. "Since the Klan targeted Republicans in general, it did not limit its violence simply to black Republicans; white Republicans were also included."

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED
[+] 1 user Likes Alla's post
11-04-2016, 03:51 PM
1) Democrats have supported slavery

2) We don't deny climate change.

3)I believe in faith healing.
But faith healing doesn't mean I have to reject science or doctors. All truth comes from God. All true knowledge comes from God. It would be stupid to reject true scientific knowledge. Faith healing means: to have faith that doctors will help by making right decisions. Faith healing means to have an intuition that you can trust one doctor and not to look for another.
Faith healing means to receive specific thoughts to make RIGHT decisions and not stupid/foolish decisions.

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED
[+] 1 user Likes Alla's post
11-04-2016, 05:05 PM
(11-04-2016 02:51 PM)bussta33 Wrote:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYjMaykovgo

Thoughts on the vid?

The Republican party was started by abolitionists, the KKK was started by democrats. 100% of the Republicans in congress voted for the 13th amendment, 23% of Democrats voted for it. Not one democrat voted for the 14th amendment. And, Democrat Robert Byrd, who, was a senator for most of my life, was a member of the Klan and defended it.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
[+] 1 user Likes true scotsman's post
11-04-2016, 05:38 PM
(11-04-2016 03:12 PM)Aliza Wrote:  I take your point, though the video is incorrect about Republicans being for slavery. Abraham Lincoln was a Republican, and he was of course opposed to the Democrat's support of slavery.

You are confusing conservatism and liberalism. It's true the democratic party used to be conservative and the Republicans were liberals. When Lincoln ran for president the Republican party was brand new and was a mixture of other smaller groups that didn't feel the majority conservative Democratic group understood their wants or needs so when Lincoln was elected he brought with him the more left leaning idealogy of his party.

After many years and elections the Republicans took on the more conservative/traditional values they felt would bring more stability to Americans while the Democrats moved further left valuing more freedom and equal rights and became more liberal and are the left leaning party of the modern age. It's not accurate to simply state "Well Democrats used to be for slavery." Instead you would say "Well, the conservative Democrats back in Lincoln's day were for slavery." but, it's not fair to just say that all democrats in the modern age should be somehow painted as the same kind of racist ultra religious party members from over 100 years ago nor would it be fair for the neo-conservatives who would've had much more in common with the older Democratic party views to claim they have the moral high ground now, it was a different time and these party names had different meanings.

[Image: sagansig_zps6vhbql6m.jpg]
[+] 4 users Like SitaSky's post
11-04-2016, 05:47 PM
(11-04-2016 05:05 PM)true scotsman Wrote:  

Thoughts on the vid?

The Republican party was started by abolitionists, the KKK was started by democrats. 100% of the Republicans in congress voted for the 13th amendment, 23% of Democrats voted for it. Not one democrat voted for the 14th amendment. And, Democrat Robert Byrd, who, was a senator for most of my life, was a member of the Klan and defended it.

I've already pointed out why the the term "Republican" isn't necessarily "conservative" since both parties changed almost completely as far as ideology in the mid 20th century since when they first started they were liberal. But, for now in the modern age it's fair to say Republicans are the conservative party and many people who support slavery, deny climate change, believe in faith healing, etc. are more likely to be Republican and vote Republican then vote Democrat.

11-04-2016, 05:51 PM
(11-04-2016 05:47 PM)SitaSky Wrote:  
(11-04-2016 05:05 PM)true scotsman Wrote:  The Republican party was started by abolitionists, the KKK was started by democrats. 100% of the Republicans in congress voted for the 13th amendment, 23% of Democrats voted for it. Not one democrat voted for the 14th amendment. And, Democrat Robert Byrd, who, was a senator for most of my life, was a member of the Klan and defended it.

I've already pointed out why the the term "Republican" isn't necessarily "conservative" since both parties changed almost completely as far as ideology in the mid 20th century since when they first started they were liberal. But, for now in the modern age it's fair to say Republicans are the conservative party and many people who support slavery, deny climate change, believe in faith healing, etc. are more likely to be Republican and vote Republican then vote Democrat.

OP: "So, Republican Christians have supported slavery, deny climate change, and believe in faith healing. Wow".

Based on your understanding of history (I claim no expertise in this area) did "Republican Christians" support slavery?

I think they do deny climate change and they do believe in faith healing, but I do not believe that they do, or ever have supported slavery.

I think OP's point is still well made without the slavery thing.
11-04-2016, 05:56 PM (This post was last modified: 11-04-2016 06:01 PM by SitaSky.)
(11-04-2016 05:51 PM)Aliza Wrote:  
(11-04-2016 05:47 PM)SitaSky Wrote:  I've already pointed out why the the term "Republican" isn't necessarily "conservative" since both parties changed almost completely as far as ideology in the mid 20th century since when they first started they were liberal. But, for now in the modern age it's fair to say Republicans are the conservative party and many people who support slavery, deny climate change, believe in faith healing, etc. are more likely to be Republican and vote Republican then vote Democrat.

OP: "So, Republican Christians have supported slavery, deny climate change, and believe in faith healing. Wow".

Based on your understanding of history (I claim no expertise in this area) did "Republican Christians" support slavery?

I think they do deny climate change and they do believe in faith healing, but I do not believe that they do, or ever have supported slavery.

I think OP's point is still well made without the slavery thing.

I'm not sure about supporting slavery but many white supremacist groups including the KKK have supported Republican candidates in the modern age and they are currently supporting Donald Trump so I would say yes they would've supported slavery back then but instead they would've called themselves Democrats because that was the more ultra conservative party. The modern Republicans have little in common with the original party and would in fact want nothing to do with them. They even used the Bible back then to support slavery since it has many verses condoning it but yes it was the original Republican party that fought to end slavery back then.

11-04-2016, 07:27 PM
(11-04-2016 03:51 PM)Alla Wrote:  3)I believe in faith healing.
But faith healing doesn't mean I have to reject science or doctors. All truth comes from God. All true knowledge comes from God. It would be stupid to reject true scientific knowledge. Faith healing means: to have faith that doctors will help by making right decisions. Faith healing means to have an intuition that you can trust one doctor and not to look for another.
Faith healing means to receive specific thoughts to make RIGHT decisions and not stupid/foolish decisions.

Excuse me, but you don't know what faith healing is? Go to youtube and type it in and watch some.

Quote:faith heal·ing.
[ˈfāTH ˌhēliNG]

NOUN
1.healing achieved by religious belief and prayer, rather than by medical treatment.