The Pseudoscience of Solfeggio

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-06-2016, 04:32 PM (This post was last modified: 25-06-2016 04:36 PM by cactus.)
The Pseudoscience of Solfeggio
I had a music teacher in high school who was pretty crazy (she kind of reminded me of prof. Trelawney from Harry Potter, including the hippie head scarf and giant glasses everything, rofl). She used to talk about solfeggio all the time and how it was so useful for learning to recognize note intervals in music. When I looked it up, I encountered a whole bunch of new age woo on the subject. It's some seriously bizarre shit, I tell you what. Hobo
https://attunedvibrations.com/solfeggio/

So apparently, it has roots in numerology from Bible passages or some shit like that. I'm not even sure what to make of all this.
Like there can't honestly be anyone who is convinced by any of this gibberish, right?... Right?
Wrong, motherfucker! There are entire textbooks on the subject! WTF, really? Laugh out load Laugh out load
ok... Rolleyes
https://www.amazon.com/Healing-Biologica...0923550399

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-06-2016, 05:08 PM
RE: The Pseudoscience of Solfeggio
Ohhhhhh...kay....

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
25-06-2016, 05:17 PM
Uh oh, I've been exposed to hazardous levels of radiation!

I'd better start listening to DNA Repair now to mitigate some of these cancerous effects. HoboHoboHoboHoboHoboHoboHoboHobo

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
26-06-2016, 07:24 AM
(25-06-2016 04:32 PM)cactus Wrote:  I had a music teacher in high school who was pretty crazy (she kind of reminded me of prof. Trelawney from Harry Potter, including the hippie head scarf and giant glasses everything, rofl). She used to talk about solfeggio all the time and how it was so useful for learning to recognize note intervals in music. When I looked it up, I encountered a whole bunch of new age woo on the subject. It's some seriously bizarre shit, I tell you what. Hobo
https://attunedvibrations.com/solfeggio/

So apparently, it has roots in numerology from Bible passages or some shit like that. I'm not even sure what to make of all this.
Like there can't honestly be anyone who is convinced by any of this gibberish, right?... Right?
Wrong, motherfucker! There are entire textbooks on the subject! WTF, really? Laugh out load Laugh out load
ok... Rolleyes
https://www.amazon.com/Healing-Biologica...0923550399

I'm gonna go out on a limb here, and guess your teacher was one of the people at Woodstock - that ate the brown acid..................

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
26-06-2016, 09:06 AM
Woo associated with pitch relationships dates back at least to Pythagoras (rather than the Bible). Pythagoras, or at least those associated with his school, constructed a preposterous metaphysics of music based on numbers and ratios. When Western music notation was being developed, mostly at first by Christian monks, Christian mysticism got mixed in with Greek and Egyptian mysticism. The solfege symbols were derived from hymn lyrics because the monks used a tune that was familiar and happened to illustrate the scale; but the words being religious is basically incidental, but not to the woo-(lly) minded types.

With at least three mystical traditions involved, I guess it's not surprising that solfege-based woo is around.

There are other solmization systems besides solfege, but solfege--sans woo!--does work just fine to teach students how to audiate and sight-sing. (I don't particularly like solfege, it's not the way my mind works: I can sight-sing more easily using scale degrees, it is so much easier for me to think V than sol).
[+] 1 user Likes julep's post