The Psychology of Atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-03-2016, 02:06 AM
The Psychology of Atheism
Any comments on an idea I heard recently? The speaker, a Christian, was attempting to explain who so many scientists are atheists and why atheists tend to be male. His reasoning was that scientists as a group, and males as a group, tend to be higher on the autism spectrum than the general population, and that people on the autism spectrum have trouble assigning intelligent agency to their observations. He said that when his sister was 12 years old, she believed that houses and cars grew out of the ground like plants, and she was flabbergasted when she was told that houses and cars were intelligently designed for a purpose. Comments? Please see the articles below:

https://www.bigquestionsonline.com/2014/...rrational/
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/science/...rsity.html
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-03-2016, 02:18 AM (This post was last modified: 31-03-2016 02:30 AM by DLJ.)
RE: The Psychology of Atheism
Correlation rather than causality, I suspect.

But as an autistic-traits male ... sample size of one ... there might be a grain of truth. The tendency to see and hear things literally can equate to an inflexibility of the imagination.

So, to close the syllogism ... gods and goddesses are of the imagination.

No problem with that.

Big Grin

[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
31-03-2016, 02:48 AM
I started reading the article but I can't stand the writing style.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
31-03-2016, 03:56 AM
(31-03-2016 02:18 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Correlation rather than causality, I suspect.

But as an autistic-traits male ... sample size of one ... there might be a grain of truth. The tendency to see and hear things literally can equate to an inflexibility of the imagination.

No problem with that.

Big Grin

I had a "syllogism" once, but when to the doctor and got a shot for it, then it cleared up.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Brian37's post
31-03-2016, 06:10 AM
(31-03-2016 03:56 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  
(31-03-2016 02:18 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Correlation rather than causality, I suspect.

No problem with that.

Big Grin

I had a "syllogism" once, but when to the doctor and got a shot for it, then it cleared up.

I had a bad one. SHE, (the LADY scientist-doctor) had to lance it, stitch it up, and put a band-aide in it.

I may have to go back to her.
I got a concussion from the face-palm from this bullshit.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
31-03-2016, 06:13 AM
I have yet to hear a reasoned or informed opinion from a theist regarding atheists or atheism. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 6 users Like Chas's post
31-03-2016, 06:18 AM (This post was last modified: 31-03-2016 06:30 AM by onlinebiker.)
(31-03-2016 06:13 AM)Chas Wrote:  I have yet to hear a reasoned or informed opinion from a theist regarding atheists or atheism. Drinking Beverage

It goes with the territory.. When you believe in invisible sky daddies who create entire universes --- logic can't be real high on your list of priorities............

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 3 users Like onlinebiker's post
31-03-2016, 06:25 AM
(31-03-2016 06:13 AM)Chas Wrote:  I have yet to hear a reasoned or informed opinion from a theist regarding atheists or atheism. Drinking Beverage

What would the result of an informed opinion here be? Something like this:

"Atheists are individuals that have recognized that there's no evidence of God/s, so they lack a belief in them. Full stop."

Would you have something more to provide in regards to the psychology of atheists than this? Do you have a perspective of your own, that amounts to more than that, that you'd like to share?

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
31-03-2016, 06:33 AM
(31-03-2016 06:25 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  

What would the result of an informed opinion here be? Something like this:

"Atheists are individuals that have recognized that there's no evidence of God/s, so they lack a belief in them. Full stop."

Would you have something more to provide in regards to the psychology of atheists than this? Do you have a perspective of your own, that amounts to more than that, that you'd like to share?

It would be maybe "There ARE NO generalizations to be made AT ALL about such a diverse group of people, NONE OF WHOM I KNOW or have interviewed personally, all who came to their positions in different ways".

Why are you here again ? Making insulting remarks during Easter week, Jebus-boy ?
Fuck. You are a hypocrite.
Do YOU Have ANYTHING of ANY value, here, you'd EVER care to share ?

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 7 users Like Bucky Ball's post
31-03-2016, 06:50 AM
(31-03-2016 06:33 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(31-03-2016 06:25 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  What would the result of an informed opinion here be? Something like this:

It would be maybe "There ARE NO generalizations to be made AT ALL about such a diverse group of people, NONE OF WHOM I KNOW or have interviewed personally, all who came to their positions in different ways".

Why are you here again ? Making insulting remarks during Easter week, Jebus-boy ?
Fuck. You are a hypocrite.
Do YOU Have ANYTHING of ANY value, here, you'd EVER care to share ?

As for as I see it, self-identifying atheists are diverse as any other group of that size being studied. It's group that tends to be more male than female for one, more white than non-white, etc....

If it's a group that considerably huddles around the view that they lack a belief in God because of a lack of evidence, there's likely a variety of parallel between how they all ended up at that, why they're drawn to concepts like rationalism, science, etc.... why they're not particularly attracted to religion, etc.... The sort of individuals they identify with, see as models, etc....

It's not that informed generalizations can't be made about them as a group, it's more that individuals like yourself don't want them to be formed.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."