The Psychology of Atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-04-2016, 08:17 PM
RE: The Psychology of Atheism
(23-04-2016 03:07 PM)Matt Finney Wrote:  
(23-04-2016 03:00 PM)Chas Wrote:  That is not an atheism convention. Drinking Beverage

Yes it is. Drinking Beverage

It is a rally for critical thinking and secularism.

Pro tip: Secular does not mean atheist.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-04-2016, 08:22 PM (This post was last modified: 23-04-2016 08:36 PM by Chas.)
(23-04-2016 03:10 PM)Matt Finney Wrote:  
(23-04-2016 03:00 PM)Chas Wrote:  That is not an atheism convention. Drinking Beverage

"Not only are we celebrating our secular, atheist, agnostic, humanist, freethinking, and nonreligious identities,"

It is one of many, not the only, not the most important.
"Reason Rally 2016 is a celebration of fact-driven public policy, the value of critical thinking, and the voting power of secular Americans."

It is The Reason Rally. Shall we call religious get-togethers Unreason Rallies?

Quote:You're not really that stupid are you?

You really are that narrow-minded and judgmental. Atheism is one element of many.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
23-04-2016, 10:02 PM
(23-04-2016 08:22 PM)Chas Wrote:  ...
It is The Reason Rally. Shall we call religious get-togethers Unreason Rallies?

Well, that is strongly tempting. But probably more accurate to call them Feelings Rallies.

Consider

Secularism has, at its core, the principle of separation of church and state.

Religion has, at its core, the principle of separation of fool and money.

Drinking Beverage

Find all posts by this user
[+] 8 users Like DLJ's post
23-04-2016, 10:23 PM
(23-04-2016 03:07 PM)Matt Finney Wrote:  

Yes it is. Drinking Beverage

Calling the Reason Really an 'atheist convention' is like calling E3 (the Electronic Entertainment Expo) or PAX East (the Penny Arcade Expo in Boston) a 'Ubisoft Convention' or an 'Electronic Arts Convention' just because they have their own booth at the gathering.

By the same reasoning the Sand Diego Comic Con is a 'Marvel Convention'. You know, like everyone else forgot about DC, Vertigo, Top Cow, Image, toy and other merchandise manufacturers, movie studios, etc... Dodgy

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
23-04-2016, 10:35 PM (This post was last modified: 23-04-2016 10:42 PM by Thumpalumpacus.)
(31-03-2016 02:06 AM)jakedanger Wrote:  Any comments on an idea I heard recently? The speaker, a Christian, was attempting to explain who so many scientists are atheists and why atheists tend to be male. His reasoning was that scientists as a group, and males as a group, tend to be higher on the autism spectrum than the general population, and that people on the autism spectrum have trouble assigning intelligent agency to their observations. He said that when his sister was 12 years old, she believed that houses and cars grew out of the ground like plants, and she was flabbergasted when she was told that houses and cars were intelligently designed for a purpose. Comments? Please see the articles below:

https://www.bigquestionsonline.com/2014/...rrational/
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/science/...rsity.html

lol, so a Christian suspects that atheists suffer from a mental disorder?

Also, it's been my experience that atheists are roughly equally represented in the genders. I'm open to correction from reputable sources, of course, but having been a participant in the online atheist community for almost two decades now, I think that atheist/freethought forums have a higher percentage of women than most websites, and that percentage rivals the male/female ratio at religious websites, too.

IRL, I've met fewer females I know to be atheists, but that may well be because when I'm chatting them up, religion is not what's on my mind. Smile

ETA: The first article is riddled with fallacious thinking, including false equivalence, excluded-middle, anecdote-as-evidence, and confusing cause and correlation, amongst others fallacious modes of thinking.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
24-04-2016, 01:00 AM
(23-04-2016 10:35 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Also, it's been my experience that atheists are roughly equally represented in the genders.

Depends on the location I suppose.

(23-04-2016 10:35 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  I'm open to correction from reputable sources, of course, but having been a participant in the online atheist community for almost two decades now, I think that atheist/freethought forums have a higher percentage of women than most websites, and that percentage rivals the male/female ratio at religious websites, too.

In Poland situation looks different. According to Radosław Tyrała Everyday Life Without God: A Sociology of Atheism and Unbelief number of atheists is not equal in both sexes: 71% of atheists are men 29% women*. He used both data gathered by Central Statistical Office and himself so one could assume that number is reliable.

According to Polish General Social Survey from years 1992-2008 number looks different: 65.5% atheists are men, 34.5% are women though methodology differs as Tyrała used auto-declaration and survey asked about position on scale of irreligiosity**.

*Radosław Tyrała, Everyday Life Without God: A Sociology of Atheism and Unbelief, s. 147.
**Ibidem, s. 148.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
24-04-2016, 05:17 AM
https://atheists.org/convention2015
24-04-2016, 05:27 AM
I am both atheist, and insane. Big Grin

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 2 users Like Banjo's post
24-04-2016, 06:16 AM
(23-04-2016 10:23 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Calling the Reason Really an 'atheist convention' is like calling E3 (the Electronic Entertainment Expo) or PAX East (the Penny Arcade Expo in Boston) a 'Ubisoft Convention' or an 'Electronic Arts Convention' just because they have their own booth at the gathering.

It's a convention for atheists who support certain positions, regarding science and reason.

The analogy would be an evangelical convention, where it's correct to say it's a gathering of theists.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
24-04-2016, 06:17 AM
(24-04-2016 01:00 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(23-04-2016 10:35 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Also, it's been my experience that atheists are roughly equally represented in the genders.

Depends on the location I suppose.

(23-04-2016 10:35 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  I'm open to correction from reputable sources, of course, but having been a participant in the online atheist community for almost two decades now, I think that atheist/freethought forums have a higher percentage of women than most websites, and that percentage rivals the male/female ratio at religious websites, too.

In Poland situation looks different. According to Radosław Tyrała Everyday Life Without God: A Sociology of Atheism and Unbelief number of atheists is not equal in both sexes: 71% of atheists are men 29% women*. He used both data gathered by Central Statistical Office and himself so one could assume that number is reliable.

According to Polish General Social Survey from years 1992-2008 number looks different: 65.5% atheists are men, 34.5% are women though methodology differs as Tyrała used auto-declaration and survey asked about position on scale of irreligiosity**.

*Radosław Tyrała, Everyday Life Without God: A Sociology of Atheism and Unbelief, s. 147.
**Ibidem, s. 148.

The Pew Survey shows a similar breakdown in the US:

"Atheists, in general, are more likely to be male and younger than the overall population; 68% are men, and the median age of atheist adults in the U.S. is 34 (compared with 46 for all U.S. adults). "

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/201...-atheists/

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
[+] 1 user Likes Tomasia's post