The Psychology of Atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-04-2016, 06:19 AM
RE: The Psychology of Atheism
(24-04-2016 06:17 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(24-04-2016 01:00 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  Depends on the location I suppose.

In Poland situation looks different. According to Radosław Tyrała Everyday Life Without God: A Sociology of Atheism and Unbelief number of atheists is not equal in both sexes: 71% of atheists are men 29% women*. He used both data gathered by Central Statistical Office and himself so one could assume that number is reliable.

According to Polish General Social Survey from years 1992-2008 number looks different: 65.5% atheists are men, 34.5% are women though methodology differs as Tyrała used auto-declaration and survey asked about position on scale of irreligiosity**.

*Radosław Tyrała, Everyday Life Without God: A Sociology of Atheism and Unbelief, s. 147.
**Ibidem, s. 148.

The Pew Survey shows a similar breakdown in the US:

"Atheists, in general, are more likely to be male and younger than the overall population; 68% are men, and the median age of atheist adults in the U.S. is 34 (compared with 46 for all U.S. adults). "

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/201...-atheists/

So, more educated. Got it.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
24-04-2016, 06:24 AM
(23-04-2016 03:40 PM)Stevil Wrote:  Of course, I would tend to ask the question the other way around.
Why are women and non scientists more likely to believe in things without supporting evidence?

The answer for scientists is possibly because they are taught the importance of supporting evidence. They are taught how deductions can be false and due to personal assumptions, beliefs and wants. They are taught methods to overcome personal bias and to look for objectivity and conclusions based on objective evidence.

I'd wonder how man scientists who identify as atheists, only became atheists after choosing an education path, who would credit it with their particular education in their majors.

Folks like Dawkins indicate they were atheists at a very early age as I remember.

I think people inclined to be atheists are drawn to study the sciences. That there's perhaps some parallel here between why folks on the autistic spectrum are drawn to these fields, and atheists in general.

It's not about reason, science, of evidence per se, but one's chosen identify, how he wants to see himself, and be recognized by others as. And I think this makes it bit more complicated, than any overtly simplistic explanations.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
24-04-2016, 06:27 AM
(24-04-2016 06:19 AM)Banjo Wrote:  
(24-04-2016 06:17 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  The Pew Survey shows a similar breakdown in the US:

"Atheists, in general, are more likely to be male and younger than the overall population; 68% are men, and the median age of atheist adults in the U.S. is 34 (compared with 46 for all U.S. adults). "

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/201...-atheists/

So, more educated. Got it.

Actually women are more educated than men. More woman have at least a bachelors degree than men. So if it was education as you suggest, than perhaps atheists would be represented by more females than males.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
24-04-2016, 06:33 AM
(24-04-2016 06:27 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(24-04-2016 06:19 AM)Banjo Wrote:  So, more educated. Got it.

Actually women are more educated than men. More woman have at least a bachelors degree than men. So if it was education as you suggest, than perhaps atheists would be represented by more females than males.

In which country?

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
Banjo.
24-04-2016, 06:36 AM
(24-04-2016 06:33 AM)Banjo Wrote:  
(24-04-2016 06:27 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  Actually women are more educated than men. More woman have at least a bachelors degree than men. So if it was education as you suggest, than perhaps atheists would be represented by more females than males.

In which country?

The US.

https://nces.ed.gov/fastfacts/display.asp?id=72

24-04-2016, 06:41 AM
(24-04-2016 06:36 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(24-04-2016 06:33 AM)Banjo Wrote:  In which country?

The US.

So not Saudi Arabia?

The world extends beyond US borders you know.

Banjo.
[+] 2 users Like Banjo's post
24-04-2016, 06:41 AM
Here's another wrench in the view that between the correlations of education and nones:

""The core finding is that the association between graduating from college and religious disaffiliation has changed drastically across generations," said Philip Schwadel, the study's author and a professor at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln. For people who were born in the 1920s and '30s, the godless-college-grad stereotype is somewhat true: They were twice as likely as their uneducated peers to be religionless, not identifying with a particular church or synagogue or other religious institution.

But over time, that trend changed. "For those people who were born in the 1960s, there’s really no difference between the college-educated and the non-college-educated in terms of their likelihood of disaffiliating from religion," Schwadel said. "And for those born in the 1970s, it’s actually the non-college-educated who are relatively likely to disaffiliate."

RELATED STORY

Getting Married Later Is Great for College-Educated Women

This may have happened for a few reasons, Schwadel said. "The growth in college education may have led to a different population of people going to college." In the 1920s, only elites attended universities; especially at a time when religiosity was almost uniformly part of American life, it makes sense that this very small group of top intellectuals were the most likely to reject religion. Now that higher education has gotten somewhat more economically diverse and a lot more widespread, though, it seems natural that intellectual diversity at the university level has grown, too.

But that doesn't explain Schwadel's most surprising finding: For people born during the 1970s, not going to college makes you more likely to say that you're not religious. "

http://www.theatlantic.com/education/arc...ty/375950/

24-04-2016, 06:45 AM
(24-04-2016 06:41 AM)Banjo Wrote:  
(24-04-2016 06:36 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  The US.

So not Saudi Arabia?

The previous poll, that was cited indicating more males than females among atheists, was also the US, though you tried to interpret this as having to do with education. I provided a response link that shows that this interpretation doesn't actually hold, being that females tend to be better educated than men.

24-04-2016, 07:04 AM
(24-04-2016 06:45 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(24-04-2016 06:41 AM)Banjo Wrote:  So not Saudi Arabia?

The previous poll, that was cited indicating more males than females among atheists, was also the US, though you tried to interpret this as having to do with education. I provided a response link that shows that this interpretation doesn't actually hold, being that females tend to be better educated than men.

Your response was overly simplified and limited.

Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
24-04-2016, 07:07 AM
Jesus Christ, that comment about being high on the autism spectrum and having trouble assigning "intelligent agency". What the fuck is that gibberish?
[+] 2 users Like Mittens Deluxe's post