The Psychology of Atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-04-2016, 08:22 AM
RE: The Psychology of Atheism
(24-04-2016 07:07 AM)Mittens Deluxe Wrote:  Jesus Christ, that comment about being high on the autism spectrum and having trouble assigning "intelligent agency". What the fuck is that gibberish?

It just sounds better than *Atheists are retarded. Excuse me i have to go now and worship an invisible, immoral and internally inconsistend entity* Facepalm

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Deesse23's post
24-04-2016, 08:26 AM
(24-04-2016 06:24 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  I think people inclined to be atheists are drawn to study the sciences. That there's perhaps some parallel here between why folks on the autistic spectrum are drawn to these fields, and atheists in general.

It's not about reason, science, of evidence per se, but one's chosen identify, how he wants to see himself, and be recognized by others as. And I think this makes it bit more complicated, than any overtly simplistic explanations.

Got anything to back up this baseless nonsense?
And how comes you seem to know what others think and how they come to their conclusions?

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
[+] 1 user Likes Deesse23's post
24-04-2016, 02:01 PM
(24-04-2016 06:24 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(23-04-2016 03:40 PM)Stevil Wrote:  Of course, I would tend to ask the question the other way around.
Why are women and non scientists more likely to believe in things without supporting evidence?

The answer for scientists is possibly because they are taught the importance of supporting evidence. They are taught how deductions can be false and due to personal assumptions, beliefs and wants. They are taught methods to overcome personal bias and to look for objectivity and conclusions based on objective evidence.

I'd wonder how man scientists who identify as atheists, only became atheists after choosing an education path, who would credit it with their particular education in their majors.

Folks like Dawkins indicate they were atheists at a very early age as I remember.

I think people inclined to be atheists are drawn to study the sciences. That there's perhaps some parallel here between why folks on the autistic spectrum are drawn to these fields, and atheists in general.

It's not about reason, science, of evidence per se, but one's chosen identify, how he wants to see himself, and be recognized by others as. And I think this makes it bit more complicated, than any overtly simplistic explanations.
People aren't inclined to be atheists.
Atheism is the starting point. You have to indoctrinate a person to make them a believer.

For example, people aren't born believing in alien abductions, or chem trails. Shit happens during their life and then they irrationally become a believer.

Generally, by the time a person goes to university they have worked shit out. They have either been heavily indoctrinated into some irrational religion, or they have realised that its all bullshit, or they have never been indoctrinated.

Many religious folk act very despicably towards their children, they baptise them, they circumcise them, they give them nursery rhymes that have been injected with god, god, god. They force them to go to church, force them to say grace, send them on religious camps. The poor kids don't have a chance at reason and free will.

Then those deeply religious ones start to see science as the enemy, especially when they see conflict between scientific discovery and their own religious beliefs. So they either avoid science and discovery of knowledge and instead go to church and seek assertions, anecdotes and Christian comfort.
[+] 3 users Like Stevil's post
24-04-2016, 02:06 PM
(24-04-2016 06:16 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(23-04-2016 10:23 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Calling the Reason Really an 'atheist convention' is like calling E3 (the Electronic Entertainment Expo) or PAX East (the Penny Arcade Expo in Boston) a 'Ubisoft Convention' or an 'Electronic Arts Convention' just because they have their own booth at the gathering.

It's a convention for atheists who support certain positions, regarding science and reason.

The analogy would be an evangelical convention, where it's correct to say it's a gathering of theists.
I would say theists that respect and agree with science would feel included at a reason rally.

Reason rally, for atheists and theists alike.
[+] 2 users Like Stevil's post
24-04-2016, 02:13 PM
(24-04-2016 07:07 AM)Mittens Deluxe Wrote:  Jesus Christ, that comment about being high on the autism spectrum and having trouble assigning "intelligent agency". What the fuck is that gibberish?

Tommy-boy has admitted on several occasions that he is only here to troll. He just wants to stir up controversy and provoke. He has no interest in debate or presenting and defending a position.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
24-04-2016, 02:43 PM
(24-04-2016 06:16 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(23-04-2016 10:23 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Calling the Reason Really an 'atheist convention' is like calling E3 (the Electronic Entertainment Expo) or PAX East (the Penny Arcade Expo in Boston) a 'Ubisoft Convention' or an 'Electronic Arts Convention' just because they have their own booth at the gathering.

It's a convention for atheists who support certain positions, regarding science and reason.

The analogy would be an evangelical convention, where it's correct to say it's a gathering of theists.

No, it's not. It is a convention of rational thinkers, some of whom are atheist.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
24-04-2016, 03:45 PM
(24-04-2016 02:06 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(24-04-2016 06:16 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  It's a convention for atheists who support certain positions, regarding science and reason.

I would say theists that respect and agree with science would feel included at a reason rally.

Reason rally, for atheists and theists alike.

Not really the website says its for those who hold that they can be good without God.

Theists welcome only to the extent that an atheist is welcome at a Christian convention.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
24-04-2016, 03:53 PM
(24-04-2016 03:45 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  Not really the website says its for those who hold that they can be good without God. [...]

Worrying that theists apparently require someone (their god?) to keep them on the straight and narrow. Presumably without fear of their god's wrath, they'd all be robbing banks and raping schoolgirls?

Atheists manage to constrain themselves without any god-figure. Strange ain't it?

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
24-04-2016, 04:42 PM
(24-04-2016 03:53 PM)SYZ Wrote:  
(24-04-2016 03:45 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  Not really the website says its for those who hold that they can be good without God. [...]

Worrying that theists apparently require someone (their god?) to keep them on the straight and narrow. Presumably without fear of their god's wrath, they'd all be robbing banks and raping schoolgirls?

Atheists manage to constrain themselves without any god-figure. Strange ain't it?

Perhaps something was lost in translation. I highlighted that to show that the reason rally, is an atheist gathering. Catering to an atheist audience, etc. Not because I was taking issue with the view of being good without God.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
24-04-2016, 04:44 PM
(24-04-2016 02:43 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(24-04-2016 06:16 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  It's a convention for atheists who support certain positions, regarding science and reason.

No, it's not. It is a convention of rational thinkers, some of whom are atheist.

It's a convention for atheist that identity as rational thinkers. A point that should be fairly obvious when looking at the list of speakers. Let me know the next time a theists speaker headlines the show.