The Psychology of Atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-04-2016, 08:51 PM
RE: The Psychology of Atheism
(24-04-2016 08:27 PM)epronovost Wrote:  It makes an emphasis on skeptical inquiry because it's a powerful tool to debunk theism
Don't agree with the "because" clause here.
Skepticisim is a powerful tool to challenge all claims, regardless of whether they are theistic claims.

(24-04-2016 08:27 PM)epronovost Wrote:  It's not an excluding theist either, but it's clearly designed to promote secularism
Secularism isn't anti theism, it is a way to allow for diverse beliefs so that one doesn't dominate others.

Theists that are not motivated to force their own beliefs on others, would not have a problem with a secular society. Some, might even desire a secular society and hence might support a secular rally.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-04-2016, 12:00 AM
(24-04-2016 01:00 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(23-04-2016 10:35 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Also, it's been my experience that atheists are roughly equally represented in the genders.

Depends on the location I suppose.

(23-04-2016 10:35 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  I'm open to correction from reputable sources, of course, but having been a participant in the online atheist community for almost two decades now, I think that atheist/freethought forums have a higher percentage of women than most websites, and that percentage rivals the male/female ratio at religious websites, too.

In Poland situation looks different. According to Radosław Tyrała Everyday Life Without God: A Sociology of Atheism and Unbelief number of atheists is not equal in both sexes: 71% of atheists are men 29% women*. He used both data gathered by Central Statistical Office and himself so one could assume that number is reliable.

According to Polish General Social Survey from years 1992-2008 number looks different: 65.5% atheists are men, 34.5% are women though methodology differs as Tyrała used auto-declaration and survey asked about position on scale of irreligiosity**.

*Radosław Tyrała, Everyday Life Without God: A Sociology of Atheism and Unbelief, s. 147.
**Ibidem, s. 148.

I have no doubt that local, regional, and national variations exist, and I'm aware as well that my anecdotal experience is not evidence. Thanks for the info.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
25-04-2016, 12:07 AM
(24-04-2016 05:21 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  "To dispel stereotypes ("there is no one 'True Atheist' "). Participation by non-theists of all political persuasions, ethnicities, genders, and backgrounds was encouraged. The intent was to show that there are secular Americans in every major demographic."

"Organizers said the aim of the rally was twofold: to unite individuals with similar beliefs and to show the American public that the number of people who don’t believe in God is large and growing. “We have the numbers to be taken seriously,” said Paul Fidalgo, spokesman for the Center for Inquiry, which promotes the scientific method and reasoning and was one of the organizations sponsoring the rally. “We’re not just a tiny fringe group.”[9]"

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reason_Rally

So there, it should be clear at this point that it's an atheists gathering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All that aside, you're still drawing a false equivalence, insofar reason is not a god, it's a mental process, not to be worshiped, but to be practiced.

Yours is simply a fancied "atheism is a religion too!" argument.

Now, if you want to compare it to a convention devoted to irrationality, maybe you should do just that.

Oh, wait.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
25-04-2016, 12:13 AM
(25-04-2016 12:00 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(24-04-2016 01:00 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  Depends on the location I suppose.

In Poland situation looks different. According to Radosław Tyrała Everyday Life Without God: A Sociology of Atheism and Unbelief number of atheists is not equal in both sexes: 71% of atheists are men 29% women*. He used both data gathered by Central Statistical Office and himself so one could assume that number is reliable.

According to Polish General Social Survey from years 1992-2008 number looks different: 65.5% atheists are men, 34.5% are women though methodology differs as Tyrała used auto-declaration and survey asked about position on scale of irreligiosity**.

*Radosław Tyrała, Everyday Life Without God: A Sociology of Atheism and Unbelief, s. 147.
**Ibidem, s. 148.

I have no doubt that local, regional, and national variations exist, and I'm aware as well that my anecdotal experience is not evidence. Thanks for the info.

No problem.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
25-04-2016, 12:14 AM
(24-04-2016 05:33 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  It appears you do. You work quite hard to avoid admitting that you were wrong even when beat over the head with it. When the organizers are pointing to their audience as representing those who don't believe in God, your argument is dead.

Definition of reasoning in English:

reasoning
Pronunciation: /ˈriːz(ə)nɪŋ/
NOUN

[MASS NOUN]
The action of thinking about something in a logical, sensible way:
he explained the reasoning behind his decision at a media conference

atheism
Pronunciation: /ˈeɪθɪɪz(ə)m/
NOUN

[MASS NOUN]
Disbelief or lack of belief in the existence of God or gods.
Example sentences Synonyms
Origin

Late 16th century: from French athéisme, from Greek atheos, from a- 'without' + theos 'god'.

Oxford English dictionary.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 2 users Like Banjo's post
25-04-2016, 07:50 AM
(24-04-2016 05:33 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(24-04-2016 05:30 PM)Chas Wrote:  You seem to have a selective reading problem. Drinking Beverage

It appears you do. You work quite hard to avoid admitting that you were wrong even when beat over the head with it. When the organizers are pointing to their audience as representing those who don't believe in God, your argument is dead.

But I am not wrong. You continue to ignore the inclusionary language.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
25-04-2016, 07:58 AM
(25-04-2016 07:50 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(24-04-2016 05:33 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  It appears you do. You work quite hard to avoid admitting that you were wrong even when beat over the head with it. When the organizers are pointing to their audience as representing those who don't believe in God, your argument is dead.

But I am not wrong. You continue to ignore the inclusionary language.

Inclusive to those who don't believe in God, but feel more comfortable labeling themselves as skeptics as opposed to atheists.

Like I said the organizers of the Reason Rally themselves have explicitly identified their audience as representative of those who don't believe in God. I'm not sure how much more clearer you need this spelled out to you.

And out of curiosity, would you say this is an atheists forum?

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
25-04-2016, 08:05 AM
(25-04-2016 12:07 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  So there, it should be clear at this point that it's an atheists gathering. [

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All that aside, you're still drawing a false equivalence, insofar reason is not a god, it's a mental process, not to be worshiped, but to be practiced.

Yours is simply a fancied "atheism is a religion too!" argument. [/quote]

Not really. I don't see how pointing out that the Reason Rally is an atheists gathering implies it's religious, anymore so that pointing out this is an atheists forum, implies it's religious. I just find it funny that some folks here, are willing to stretch credulity to argue that it's not, that it's an inclusive event, seeking both theists and atheists alike. When it's blatantly, even in the words of it's organizers, a gathering of those who don't believe in God, who support science, reason, skepticism, and some other common catchwords.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
25-04-2016, 08:18 AM
(25-04-2016 08:05 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  science, reason, skepticism, and some other common catchwords.

They're catchwords?

You're posting on a computer dumb arse!

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 2 users Like Banjo's post
25-04-2016, 08:21 AM
(25-04-2016 08:05 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  Not really. I don't see how pointing out that the Reason Rally is an atheists gathering implies it's religious, anymore so that pointing out this is an atheists forum, implies it's religious.

Fine.

This is an atheist forum.
The Reason Rally is an atheist convention.

What is your fucking point?

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 1 user Likes Fatbaldhobbit's post