The Psychology of Atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-04-2016, 09:31 AM
RE: The Psychology of Atheism
(25-04-2016 09:29 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(25-04-2016 09:26 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Aka "I lack the intellectual capacity to argue against what you wrote and I lack the moral integrity to admit you are correct."

Educate yourself

Yep that's it. ::CLAP, CLAP:::

Prove me wrong

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
25-04-2016, 09:56 AM (This post was last modified: 25-04-2016 10:02 AM by Deesse23.)
(25-04-2016 09:26 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  The Reason Rally is about atheists who support reason.

Its exactly the other way around. You dont want to understand, right? Atheists dont chose to belive, they are forced to believe what is supported by evidence and disbelieve what is not. Its because most of them are sceptics by nature. Atheism is just a result.
Thats why most atheists rather like to be labeled sceptics.

The atheism of most people is a result of their scepticism. They are first sceptics, then atheists.
If someone could convince them (via reason, evidence, all that nasty stuff you dislike), then they would be theists, believers...and still sceptics. Cool

Thats why the reason rally is so closely conneced to atheism. Not because atheists chose to be sceptic and love reason, no, its because sceptics and rational thinkers mostly become atheists, just like most highly educated scientists (see the other silly thread). Thats why sceptic believers in any deity or rational thinking theists/deists or whatever would be welcome. Too bad, sceptics and rational thinkers are so rare amongst believers, as you and your likes demostrate so professionally on this forum. Please dont blame atheitsts for that!

Its really not that hard, is it? Now dont pretend to be more stupid then you actually are, ok? You already knew this. You arent that ignorant, right?
Smartass

Cause and effect, are those known concepts to you? Dont mix em up or you end...by thinking someone choses to be an atheist and then a sceptic. Facepalm

P.S.: Thats the difference between most atheists/sceptics and most believers. An atheist would change his mind. See Nye and Ham etc.

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
[+] 2 users Like Deesse23's post
25-04-2016, 10:15 AM
(25-04-2016 08:24 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(25-04-2016 08:21 AM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  Fine.

This is an atheist forum.
The Reason Rally is an atheist convention.

What is your fucking point?

That's it. If we can all agree on that, then for the time being I have nothing further to argue.

What is your fascination with "arguing' that's your, pun unintended, reason for being here? Is that what you stated on the why are theists here thread?

I thought it was about learning different manners or trying to inform others. But apparently your mentality equates "arguing" as the form of discussion and discourse that is the only thing generating "meaningful" communication. No wonder you continually remain one noted if your goal is arguing opposed to anything. It's a teenage level of discourse, that limits the human mental potential in that vast mind of yours there.

But again you'd rather "argue' over a purely semantical point of is it an X label or is it an Y label... wow that's so time worthy arguing right there. You really showed them all that magnificent folly with that one. Can't you communicate like an adult again, you got to a solid point last year but all that seemed to go out the window back into bickery classification claims or reusing the same old never consistently stuck with to counter points against baby argument in any thread it can be used.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 2 users Like ClydeLee's post
25-04-2016, 10:58 AM
(25-04-2016 10:15 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  What is your fascination with "arguing' that's your, pun unintended, reason for being here? Is that what you stated on the why are theists here thread?

I can help with this question.

According to his own posts, he is here to make people uncomfortable. He won't debate, he won't even state his beliefs openly. He just wants to prod, provoke and manipulate.

The poster has no interest in honest discussion or even passionate debate. He has gone to great lengths to twist threads, provoke confrontations and cause dissension.

(05-04-2016 07:12 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  If I'm not making people uncomfortable then I'm not doing it right.

(04-04-2016 10:42 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  I hold no religious views I care to defend or argue about with atheists. I made no positive religious claims, so demands that I prove or justify them, are to be ignored. As far as you are to be concerned, I only lack a belief in a variety of things that you do, because in Rome I do as the Romans, and I'm only interested in what the Romans do.

(05-04-2016 07:42 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  If I desired to coddle you, or be an uncle tom, than no I wouldn't be doing it right. If I prefer to exploit and tap at the lines between atheism and theism, I expect people to be uncomfortable. Particularly folks who don't like the religious all that much to begin with.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 1 user Likes Fatbaldhobbit's post
25-04-2016, 11:01 AM
(25-04-2016 09:56 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:  Its exactly the other way around. You dont want to understand, right? Atheists dont chose to belive, they are forced to believe what is supported by evidence and disbelieve what is not. Its because most of them are sceptics by nature. Atheism is just a result.

I'm not sure what it is you're going on about, or if you're confusing me with some other poster.

If you're not arguing that the Reason Rally is not geared towards an atheists audience, that it's not a gathering of atheists, then I'm not too sure what you're arguing with me about.

I didn't say anything about choices, anything about atheists choosing to not believe, so I'm at a loss to explain this. I don't think beliefs are a matter of choice, as if I could somehow chose not to be a believer, or a person can choose to be an atheists, like we choose what pair of socks we put on in the morning.

Quote:Thats why most atheists rather like to be labeled skeptics.

Thank you supporting my contention to Chas, that the skeptic connotation used by the reason rally wasn't to be inclusive to theists, but rather serving that atheists demographics that prefer the skeptic label instead of atheist.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
25-04-2016, 11:05 AM
(25-04-2016 11:01 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(25-04-2016 09:56 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:  Its exactly the other way around. You dont want to understand, right? Atheists dont chose to belive, they are forced to believe what is supported by evidence and disbelieve what is not. Its because most of them are sceptics by nature. Atheism is just a result.

I'm not sure what it is you're going on about, or if you're confusing me with some other poster.

If you're not arguing that the Reason Rally is not geared towards an atheists audience, that it's not a gathering of atheists, then I'm not too sure what you're arguing with me about.

I didn't say anything about choices, anything about atheists choosing to not believe, so I'm at a loss to explain this. I don't think beliefs are a matter of choice, as if I could somehow chose not to be a believer, or a person can choose to be an atheists, like we choose what pair of socks we put on in the morning.

Thank you supporting my contention to Chas, that the skeptic connotation used by the reason rally wasn't to be inclusive to theists, but rather serving that atheists demographics that prefer the skeptic label instead of atheist.

Still waiting Drinking Beverage

-Rick
25-04-2016, 11:11 AM
(25-04-2016 11:01 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  

"Thank you supporting my contention to Chas, that the skeptic connotation used by the reason rally wasn't to be inclusive to theists, but rather serving that atheists demographics that prefer the skeptic label instead of atheist."

His statement doesn't support your "contention" (straw man).

-Rick
25-04-2016, 11:15 AM
(25-04-2016 10:15 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  What is your fascination with "arguing' that's your, pun unintended, reason for being here? Is that what you stated on the why are theists here thread?

What's fascinating to me is the level of mental gymnastics people would jump through to argue against the trivially obvious. That some folks here seem to be bothered by the idea that Reason Rally is an exclusive gathering, catering to an atheists audience, even though this has been spelled out to them already.

What's fascinating to me is the sort of possessiveness over the label of "atheism", the seeming desire to keep it pure, and uncluttered, and unassociated. What's fascinating to me is the way atheism for many has become an integral part of their identity.

That's an ongoing curiosity for me, these arguments are just a part of that. It might appear that I'm arguing for the sake of arguing, but it's driven more by a fascination that the association between atheisms and gatherings like the Reason Rally, are touchy for some. It's fascinating to me that even after spelling it all out very clearly to Chas, providing the words of the organizers of the rally themselves, that Chas is still willing to fight tooth and nails for his dead argument.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
25-04-2016, 11:16 AM
(25-04-2016 11:15 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  

What's fascinating to me is the level of mental gymnastics people would jump through to argue against the trivially obvious. That some folks here seem to be bothered by the idea that Reason Rally is an exclusive gathering, catering to an atheists audience, even though this has been spelled out to them already.

What's fascinating to me is the sort of possessiveness over the label of "atheism", the seeming desire to keep it pure, and uncluttered, and unassociated. What's fascinating to me is the way atheism for many has become an integral part of their identity.

That's an ongoing curiosity for me, these arguments are just a part of that. It might appear that I'm arguing for the sake of arguing, but it's driven more by a fascination that the association between atheisms and gatherings like the Reason Rally, are touchy for some. It's fascinating to me that even after spelling it all out very clearly to Chas, providing the words of the organizers of the rally themselves, that Chas is still willing to fight tooth and nails for his dead argument.

"What's fascinating to me is the level of mental gymnastics people would jump through to argue against the trivially obvious."

Pots meets kettle Drinking Beverage

-Rick
[+] 2 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
25-04-2016, 12:12 PM
(25-04-2016 11:01 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  Thank you supporting my contention to Chas, that the skeptic connotation used by the reason rally wasn't to be inclusive to theists, but rather serving that atheists demographics that prefer the skeptic label instead of atheist.

Writing this right after i explained why it was inclusive just shows you being a pathetic lying troll. Now that everyone can see who you really are, im gonna back up from this insane thread.

Im done with you. No reason to waste more time with such a dishonest piece of shit like you.

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
[+] 2 users Like Deesse23's post