The Psychology of Atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-04-2016, 12:49 PM
RE: The Psychology of Atheism
(25-04-2016 09:20 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(25-04-2016 08:28 AM)Banjo Wrote:  See my Oxford dictionary quotes.

Reason and atheism are two different things.

Reason may and should lead one to atheism. However, it is not a rule.

The Reason Rally, according to the organizers of said rally, is a gathering of those who don't believe in God, representative of the population of non-believers.

Except it isn't. Your reading comprehension sucks.

reasonrally.org Wrote:Reason Rally 2016 is a celebration of fact-driven public policy, the value of critical thinking, and the voting power of secular Americans.

Showing Our Presence
The goal of Reason Rally 2016 is to showcase the presence and power of the nonreligious voting bloc, and to demand that reason be put at the forefront of our public and political discourse. We want to excite and empower attendees about that message so they bring it back home and apply it at the local and state levels.

Celebrating Secularism
Not only are we celebrating our secular, atheist, agnostic, humanist, freethinking, and nonreligious identities, we are preparing to exercise our power at the voting box to bring good sense back to government. But Reason Rally 2016 is first and foremost a celebration — we’ll have awesome speakers, bands, entertainment, and political leaders — all there to celebrate and support the secular community.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
25-04-2016, 01:11 PM
(25-04-2016 12:49 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(25-04-2016 09:20 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  The Reason Rally, according to the organizers of said rally, is a gathering of those who don't believe in God, representative of the population of non-believers.

Except it isn't. Your reading comprehension sucks.

reasonrally.org Wrote:Reason Rally 2016 is a celebration of fact-driven public policy, the value of critical thinking, and the voting power of secular Americans.

Showing Our Presence
The goal of Reason Rally 2016 is to showcase the presence and power of the nonreligious voting bloc, and to demand that reason be put at the forefront of our public and political discourse. We want to excite and empower attendees about that message so they bring it back home and apply it at the local and state levels.

Celebrating Secularism
Not only are we celebrating our secular, atheist, agnostic, humanist, freethinking, and nonreligious identities, we are preparing to exercise our power at the voting box to bring good sense back to government. But Reason Rally 2016 is first and foremost a celebration — we’ll have awesome speakers, bands, entertainment, and political leaders — all there to celebrate and support the secular community.

I'm not sure how any of your quotes above where inclusive to theists as well. Pointing out other labels some atheists are often more comfortable with than atheist, doesn't really support your claim that the reason rally is inclusive to theists as well, and not geared towards atheists.

I've provided you other quotes that explicitly, with no room for ambiguity, pointed this exclusively out to you.

I'll quote them again:

"Speaking to NPR prior to the rally, American Atheist president David Silverman stated that this is a coming-of-age event for atheists, "We'll look back at the Reason Rally as one of the game-changing events when people started to look at atheism and look at atheists in a different light."

"Organizers said the aim of the rally was twofold: to unite individuals with similar beliefs and to show the American public that the number of people who don’t believe in God is large and growing. “We have the numbers to be taken seriously,” said Paul Fidalgo, spokesman for the Center for Inquiry, which promotes the scientific method and reasoning and was one of the organizations sponsoring the rally. “We’re not just a tiny fringe group."

So please tell me how "people who don't believe in God", "atheism", includes theists as well.

Give it a rest. You lost this argument.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
Find all posts by this user
25-04-2016, 01:19 PM
(25-04-2016 12:12 PM)Deesse23 Wrote:  Writing this right after i explained why it was inclusive just shows you being a pathetic lying troll. Now that everyone can see who you really are, im gonna back up from this insane thread.

Im done with you. No reason to waste more time with such a dishonest piece of shit like you.

When the organizers of Reason Rally, define their own audience, and recipients, as representatives of those who don't believe in God, the exclusivity is spelled in plain letters for you.

Perhaps you don't like the facts that it's geared exclusively to atheists, and the numerous labels they often use for themselves, but I'll take the words of it's organizers as definitive here, more so than yours. You're doing a worst job than those who advocate for ID suggesting that it's not introducing religion into public schools.

"Speaking to NPR prior to the rally, American Atheist president David Silverman stated that this is a coming-of-age event for atheists, "We'll look back at the Reason Rally as one of the game-changing events when people started to look at atheism and look at atheists in a different light."

"Organizers said the aim of the rally was twofold: to unite individuals with similar beliefs and to show the American public that the number of people who don’t believe in God is large and growing. “We have the numbers to be taken seriously,” said Paul Fidalgo, spokesman for the Center for Inquiry, which promotes the scientific method and reasoning and was one of the organizations sponsoring the rally. “We’re not just a tiny fringe group."

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
25-04-2016, 01:26 PM
(25-04-2016 01:19 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(25-04-2016 12:12 PM)Deesse23 Wrote:  Writing this right after i explained why it was inclusive just shows you being a pathetic lying troll. Now that everyone can see who you really are, im gonna back up from this insane thread.

Im done with you. No reason to waste more time with such a dishonest piece of shit like you.

When the organizers of Reason Rally, define their own audience, and recipients, as representatives of those who don't believe in God, the exclusivity is spelled in plain letters for you.

Perhaps you don't like the facts that it's geared exclusively to atheists, and the numerous labels they often use for themselves, but I'll take the words of it's organizers as definitive here, more so than yours. You're doing a worst job than those who advocate for ID suggesting that it's not introducing religion into public schools.

"Perhaps you don't like the facts..."
Laugh out load You wouldn't know a fact if it bit you in your heavily-biased ass.

Still waiting Drinking Beverage (side note: people seem to agree with me in my assessment your claims are flawed, and don't appear to agree with your asinine reply. Just sayin Consider )

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
25-04-2016, 01:37 PM
(25-04-2016 01:26 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Still waiting Drinking Beverage (side note: people seem to agree with me in my assessment your claims are flawed, and don't appear to agree with your asinine reply. Just sayin Consider )

Yes, I'm going to sit here and spend some considerable time pondering why a bunch of atheists on a forum, often agree with each other.

25-04-2016, 02:13 PM
(24-04-2016 05:21 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  [...] So there, it should be clear at this point that it's an atheists gathering.

For some reason known only to yourself, you seem determined to make the Reason Rally into solely an "atheist" talk-fest. You've made this self-determined assertion several times now, and my response is... so what if it was?

You're also obviously unaware that many of the folks who attended were not atheists by definition. There were Bahá'í, Taoists, Buddhists, gnostics, pagans, humanists, Wiccans, Hindus etc. present. And I'm guessing that there was even a number of Christians there too—with far more open minds than yours.

These people attended because the thrust of the rally was to consider and debate enlightened 21st-century reason in the light of outdated, outmoded, unscientific, irrational and Dark Ages religious dogma.

Can you please tell us why you're so fearful of a peaceful, organised rally discussing the age of reason? Are all Christians like you—apparently closed-minded, and afraid of people who don't think like you? And if your putative god-figure is all-seeing and all-powerful, why then are you so consistently belligerent towards atheists? Whatever happened to Matthew 5:39 anyway?

[Image: rrark.jpg]

Big Grin

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 3 users Like SYZ's post
25-04-2016, 02:15 PM
(25-04-2016 01:37 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(25-04-2016 01:26 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Still waiting Drinking Beverage (side note: people seem to agree with me in my assessment your claims are flawed, and don't appear to agree with your asinine reply. Just sayin Consider )

Yes, I'm going to sit here and spend some considerable time pondering why a bunch of atheists on a forum, often agree with each other.

You already have and actively are spending "considerable time" arguing for the bullshit you consider a coherent and salient point (as you continue to avoid the topic at hand).

Still waiting on you to prove me wrong but thus far, you keep proving me correct Drinking Beverage

-Rick
25-04-2016, 02:23 PM

In the event that it has escaped you exactly what I am referring to. My post.

And your asinine reply

Prove me wrong, or keep doing what you're doing and continue to prove me correct. Drinking Beverage I'll wait.

-Rick
25-04-2016, 02:33 PM

It really doesn't matter what Silverman says about it - he's not the organizer nor is his organization.
Try again. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
25-04-2016, 02:43 PM
(25-04-2016 02:13 PM)SYZ Wrote:  
(24-04-2016 05:21 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  [...] So there, it should be clear at this point that it's an atheists gathering.

For some reason known only to yourself, you seem determined to make the Reason Rally into solely an "atheist" talk-fest. You've made this self-determined assertion several times now, and my response is... so what if it was?

You're also obviously unaware that many of the folks who attended were not atheists by definition. There were Bahá'í, Taoists, Buddhists, gnostics, pagans, humanists, Wiccans, Hindus etc. present. And I'm guessing that there was even a number of Christians there too—with far more open minds than yours.

These people attended because the thrust of the rally was to consider and debate enlightened 21st-century reason in the light of outdated, outmoded, unscientific, irrational and Dark Ages religious dogma.

Can you please tell us why you're so fearful of a peaceful, organised rally discussing the age of reason? Are all Christians like you—apparently closed-minded, and afraid of people who don't think like you? And if your putative god-figure is all-seeing and all-powerful, why then are you so consistently belligerent towards atheists? Whatever happened to Matthew 5:39 anyway?

[Image: rrark.jpg]

Big Grin

I don't have a problem with the Reason Rally, nor fear it. Nor do I take issue with it being exclusive, geared towards atheists, anymore so than I take issue with a Christian convention, for not being more inclusive to atheists. It is what it is, no value judgement need to be applied here.

I take issue with those who try and pretend that it's not geared towards atheists, that it's not a gathering for those who don't believe in God, and share a variety of other views as well, particularly when in light quotes from the organizers themselves, list of speakers etc.... I'm not too sure why some here want to pretend otherwise. I'm sure if a Christian or Muslim, etc.. wanted to attend the Reason Rally, there'd likely be folks there to welcome me with open arms, but that wouldn't mean it's geared towards these demographics, because clearly it's not. Just like some people don't mind theists participating in this forum, though they'll be quick to remind you that it's an atheists forum.

And if I'm rude, or belligerent towards a particular atheist, it would have nothing to do with the fact that he doesn't believe in God. Just like if someone here doesn't particularly care for me, it likely has nothing to do with me being brown.