The Psychology of Atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-04-2016, 02:44 PM
RE: The Psychology of Atheism
(25-04-2016 01:37 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  Yes, I'm going to sit here and spend some considerable time pondering why a bunch of atheists on a forum, often agree with each other.

Yeah that's almost as bad as groups of people who kneel together and talk to imaginary friends.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-04-2016, 02:45 PM
(25-04-2016 02:33 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(25-04-2016 01:19 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  When the organizers of Reason Rally, define their own audience, and recipients, as representatives of those who don't believe in God, the exclusivity is spelled in plain letters for you.

Perhaps you don't like the facts that it's geared exclusively to atheists, and the numerous labels they often use for themselves, but I'll take the words of it's organizers as definitive here, more so than yours. You're doing a worst job than those who advocate for ID suggesting that it's not introducing religion into public schools.

"Speaking to NPR prior to the rally, American Atheist president David Silverman stated that this is a coming-of-age event for atheists, "We'll look back at the Reason Rally as one of the game-changing events when people started to look at atheism and look at atheists in a different light."

"Organizers said the aim of the rally was twofold: to unite individuals with similar beliefs and to show the American public that the number of people who don’t believe in God is large and growing. “We have the numbers to be taken seriously,” said Paul Fidalgo, spokesman for the Center for Inquiry, which promotes the scientific method and reasoning and was one of the organizations sponsoring the rally. “We’re not just a tiny fringe group."

It really doesn't matter what Silverman says about it - he's not the organizer nor is his organization.
Try again. Drinking Beverage

His organization is one the major sponsors of it, clearly a better representative of the Rally than you, because far as I know you have no association whatsoever with it, yet think you can speak on it's behalf.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
25-04-2016, 02:47 PM
(25-04-2016 02:44 PM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  
(25-04-2016 01:37 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  Yes, I'm going to sit here and spend some considerable time pondering why a bunch of atheists on a forum, often agree with each other.

Yeah that's almost as bad as groups of people who kneel together and talk to imaginary friends.

touche

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
25-04-2016, 02:47 PM
(25-04-2016 02:44 PM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  

We shall now take sacrament to Lord Satan. Pray for the soul of desperate Tommy, that he may understand the Dark Lord's power, and be damned. Yer God's a wimp, Tommy. No one can save you from death Smile

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
25-04-2016, 03:31 PM
(25-04-2016 02:45 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(25-04-2016 02:33 PM)Chas Wrote:  It really doesn't matter what Silverman says about it - he's not the organizer nor is his organization.
Try again. Drinking Beverage

His organization is one the major sponsors of it, clearly a better representative of the Rally than you, because far as I know you have no association whatsoever with it, yet think you can speak on it's behalf.

No, you keep asserting your opinions about it while I factually quote what the organizers actually say.

You are not making an argument, you are merely bloviating.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
25-04-2016, 04:02 PM
Drinking Beverage still waiting

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
25-04-2016, 04:08 PM
bloviating, one of my favorites.
25-04-2016, 06:53 PM
(25-04-2016 02:43 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  [...] I don't have a problem with the Reason Rally, nor fear it. Nor do I take issue with it being exclusive, geared towards atheists, anymore so than I take issue with a Christian convention, for not being more inclusive to atheists.

Regardless of what you claim, you still seem to be overly concerned—even at a subconscious level?—that it's exclusively an atheistic rally. You obviously missed my earlier posting wherein I disabused you of this notion—and that there were several other ostensible "religious" persuasions present; Taoists, gnostics, pagans, Buddhists, humanists, Wiccans etc. People of all philosophical leanings in fact.

You're putting too much stead on the term "atheist" audience in this instance. It'd be like saying a public debate between William Lane Craig and Richard Dawkins was predominantly a "Christian" debate, or an "atheist" debate when in actuality it's neither—it's neutral (or at least intended to be unless WLC loads the audience as he usually does LOL.)

And ultimately of course, by the very nature of the event, you'll find far more people of no religion attending. Is that an issue? The mere fact that you've posted a dozen times on this topic, and won't let it go, makes me think so.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 1 user Likes SYZ's post
25-04-2016, 10:56 PM
(25-04-2016 06:53 PM)SYZ Wrote:  And ultimately of course, by the very nature of the event, you'll find far more people of no religion attending. Is that an issue? The mere fact that you've posted a dozen times on this topic, and won't let it go, makes me think so.

He's still searching for a point where he can crowbar in an "atheism is a religion too, you're just as irrational as the rest of us jackasses". For some reason he thinks gathering together in a group is symptomatic of being religious.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post
26-04-2016, 05:06 AM
The Psychology of Atheism
(25-04-2016 03:31 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(25-04-2016 02:45 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  His organization is one the major sponsors of it, clearly a better representative of the Rally than you, because far as I know you have no association whatsoever with it, yet think you can speak on it's behalf.

No, you keep asserting your opinions about it while I factually quote what the organizers actually say.

You are not making an argument, you are merely bloviating.

The quotes from the organizers you provided said nothing about the rally being inclusive to theists, they just used a variety of common labels, those who don't believe in God often attach to themselves, often preferred over the label "atheist".

The quotes I provided explicitly, with no ambiguity indicated the event was geared towards atheists, that this is target audience and demographic.