The Psychology of Atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-04-2016, 05:09 AM
The Psychology of Atheism
(25-04-2016 10:56 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(25-04-2016 06:53 PM)SYZ Wrote:  And ultimately of course, by the very nature of the event, you'll find far more people of no religion attending. Is that an issue? The mere fact that you've posted a dozen times on this topic, and won't let it go, makes me think so.

He's still searching for a point where he can crowbar in an "atheism is a religion too, you're just as irrational as the rest of us jackasses". For some reason he thinks gathering together in a group is symptomatic of being religious.

Atheism is not a religion, nor do I think atheists gathering together in a group is symptomatic of being religious.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-04-2016, 05:29 AM
RE: The Psychology of Atheism
This thread takes me back to before the 2012 Reason Rally when the overly abarrive with intent Trainwreck proclaimed for sure not likely more than even 1 thousand people would show up to it, and the lowest of estimates coming from religious sites proclaimed around 8 thousand people were there while others ranged around 20,000 as a data point.

I would anticipate this event would seemingly have a larger audience with more publicity word of how it went before this time too.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
26-04-2016, 05:32 AM
(25-04-2016 10:56 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(25-04-2016 06:53 PM)SYZ Wrote:  And ultimately of course, by the very nature of the event, you'll find far more people of no religion attending. Is that an issue? The mere fact that you've posted a dozen times on this topic, and won't let it go, makes me think so.

He's still searching for a point where he can crowbar in an "atheism is a religion too, you're just as irrational as the rest of us jackasses". For some reason he thinks gathering together in a group is symptomatic of being religious.

Perhaps it is just easier to be dismissive of a call for atheism than a call for reason.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
26-04-2016, 05:41 AM
(26-04-2016 05:32 AM)unfogged Wrote:  
(25-04-2016 10:56 PM)morondog Wrote:  He's still searching for a point where he can crowbar in an "atheism is a religion too, you're just as irrational as the rest of us jackasses". For some reason he thinks gathering together in a group is symptomatic of being religious.

Perhaps it is just easier to be dismissive of a call for atheism than a call for reason.

Exactly. A call for reasonable and logical people correlates with the less/non-religious. So instead of dismissing reason and logic, he'd rather dismiss atheists because he considers himself a rational and logical person. Of course, his words and religious bullshit contradict that, but he can't or won't see that fact Drinking Beverage

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
26-04-2016, 06:11 AM
(25-04-2016 03:31 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(25-04-2016 02:45 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  His organization is one the major sponsors of it, clearly a better representative of the Rally than you, because far as I know you have no association whatsoever with it, yet think you can speak on it's behalf.

No, you keep asserting your opinions about it while I factually quote what the organizers actually say.

You are not making an argument, you are merely bloviating.

Just to clarify, David Silverman, is the chairmen of the event committee for the Reason Rally, and not just a sponsor and he explicitly stated this:

"Speaking to NPR prior to the rally, American Atheist president David Silverman stated that this is a coming-of-age event for atheists, "We'll look back at the Reason Rally as one of the game-changing events when people started to look at atheism and look at atheists in a different light".[10]"

So there you go, I'm not sure how it can be any more explicit, and definitive than this, that the Reason Rally is an Atheists gathering. Are you ready you to admit that you were wrong? Or are you going to continue to pathetically argue otherwise.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
26-04-2016, 06:39 AM
(25-04-2016 06:53 PM)SYZ Wrote:  You're putting too much stead on the term "atheist" audience in this instance. It'd be like saying a public debate between William Lane Craig and Richard Dawkins was predominantly a "Christian" debate, or an "atheist" debate when in actuality it's neither—it's neutral (or at least intended to be unless WLC loads the audience as he usually does LOL.)

Well in this regard it is a debate, of two opposing sides, and typically the organizers of such a debate desires to attract both atheists and theists as their audience, and often the audience is broken down as such. If it was a debate among two Christians about whether or not Christians should wear jewelry, etc…, it would be quite accurate to say this is a Christian debate.

Reason Rally isn’t pandering to theists to attend, it’s not their market. The language, the speaker list, the comments from their organizers and sponsors, chairmen, leaves no doubt as to who their target audience is, those who don’t believe in God, and share a variety of other views with them as well.

Quote:You obviously missed my earlier posting wherein I disabused you of this notion—and that there were several other ostensible "religious" persuasions present; Taoists, gnostics, pagans, Buddhists, humanists, Wiccans etc. People of all philosophical leanings in fact.

I don’t recall you providing any data in support of this, but regardless I’ve quoted the Chairmen of the event committee, David Silverman, who stated “the rally is aimed at uniting atheist organizations and letting the religious know that there are nonbelievers among them.”, as a coming-of-age event for atheists, as well as others.

Quote:Regardless of what you claim, you still seem to be overly concerned—even at a subconscious level?—that it's exclusively an atheistic rally.

You’re wrong there, lol. I don’t care about the Reason Rally, whether it’s exclusive or inclusive, whether it was pandering to both theists and atheists alike, even at a subconscious level. To put it more explicitly, I’m more interested in the fact that people deny it’s an atheists gathering, than it being an atheists rally, when it’s quite evident that it is. I’m more interested it what motivates the denial, then what’s actually being denied. Like a psychologist observing groupthink, is more interested in the observation of groupthink, than the actual argument he’s observing.

It’s blatantly an atheists gathering, organizers of the event, the Chairmen of the event, explicitly indicated that, I don’t care that this is the case or not. But what boggles my mind, and drives my curiosity, that even after all this has been pointed out, that people here will still argue otherwise. The arguments otherwise are bad, if not terribly pathetic and desperate.

The only explanation I can come with is groupthink. That I’m observing groupthink firsthand, and things like that interest me. And I wonder if we try hard enough, can people engaging in something like very bad groupthink, be self-aware to the point that they can recognize this. But I’m doubtful.

26-04-2016, 08:25 AM
Still waiting
[Image: 1a825f46984ce9fb8f21904d5d9c2327.jpg]

[Image: burden-of-proof-darth-vader.jpg?resize=650%2C520]

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
26-04-2016, 12:51 PM
While I'm mainly a phony who only lingers on pop psychology information, I do grasp the magnificent psychology study of borem or so called waiting.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
26-04-2016, 01:02 PM
(26-04-2016 05:29 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  This thread takes me back to before the 2012 Reason Rally when the overly abarrive with intent Trainwreck proclaimed for sure not likely more than even 1 thousand people would show up to it, and the lowest of estimates coming from religious sites proclaimed around 8 thousand people were there while others ranged around 20,000 as a data point.

I would anticipate this event would seemingly have a larger audience with more publicity word of how it went before this time too.

I was there. Dunno the count but I seriously couldn't move and had a panic attack. Only way I could get out was hanging onto the ass end of a cop horse.

[Image: DSC_0343.jpg]

In hindsight I would've been better off following Jesus on a dinosaur.

[Image: DSC_0363.jpg]

Or maybe hitched a ride with this guy.

[Image: seth-1.jpg]

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post