The Psychology of Atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-03-2016, 07:47 AM
RE: The Psychology of Atheism
(31-03-2016 07:22 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(31-03-2016 07:11 AM)morondog Wrote:  ^^ Funny old thing. Compare that with access to education and.. ?

Women tend to make up a higher portion of college grads, holding 60% of college degrees, yet only 32% of atheists are female.

One, I'd love to see the source for that number, so that I could take a closer look at the data. Maybe it's because males tend to more heavily populate fields and degrees that have a greater benefit from science and critical thought as opposed to fields where women make up the majority? 'College graduates' covers a huge swath of education levels, from community colleges and technical schools offering associate degrees in cosmetology and web design to doctorates in theoretical physics from Ivy League schools.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like EvolutionKills's post
31-03-2016, 07:55 AM (This post was last modified: 31-03-2016 08:02 AM by Tomasia.)
(31-03-2016 07:42 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(31-03-2016 07:27 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  Why do you believe that position resonates more so with white males, than let's say females?
Dunno. Does that affect whether it's true or not?

Quote:Why do you believe it resonates seemingly more so with individuals on the autistic spectrum than others?

No it doesn't affect whether it's true or not. But they're questions that help answer why you believe that's true, while other's don't. Aspects of the psychology behind the position you find yourself drawn to. Questions important to a general insight into the psychology of atheists.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
31-03-2016, 07:57 AM
(31-03-2016 07:47 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(31-03-2016 07:22 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  Women tend to make up a higher portion of college grads, holding 60% of college degrees, yet only 32% of atheists are female.

One, I'd love to see the source for that number, so that I could take a closer look at the data. Maybe it's because males tend to more heavily populate fields and degrees that have a greater benefit from science and critical thought as opposed to fields where women make up the majority? 'College graduates' covers a huge swath of education levels, from community colleges and technical schools offering associate degrees in cosmetology and web design to doctorates in theoretical physics from Ivy League schools.

I already cited the pew for the gender break down of atheists.

For the claim that woman hold 60% of college degrees, I took it from here:

"FORTUNE — The facts are plain, if puzzling: Not only do women enter college at higher rates than men, but they’re less likely to drop out once they get there. Female grads now account for about 60% of U.S. bachelor’s degree holders."

http://fortune.com/2013/03/27/boys-vs-gi...ender-gap/

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
31-03-2016, 08:01 AM
(31-03-2016 07:55 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(31-03-2016 07:42 AM)morondog Wrote:  Dunno. Does that affect whether it's true or not?

No it doesn't affect whether it's true or not. But they're questions that help answer why you believe that's true, while other's don't. Aspects of the psychology behind the position you find yourself drawn too. Questions important to a general insight into the psychology of atheists.

"drawn to" NOT "draw too" Facepalm

Marburg virus, Ebola, Rabies, HIV, Smallpox, Hantavirus, Dengue Fever all brought to you by god - who cares for us and loves us all Censored
31-03-2016, 08:03 AM
Thumbs Up RE: The Psychology of Atheism
(31-03-2016 08:01 AM)god has no twitter account Wrote:  
(31-03-2016 07:55 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  No it doesn't affect whether it's true or not. But they're questions that help answer why you believe that's true, while other's don't. Aspects of the psychology behind the position you find yourself drawn too. Questions important to a general insight into the psychology of atheists.

"drawn to" NOT "draw too" Facepalm

I corrected it, so you're less offended.

[+] 1 user Likes Tomasia's post
31-03-2016, 08:10 AM
(31-03-2016 07:57 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(31-03-2016 07:47 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  One, I'd love to see the source for that number, so that I could take a closer look at the data. Maybe it's because males tend to more heavily populate fields and degrees that have a greater benefit from science and critical thought as opposed to fields where women make up the majority? 'College graduates' covers a huge swath of education levels, from community colleges and technical schools offering associate degrees in cosmetology and web design to doctorates in theoretical physics from Ivy League schools.

I already cited the pew for the gender break down of atheists.

For the claim that woman hold 60% of college degrees, I took it from here:

"FORTUNE — The facts are plain, if puzzling: Not only do women enter college at higher rates than men, but they’re less likely to drop out once they get there. Female grads now account for about 60% of U.S. bachelor’s degree holders."

http://fortune.com/2013/03/27/boys-vs-gi...ender-gap/

You know, just posting the article that doesn't have the answers I'm looking for again doesn't actually help, right?

That being said, the article draws from a study that suggests that the wage gap is the leading cause for women to stick out college, as their college drop-out entry level wages are significantly ($6,500) lower then men. So while it doesn't have information that would answer my questions, it doesn't need to. Atheism or religiosity doesn't seem to be the motivating factor here, economics are.

You quite clearly didn't read beyond the headline blurb. So, do you even read your own shit?

[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
31-03-2016, 08:11 AM
(31-03-2016 07:55 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  Questions important to a general insight into the psychology of atheists.

We like shit that's verifiable? We don't like fairy tales?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post
31-03-2016, 08:13 AM
(31-03-2016 07:47 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(31-03-2016 07:22 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  Women tend to make up a higher portion of college grads, holding 60% of college degrees, yet only 32% of atheists are female.

The 60% was in regards to bachelors degrees, so associates, technical school certificates can be ruled out.

And it would interest me to see what the breakdown of the type of degrees atheists tend to have, and I wouldn't be surprised if they're disproportionally drawn to science, computer science, engineering degrees, more so than females, or the general college educated population. Folks on the autistic spectrum seems to be drawn to that direction as well.

I'm not sure if that breakdown is available or not. But I would believe our expectations of what the results would be of that breakdown, are likely very similar.

31-03-2016, 08:15 AM
(31-03-2016 08:10 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  You know, just posting the article that doesn't have the answers I'm looking for again doesn't actually help, right?

That being said, the article draws from a study that suggests that the wage gap is the leading cause for women to stick out college, as their college drop-out entry level wages are significantly ($6,500) lower then men. So while it doesn't have information that would answer my questions, it doesn't need to. Atheism or religiosity doesn't seem to be the motivating factor here, economics are.

You quite clearly didn't read beyond the headline blurb. So, do you even read your own shit?

And you clearly like to attribute claims to me that I neither made or implied. I never claimed or implied that religiosity or atheism was a motivating factor for females to obtain college degrees.

31-03-2016, 08:19 AM
(31-03-2016 08:15 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(31-03-2016 08:10 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  You know, just posting the article that doesn't have the answers I'm looking for again doesn't actually help, right?

And you clearly like to attribute claims to me that I neither made or implied. I never claimed or implied that religiosity or atheism was a motivating factor for females to obtain college degrees.

Once again, do you even read the shit you post?

(31-03-2016 07:27 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  Why do you believe that position resonates more so with white males, than let's say females?

(31-03-2016 07:22 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(31-03-2016 07:11 AM)morondog Wrote:  ^^ Funny old thing. Compare that with access to education and.. ?

Women tend to make up a higher portion of college grads, holding 60% of college degrees, yet only 32% of atheists are female.

Not implied my ass.