The Psychology of Atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-03-2016, 08:32 AM
RE: The Psychology of Atheism
(31-03-2016 08:19 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(31-03-2016 08:15 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  And you clearly like to attribute claims to me that I neither made or implied. I never claimed or implied that religiosity or atheism was a motivating factor for females to obtain college degrees.

Once again, do you even read the shit you post?

(31-03-2016 07:27 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  Why do you believe that position resonates more so with white males, than let's say females?

(31-03-2016 07:22 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  Women tend to make up a higher portion of college grads, holding 60% of college degrees, yet only 32% of atheists are female.

Not implied my ass.

Yes, you pointed out that it was a response to what morondog wrote, since you seem to know something here about why I stated that, more so than I do, why did I point that out? Why did I mention the percentage of college graduates that are female?

Come on tell me.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-03-2016, 08:32 AM
(31-03-2016 08:13 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(31-03-2016 07:47 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  One, I'd love to see the source for that number, so that I could take a closer look at the data. Maybe it's because males tend to more heavily populate fields and degrees that have a greater benefit from science and critical thought as opposed to fields where women make up the majority? 'College graduates' covers a huge swath of education levels, from community colleges and technical schools offering associate degrees in cosmetology and web design to doctorates in theoretical physics from Ivy League schools.

The 60% was in regards to bachelors degrees, so associates, technical school certificates can be ruled out.

And it would interest me to see what the breakdown of the type of degrees atheists tend to have, and I wouldn't be surprised if they're disproportionally drawn to science, computer science, engineering degrees, more so than females, or the general college educated population. Folks on the autistic spectrum seems to be drawn to that direction as well.

I'm not sure if that breakdown is available or not. But I would believe our expectations of what the results would be of that breakdown, are likely very similar.

Oh, so you're the one who is stigmatizing vocational schools. I was wondering where that idea that people were doing that comes from. I guess my realm or knowing groups of people never went to the point of disassociating them as equal experience of a different angle.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
31-03-2016, 08:37 AM (This post was last modified: 31-03-2016 08:41 AM by ClydeLee.)
(31-03-2016 07:19 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(31-03-2016 07:11 AM)morondog Wrote:  ^^ Funny old thing. Compare that with access to education and.. ?

How old were you, when you became an atheist?

Depends on how you look at it. Could range from saying negative 2,332,453 years, -10months, -4months, 0, 2, 8, 16? Or is this an autistic like range of viewing the question, I don't know one way or another there.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
31-03-2016, 08:50 AM
(31-03-2016 08:03 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(31-03-2016 08:01 AM)god has no twitter account Wrote:  "drawn to" NOT "draw too" Facepalm

I corrected it, so you're less offended.

It's less being offended, more frustration about you being ridiculous.

31-03-2016, 08:53 AM
(31-03-2016 07:19 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(31-03-2016 07:11 AM)morondog Wrote:  ^^ Funny old thing. Compare that with access to education and.. ?

How old were you, when you became an atheist?

Early 20s when I finally chucked religion completely. Why?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
31-03-2016, 08:54 AM
(31-03-2016 08:53 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(31-03-2016 07:19 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  How old were you, when you became an atheist?

Cause atheism is just a phase young people go through or something.

31-03-2016, 08:56 AM
(31-03-2016 07:19 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  How old were you, when you became an atheist?

Just wondering if you personally became an atheist prior to obtaining a college degree or not.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
31-03-2016, 08:58 AM
(31-03-2016 07:27 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  Why do you believe that position resonates more so with white males, than let's say females?

No short answers so here is a book that includes case studies on the subject.

https://books.google.com/books?hl=en&lr=...er&f=false

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
31-03-2016, 09:00 AM
(31-03-2016 07:27 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(31-03-2016 07:15 AM)Chas Wrote:  That would be informed and accurate.

No theist here, yourself included, has ever made that statement.

There is nothing more than that. All of your rhetoric about atheists amounts to nothing more than a bucket of warm spit.

Why do you believe that position resonates more so with white males, than let's say females?

Why do you believe it resonates seemingly more so with individuals on the autistic spectrum than others?

"Why do you believe that position resonates more so with white males, than let's say females? "

Who here said that they believe that?

You seem to draw this asinine presumption about us from the Pew study without recognizing that an observation of what is happening, does not tell you a damn thing about why. Or to put it another way, correlation is not causation. I suspect that the atheism doesn't resonate with white males more than any other gender or race or ethnicity (and that Pew poll would only be for the US. Plenty of atheists around the world who aren't white males).

This would be akin to you making some moronic comment about how black people must really like to commit crimes since they make up a disproportionate amount of the US prison population. Or how men must like crime more because there are more incarcerated males than females in the US. Or how US citizens must like to commit crime a whole hell of a lot more than the rest of the world because we have the largest prison population.

There are so many other factors that you explicitly ignore because you are convinced that you know more about atheism than an atheist. Ignorance parading as knowledge from you, yet again.

Consider these underlying factors:
Social stigmas
Socioeconomic status
Access to education
The difference between the message of indoctrination pitched to women vs men (submit you vile woman because you dare to have a vagina!)

You won't consider those factors but I'm writing mostly just to point out your stupidity to other people here.

"Why do you believe it resonates seemingly more so with individuals on the autistic spectrum than others?"

Once again, you assume causation instead of correlation and have exactly 0 evidence to support this asinine assumption.

But let's assume this one is tentatively causally linked. Perhaps it has something to do with a lot of autistic people being overly logical. Perhaps the bullshit emotional arguments simply don't work on them that religion pitches?

Or...there is no causal connection and you've pulled yet another round of ignorant bullshit from your ass. Drinking Beverage

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
31-03-2016, 09:00 AM

Because you were clearly just indoctrinated by your college professors! Hobo

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick