The Psychology of Atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-03-2016, 09:03 AM
RE: The Psychology of Atheism
(31-03-2016 02:18 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Correlation rather than causality, I suspect.

But as an autistic-traits male ... sample size of one ... there might be a grain of truth. The tendency to see and hear things literally can equate to an inflexibility of the imagination.

So, to close the syllogism ... gods and goddesses are of the imagination.

No problem with that.

Big Grin

I would not be at all surprised that people who are less aware of emotional interactions tend to concentrate more on demonstrable facts and skew more atheist than the general population. It wouldn't affect the truth of the claims either way though.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like unfogged's post
31-03-2016, 09:10 AM
(31-03-2016 09:00 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(31-03-2016 08:53 AM)morondog Wrote:  Early 20s when I finally chucked religion completely. Why?

Because you were clearly just indoctrinated by your college professors! Hobo

I sat next to an evil college professor on a plane and my faith was not strong Weeping

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post
31-03-2016, 09:11 AM
All the statistics about atheists are terribly flawed because the vast majority of atheists do not ever identify as such. Most atheists are in the closet.

This site has a pretty broad representation of people. All walks of life, all genders, colors, ages educational background and what have you.

It would be quite interesting to have an ongoing series of polls here, looking at the distribution of our attributes.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 4 users Like Dom's post
31-03-2016, 09:27 AM (This post was last modified: 31-03-2016 09:31 AM by Tomasia.)
(31-03-2016 09:00 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(31-03-2016 07:27 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  Why do you believe that position resonates more so with white males, than let's say females?

Why do you believe it resonates seemingly more so with individuals on the autistic spectrum than others?

"Why do you believe that position resonates more so with white males, than let's say females? "

Who here said that they believe that?

You seem to draw this asinine presumption about us from the Pew study without recognizing that an observation of what is happening, does not tell you a damn thing about why. Or to put it another way, correlation is not causation. I suspect that the atheism doesn't resonate with white males more than any other gender or race or ethnicity (and that Pew poll would only be for the US. Plenty of atheists around the world who aren't white males).

This would be akin to you making some moronic comment about how black people must really like to commit crimes since they make up a disproportionate amount of the US prison population. Or how men must like crime more because there are more incarcerated males than females in the US. Or how US citizens must like to commit crime a whole hell of a lot more than the rest of the world because we have the largest prison population.

There are so many other factors that you explicitly ignore because you are convinced that you know more about atheism than an atheist. Ignorance parading as knowledge from you, yet again.

Consider these underlying factors:
Social stigmas
Socioeconomic status
Access to education
The difference between the message of indoctrination pitched to women vs men (submit you vile woman because you dare to have a vagina!)

You won't consider those factors but I'm writing mostly just to point out your stupidity to other people here.

When it comes to the disproportionate amount of african american in prisons, there's been a considerable amount of effort devoted to explaining why that is, even though there are plenty of non-blacks in prison. It's often accounted for, by pointing to a variety of factors unique to the group, including social and institutional biases that contribute here all.

If you believe that the reasons for these disparities when it comes to self-idenitying atheists, have a great deal to with socioeconomic factors, access to education, social stigmas, I would like to hear you expand on their contributions here.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
[+] 1 user Likes Tomasia's post
31-03-2016, 09:28 AM
(31-03-2016 09:11 AM)Dom Wrote:  All the statistics about atheists are terribly flawed because the vast majority of atheists do not ever identify as such. Most atheists are in the closet.

This site has a pretty broad representation of people. All walks of life, all genders, colors, ages educational background and what have you.

It would be quite interesting to have an ongoing series of polls here, looking at the distribution of our attributes.

That does make valid allowances to then change the nature of the questioning to, if it is that more white college degree having males are acknowledged as atheists. Why are these folks more openly atheist than other people?

as for myself, I still don't have my bachelors degree so ha, I don't count.. Shy

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
31-03-2016, 09:30 AM
Here's what the Pew Research centre said in the document entitled 7 facts about atheists:

Estimating the number of atheists in the U.S. is complicated. Some adults who describe themselves as atheists also say they believe in God or a universal spirit. At the same time, some people who identify with a religion (e.g., say they are Protestant, Catholic or Jewish) also say they do not believe in God.

So, we have Atheists who believe in god. Are you kidding me?

Is it me?

Marburg virus, Ebola, Rabies, HIV, Smallpox, Hantavirus, Dengue Fever all brought to you by god - who cares for us and loves us all Censored
31-03-2016, 09:35 AM
(31-03-2016 07:07 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(31-03-2016 07:02 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Prove it. If your opinions are "informed" share with us the data that "informed" you.
Here's the Pew as a source of what I previously stated about gender and racial components:

"Atheists, in general, are more likely to be male and younger than the overall population; 68% are men, and the median age of atheist adults in the U.S. is 34 (compared with 46 for all U.S. adults). Atheists also are more likely to be white (78% are Caucasian vs. 66% for the general public)..."

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/201...-atheists/
More assumptions about people you do not know.

Of course, you just happened to have left out a few things :
"Estimating the number of atheists in the U.S. is complicated. Some adults who describe themselves as atheists also say they believe in God or a universal spirit. At the same time, some people who identify with a religion (e.g., say they are Protestant, Catholic or Jewish) also say they do not believe in God.

But one thing is for sure: Along with the rise of religiously unaffiliated Americans (many of whom believe in God), there has been a corresponding increase in the number of atheists. Here are a few facts about this group and their beliefs:

1The share of Americans who identify as atheists has roughly doubled in the past several years. Pew Research Center’s 2014 Religious Landscape Study found that 3.1% of American adults say they are atheists when asked about their religious identity, up from 1.6% in a similarly large survey in 2007. An additional 4.0% of Americans call themselves agnostics, up from 2.4% in 2007.

2Atheists, in general, are more likely to be male and younger than the overall population; 68% are men, and the median age of atheist adults in the U.S. is 34 (compared with 46 for all U.S. adults). Atheists also are more likely to be white (78% are Caucasian vs. 66% for the general public) and highly educated: About four-in-ten atheists (43%) have a college degree, compared with 27% of the general public.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
31-03-2016, 09:38 AM
(31-03-2016 09:11 AM)Dom Wrote:  All the statistics about atheists are terribly flawed because the vast majority of atheists do not ever identify as such. Most atheists are in the closet.

Most atheists are in the closet about identifying themselves as atheists in pew surveys?

I think there are many who others here might label as an atheist, who don't identify as an atheists themselves. I've read some articles recently annoyed that Bernie Sanders refuses to identify himself in such way.

But still even so, at best we'd have a general profile of those who self-identify as atheists, while not saying much about the nones.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
31-03-2016, 09:38 AM
(31-03-2016 09:27 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(31-03-2016 09:00 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  "Why do you believe that position resonates more so with white males, than let's say females? "

Who here said that they believe that?

You seem to draw this asinine presumption about us from the Pew study without recognizing that an observation of what is happening, does not tell you a damn thing about why. Or to put it another way, correlation is not causation. I suspect that the atheism doesn't resonate with white males more than any other gender or race or ethnicity (and that Pew poll would only be for the US. Plenty of atheists around the world who aren't white males).

This would be akin to you making some moronic comment about how black people must really like to commit crimes since they make up a disproportionate amount of the US prison population. Or how men must like crime more because there are more incarcerated males than females in the US. Or how US citizens must like to commit crime a whole hell of a lot more than the rest of the world because we have the largest prison population.

There are so many other factors that you explicitly ignore because you are convinced that you know more about atheism than an atheist. Ignorance parading as knowledge from you, yet again.

Consider these underlying factors:
Social stigmas
Socioeconomic status
Access to education
The difference between the message of indoctrination pitched to women vs men (submit you vile woman because you dare to have a vagina!)

You won't consider those factors but I'm writing mostly just to point out your stupidity to other people here.

When it comes to the disproportionate amount of african american in prisons, there's been a considerable amount of effort devoted to explaining why that is, even though there are plenty of non-blacks in prison. It's often accounted for, by pointing to a variety of factors unique to the group, including social and institutional biases that contribute here all.

If you believe that the reasons for these disparities when it comes to self-idenitying atheists, have a great deal to with socioeconomic factors, access to education, social stigmas, I would like to hear you expand on their contributions here.

We are still waiting on you to meet your burden of proof for explaining:
1) why the causation exists in the first place among white males
2) which of us ever actually said it was true and that we believed the causation existed

We will wait. Drinking Beverage

I am pointing out to you, yet again, that your bullshit assertions, yet again, are completely baseless and are instead a failing of your ignorant assumptions and presumptions. Your ignorance parades about as knowledge...yet again.

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
31-03-2016, 09:42 AM
(31-03-2016 09:35 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(31-03-2016 07:07 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  

Of course, you just happened to have left out a few things :
"Estimating the number of atheists in the U.S. is complicated. Some adults who describe themselves as atheists also say they believe in God or a universal spirit. At the same time, some people who identify with a religion (e.g., say they are Protestant, Catholic or Jewish) also say they do not believe in God.

But one thing is for sure: Along with the rise of religiously unaffiliated Americans (many of whom believe in God), there has been a corresponding increase in the number of atheists. Here are a few facts about this group and their beliefs:

1The share of Americans who identify as atheists has roughly doubled in the past several years. Pew Research Center’s 2014 Religious Landscape Study found that 3.1% of American adults say they are atheists when asked about their religious identity, up from 1.6% in a similarly large survey in 2007. An additional 4.0% of Americans call themselves agnostics, up from 2.4% in 2007.

2Atheists, in general, are more likely to be male and younger than the overall population; 68% are men, and the median age of atheist adults in the U.S. is 34 (compared with 46 for all U.S. adults). Atheists also are more likely to be white (78% are Caucasian vs. 66% for the general public) and highly educated: About four-in-ten atheists (43%) have a college degree, compared with 27% of the general public.

As Bucky pointed out and I will repoint out:
Atheists also are more likely to be white (78% are Caucasian vs. 66% for the general public) and highly educated: About four-in-ten atheists (43%) have a college degree, compared with 27% of the general public.

Want to bet that the majority of college degree earners over the last few decades in the US are dominantly white?
https://nces.ed.gov/fastfacts/display.asp?id=72

This is why your bullshit of taking it face value that:
1) the atheist idea resonates more strongly with white males is bullshit
2) we believed that, as you implied when it is really your bullshit belief you assigned to us. Laugh out load

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick