The Psychology of Atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-03-2016, 10:39 AM
RE: The Psychology of Atheism
(31-03-2016 09:49 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(31-03-2016 09:38 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  We are still waiting on you to meet your burden of proof for explaining:
1) why the causation exists in the first place among white males
2) which of us ever actually said it was true and that we believed the causation existed

We will wait. Drinking Beverage

I am pointing out to you, yet again, that your bullshit assertions, yet again, are completely baseless and are instead a failing of your ignorant assumptions and presumptions. Your ignorance parades about as knowledge...yet again.

What did I assert again here?

As I recall I primarily asked a series of question, to hear what the take of individuals here would be, while refraining from making assertions myself. I didn't really say anything as to why atheists tend to be more male than female, or tend to be more white than non-white, but primarily asked others why they believe that is.

"Why do you believe that position resonates more so with white males, than let's say females?

Why do you believe it resonates seemingly more so with individuals on the autistic spectrum than others?"

Your questions asserting that we believe something that we don't, but that you do.

Polls are observations and have exactly 0 indication as to why the observation is the way that it is.

"And they're also dominantly more female than male. Yet the inverse is true when it comes to self-identyfing atheists."

Almost as if there are no good generalizations to make about a group that tends to have no defining characteristics because its composition isn't as narrow as you assert.

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-03-2016, 10:49 AM
(31-03-2016 09:38 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(31-03-2016 09:11 AM)Dom Wrote:  All the statistics about atheists are terribly flawed because the vast majority of atheists do not ever identify as such. Most atheists are in the closet.

Most atheists are in the closet about identifying themselves as atheists in pew surveys?

I think there are many who others here might label as an atheist, who don't identify as an atheists themselves. I've read some articles recently annoyed that Bernie Sanders refuses to identify himself in such way.

But still even so, at best we'd have a general profile of those who self-identify as atheists, while not saying much about the nones.

I was atheist since I was 10, and I knew then I didn't believe any of these stories in the bible.

I ALWAYS put Catholic in any form. Then I'd forget about it. My life did in no way center on religion or atheism. I didn't self identify as atheist until I was 60. And if it hadn't been for one particular experience, I might never have.

I am female, by the way.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
31-03-2016, 11:10 AM
A few things come to mind.
This sounds like it's an argument from incredulity mixed with ad hominem. That's why I really don't want to waste my time with this article.
What was his sample size? Was there a control group?
Were any atheists interviewed for this "study"?
From what source did he base his spectrum? Or did he just assume he knew the spectrum?

More things:
I realized my atheism after I taught college courses. So no one can really call my intelligence or age into question on this.
If the author is so obsessed with why atheists think that way, has he ever researched why theists are willing to accept blindly these claims?

As for why there are more white atheists in the USA as compared to black atheists: Am I the only one who has listened to and talked to black atheists? Generally in the USA, those of African heritage live in a culture where their religion is deeply embedded. They find it harder to admit it. Often a black atheist is accused of "trying to be white" when they question anything in religion. Don't believe me? Check out YouTube or blogs. Or--I know this sounds insane--actually talk to a black atheist. So it's not simply "oh, that's a white male thing." Black atheists find it harder because of their own culture.
31-03-2016, 11:38 AM (This post was last modified: 31-03-2016 11:41 AM by Tomasia.)
(31-03-2016 11:10 AM)Clockwork Wrote:  As for why there are more white atheists in the USA as compared to black atheists: Am I the only one who has listened to and talked to black atheists? Generally in the USA, those of African heritage live in a culture where their religion is deeply embedded. They find it harder to admit it. Often a black atheist is accused of "trying to be white" when they question anything in religion. Don't believe me? Check out YouTube or blogs. Or--I know this sounds insane--actually talk to a black atheist. So it's not simply "oh, that's a white male thing." Black atheists find it harder because of their own culture.

I'd agree, that much of why blacks are the least likely ethnic group to identify as atheists, is that the culture is so deeply embedded with its own unique Christian identity, separate from white christian identity. With it's own form of christian expression, spirituals, revered figures who tended to also be ministers, such as Rev. King. They've taken on a language and culture deeply embedded with Christian imagery and influence, that being black and being christian appears almost inseparable. It's not a coincidence that the first black president, is one that often can sound like a preacher.

Take one of our most praised black rappers of our time, Kendrick Lamar, a rapper who sees himself as closest thing to a preacher than many of the kids that listen to him get, and whose music has no qualms in speaking of God. When the field of black atheists that black folks can identify with are non-existent, dominated by white faces, then it not entirely a mystery why Atheism has failed to find an appeal, or seen as a white thing.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
31-03-2016, 01:34 PM
(31-03-2016 08:56 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(31-03-2016 08:53 AM)morondog Wrote:  Early 20s when I finally chucked religion completely. Why?

Just wondering if you personally became an atheist prior to obtaining a college degree or not.

I decided I was an atheist the same year I got my undergrad degree. So yeah, probably technically before. Relevance?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
31-03-2016, 02:53 PM
I think I need a god helmet. Angel
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/books...brain.html

http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.10...0701469681

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
31-03-2016, 03:45 PM
I could swear I posted something, but I don't see it? Am I losing it? or did I hit the wrong button?

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
31-03-2016, 04:53 PM
(31-03-2016 09:10 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(31-03-2016 09:00 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Because you were clearly just indoctrinated by your college professors! Hobo

I sat next to an evil college professor on a plane and my faith was not strong Weeping

For me it was my atheist philosophy professor at an undisclosed ivy league school.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 2 users Like The Organic Chemist's post
31-03-2016, 04:56 PM
............. dafuq i'm thinking

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
31-03-2016, 05:45 PM
(31-03-2016 10:19 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(31-03-2016 06:13 AM)Chas Wrote:  I have yet to hear a reasoned or informed opinion from a theist regarding atheists or atheism. Drinking Beverage

I dunno. Deidre here certainly has given me a fair shake.

I will check out her posts. Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user