The Psychology of Atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-04-2016, 10:53 PM
RE: The Psychology of Atheism
(31-03-2016 02:18 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Correlation rather than causality, I suspect.

But as an autistic-traits male ... sample size of one ... there might be a grain of truth. The tendency to see and hear things literally can equate to an inflexibility of the imagination.

So, to close the syllogism ... gods and goddesses are of the imagination.

No problem with that.

Big Grin

I found your reply witty and spot on. I humbly add to it with the words of the great Richard Dawkins:

“After sleeping through a hundred million centuries we have finally opened our eyes on a sumptuous planet, sparkling with color, bountiful with life. Within decades we must close our eyes again. Isn’t it a noble, an enlightened way of spending our brief time in the sun, to work at understanding the universe and how we have come to wake up in it? This is how I answer when I am asked—as I am surprisingly often—why I bother to get up in the mornings.”
― Richard Dawkins
[/b]

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

“Don't believe anything you read on the net. Except this. Well, including this, I suppose.” --Douglas Adams
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like Atheism=truth's post
23-04-2016, 01:33 PM
(01-04-2016 09:40 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:  
Quote:conventions held in its name

In the name of what or whom?
Please elaborate, preferably pointing at something/body i can google.

http://reasonrally.org/
[+] 1 user Likes Matt Finney's post
23-04-2016, 01:36 PM
(31-03-2016 10:39 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(31-03-2016 09:49 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  What did I assert again here?

As I recall I primarily asked a series of question, to hear what the take of individuals here would be, while refraining from making assertions myself. I didn't really say anything as to why atheists tend to be more male than female, or tend to be more white than non-white, but primarily asked others why they believe that is.

"Why do you believe that position resonates more so with white males, than let's say females?

Why do you believe it resonates seemingly more so with individuals on the autistic spectrum than others?"

Your questions asserting that we believe something that we don't, but that you do.

Polls are observations and have exactly 0 indication as to why the observation is the way that it is.

"And they're also dominantly more female than male. Yet the inverse is true when it comes to self-identyfing atheists."

Almost as if there are no good generalizations to make about a group that tends to have no defining characteristics because its composition isn't as narrow as you assert.

TBD you're making yourself look kind of silly here. Tomasia is asking why you think the polls are what they are? He's just asking for your thoughts on the matter. It's just conversation, not accusation. You need to chill a little and perhaps think before you post.
23-04-2016, 02:12 PM
(23-04-2016 01:33 PM)Matt Finney Wrote:  
(01-04-2016 09:40 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:  In the name of what or whom?

Wow, a convention about reason and critical thinking! Thanks for the link. Ill check out various speeches for sure. (Oh, shit, "Q" is there Weeping )

Anybody wanna discuss the speeches later in June? Im quite sure we have some people here who are sceptical of reason and critical thinking. Would be great to exchange some arguments with you guys, whoever you are going to be.

Anybody got the link for the Atheismrally too?

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
23-04-2016, 03:00 PM
(23-04-2016 01:33 PM)Matt Finney Wrote:  
(01-04-2016 09:40 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:  In the name of what or whom?

That is not an atheism convention. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
23-04-2016, 03:07 PM
(23-04-2016 03:00 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(23-04-2016 01:33 PM)Matt Finney Wrote:  http://reasonrally.org/

Yes it is. Drinking Beverage
23-04-2016, 03:10 PM
(23-04-2016 03:00 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(23-04-2016 01:33 PM)Matt Finney Wrote:  http://reasonrally.org/

"Not only are we celebrating our secular, atheist, agnostic, humanist, freethinking, and nonreligious identities,"

You're not really that stupid are you?
23-04-2016, 03:40 PM
(31-03-2016 02:06 AM)jakedanger Wrote:  Any comments on an idea I heard recently? The speaker, a Christian, was attempting to explain who so many scientists are atheists and why atheists tend to be male. His reasoning was that scientists as a group, and males as a group, tend to be higher on the autism spectrum than the general population, and that people on the autism spectrum have trouble assigning intelligent agency to their observations.
Of course, I would tend to ask the question the other way around.
Why are women and non scientists more likely to believe in things without supporting evidence?

The answer for scientists is possibly because they are taught the importance of supporting evidence. They are taught how deductions can be false and due to personal assumptions, beliefs and wants. They are taught methods to overcome personal bias and to look for objectivity and conclusions based on objective evidence.

For women, well, I think we might as well ask, why do women tend to steer away from science?
Personally I think many women are more into social interaction, emotions, anecdotal stories and less interested in cold hard fact.

There are always exceptions but we are looking at trends here.
[+] 1 user Likes Stevil's post
23-04-2016, 03:48 PM
(23-04-2016 03:40 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(31-03-2016 02:06 AM)jakedanger Wrote:  Any comments on an idea I heard recently? The speaker, a Christian, was attempting to explain who so many scientists are atheists and why atheists tend to be male. His reasoning was that scientists as a group, and males as a group, tend to be higher on the autism spectrum than the general population, and that people on the autism spectrum have trouble assigning intelligent agency to their observations.
Of course, I would tend to ask the question the other way around.
Why are women and non scientists more likely to believe in things without supporting evidence?

The answer for scientists is possibly because they are taught the importance of supporting evidence. They are taught how deductions can be false and due to personal assumptions, beliefs and wants. They are taught methods to overcome personal bias and to look for objectivity and conclusions based on objective evidence.

For women, well, I think we might as well ask, why do women tend to steer away from science?
Personally I think many women are more into social interaction, emotions, anecdotal stories and less interested in cold hard fact.

There are always exceptions but we are looking at trends here.

Misogynist!!! Tongue J/K Big Grin Cool
[+] 1 user Likes Matt Finney's post
23-04-2016, 03:54 PM
(31-03-2016 03:56 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  I had a "syllogism" once, but when to the doctor and got a shot for it, then it cleared up.

We're not interested in your sex life. Gasp

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.