RE: The Puerto Rico disaster
https://secure3.convio.net/mi/site/Donat...tion=form1

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: parodia-michal-aniol-flying-spaghetti-monster.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-09-2017, 07:59 PM
Puerto Rico is partly screwed because they are the 3rd one. People gave for Houston. People then dug deep and gave for Florida. I think there is giving fatigue. Most people only have so much money with which to donate. And, a lot of organizations that focus on helping with these disasters blew a lot of what they had on the first 2. So, I think that is a contributing factor here. My wife and I made a decent donation for Houston, we sort of skipped Florida and we gave some for PR. It's possible there can be more hurricanes this year. I hope not I'm getting tapped out.

And, I've only contributed to the ones where US citizens have been impacted. People in Mexico (both the hurricanes and the earthquake) and a lot of the Caribbean are in dire need of help.

It's a damn good thing global warming is a myth. Imagine how fucked everyone would be if it was real.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
[+] 1 user Likes BnW's post
28-09-2017, 08:06 PM
I don't think Trump knew it was a US Territory and its inhabitants citizens.

#sigh
[+] 5 users Like GirlyMan's post
28-09-2017, 08:06 PM
That would put him in the company of over 50% of the American public, per some recent polls I saw.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
[+] 5 users Like BnW's post
29-09-2017, 02:23 AM
(28-09-2017 03:23 PM)Dom Wrote:  Ok, things need to be shipped. But why does it take a week to overturn an ancient shipping law to allow aid to progress more smoothly?

There is a medical crisis going on, people have no meds, hospitals are out of gas for generators, people are starving and thirsty.

WTF? Puerto Rico is US territory. Why aren't we dropping supplies? Where is the freaking military? The Puerto Ricans have no drivers because they don't have the gas to come to work. Hence what supplies there are, are stuck in the port. They need people to clear the roads, too.

What the actual fuck?

Well, there are people like DJT who are all after fame and $, and more fame, who love to bitch about respecting ones flag an shit, who cant even pass a healthcare reform, even with a numerical majority in parliament

and there are people like this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Sea_flood_of_1962

Quote:Helmut Schmidt, police senator of Hamburg, coordinated the rescue operations, and requested for emergency help throughout Europe. He requested parts of the Bundeswehr for emergency purposes, especially engineers. That meant overstepping his legal authority, ignoring the German constitution's prohibition on using the army for "internal affairs" - a clause excluding disasters was not added until 1968. Also he got help by helicopters from other NATO states. The latter were called Fliegende Engel (Flying Angels) by the people.

There are times one should respect your constitution, and there are other times, ya know, its all about priorities. Big Grin

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
[+] 1 user Likes Deesse23's post
29-09-2017, 02:33 AM
(29-09-2017 02:23 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:  
(28-09-2017 03:23 PM)Dom Wrote:  Ok, things need to be shipped. But why does it take a week to overturn an ancient shipping law to allow aid to progress more smoothly?

There is a medical crisis going on, people have no meds, hospitals are out of gas for generators, people are starving and thirsty.

WTF? Puerto Rico is US territory. Why aren't we dropping supplies? Where is the freaking military? The Puerto Ricans have no drivers because they don't have the gas to come to work. Hence what supplies there are, are stuck in the port. They need people to clear the roads, too.

What the actual fuck?

Well, there are people like DJT who are all after fame and $, and more fame, who love to bitch about respecting ones flag an shit, who cant even pass a healthcare reform, even with a numerical majority in parliament

and there are people like this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Sea_flood_of_1962

Quote:Helmut Schmidt, police senator of Hamburg, coordinated the rescue operations, and requested for emergency help throughout Europe. He requested parts of the Bundeswehr for emergency purposes, especially engineers. That meant overstepping his legal authority, ignoring the German constitution's prohibition on using the army for "internal affairs" - a clause excluding disasters was not added until 1968. Also he got help by helicopters from other NATO states. The latter were called Fliegende Engel (Flying Angels) by the people.

There are times one should respect your constitution, and there are other times, ya know, its all about priorities. Big Grin

There's a class of person... people who get the job done. And they'll do it however the fuck they need to, with whatever resources are handy. I've known a few such. And then there's another class of person, people who can't do the simplest goddamn thing, because Form IIIA is incorrectly stamped. I've known waaaay too many of the latter.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
29-09-2017, 06:21 AM
To be really fair, it' s not like they can load up a bunch of trucks and drive there.

Fly in??

Sure, if you have a clear runway, a aircraft control system and navigational equipment and refueling equipment ( planes have to leave too) all operational.

But, they don't.

The hurricane missed the "No Storms Allowed" signs they had posted.

By boat???

Sure, you just need a working port that' s not plugged by storm sunken vessels, and a working waterfront with electricity to operate the offloading gantries, refrigeration equipment, ect, ect....

See the difference yet???

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
29-09-2017, 06:30 AM
Amphibious ships don't have most of those problems. They don't even need ports. But the Navy has to have orders.

They need hospitals? The LHDs have medical suites intended to handle mass casualties from amphibious assaults.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
29-09-2017, 06:42 AM
CNN has a report that the container port manager at San Juan says they're filled to capacity with incoming supplies, but the infrastructure isn't capable of distributing all that stuff.

Story is a video on this page: http://money.cnn.com/2017/09/28/news/roy...index.html
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
29-09-2017, 06:46 AM
(29-09-2017 06:30 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  Amphibious ships don't have most of those problems. They don't even need ports. But the Navy has to have orders.

They need hospitals? The LHDs have medical suites intended to handle mass casualties from amphibious assaults.

They gotta get there first.

It' s not like they're anchored just offshore.

And a whole shitload of those landing craft and support vessels are in mothballs....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.