The Puerto Rico disaster

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-10-2017, 06:08 AM
RE: The Puerto Rico disaster
(30-09-2017 06:53 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(30-09-2017 07:17 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  And nobody on Puerto Rico knows how to drive??

Blink

An 18-wheeler loaded with 52,000 pounds of flammable fuel, over roads broken by catastrophe?

Let me know how that works out for you.

And let me know how sitting on your ass waiting for someone to save you works..

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-10-2017, 06:31 AM
While a preplanned response is too much to expect from this administration I would just like to say that the USN has operated in rough waters once or twice in the past few hundred years. And some of our captains are smart enough to stay out of the way of a hurricane and still get to a point where they're needed in 24-48 hours.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-10-2017, 03:37 PM
(01-10-2017 06:31 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  While a preplanned response is too much to expect from this administration I would just like to say that the USN has operated in rough waters once or twice in the past few hundred years. And some of our captains are smart enough to stay out of the way of a hurricane and still get to a point where they're needed in 24-48 hours.

Nobody's crystal ball ( well maybe the Monday morning quarterbacks) knows with any certainty when and where a storm is going to hit.

Plus - it costs money to have those ships underway... What's it going to cost and who is going to pay for them to be charging around the mid Atlantic, hoping to be in the right place at the right time???

And then if a ship DID get caught and sunk in a hurricane, we' D be hearing pissing and moaning about THAT loss....

Get your fortune telling working better and get back with us.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
01-10-2017, 05:08 PM
(30-09-2017 11:55 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Oh for fucks sake...

If you were in an emergency situation and they needed somebody to drive a truck - don't you think you'd figure it out???

I've only landed small single engine aircraft , but if I found myself in a 747 with no pilot - I sure as hell would give a go of landing the son of a bitch......

Yeah, you're missing the whole point. Most people, including anyone who can drive a truck or clear the roads, are just trying to live from day to day right now with a shortage of food, water, medical supplies, etc. They have lost their homes and have family members that they need to be helping right now. Plus, I frankly don't care if every single one of them who could drive a truck was actually doing so right now, it wouldn't excuse or even make up for the total lack of forethought and preparedness to deal with this castrophe that has been demonstrated by the Trump so-called administration. The Puerto Rican people need help!

Don't tell me Trump's doing a good job when his focus has been on other things like the NFL and/or insulting the mayor of San Juan. Puerto Rico was already weakened from Irma before Maria. Maria had also passed by September 21st. Maria was considerably out of the way by September 24th and it was safe to start delivering aid. With a proper plan, it should have been obvious that delivering supplies is pointless if the roads aren't clear and drivers aren't available to transport the supplies to where they are needed. So people and equipment should have been part of the initial aid, not just supplies. It's ridiculous that it took so long to get the military involved.

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
[+] 4 users Like Impulse's post
01-10-2017, 08:24 PM
(01-10-2017 03:37 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Nobody's crystal ball ( well maybe the Monday morning quarterbacks) knows with any certainty when and where a storm is going to hit.

Plus - it costs money to have those ships underway... What's it going to cost and who is going to pay for them to be charging around the mid Atlantic, hoping to be in the right place at the right time???

And then if a ship DID get caught and sunk in a hurricane, we' D be hearing pissing and moaning about THAT loss....

Seriously dude? They were talking about the storm a week before it hit.

I wonder how the good people of Florida or Texas would have felt if they had to wait 10 days before the US government said anything about them or offered any assistance? They only sent a handful of advance FEMA people. Really...10 fucking days.

Dodgy

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
02-10-2017, 05:54 AM
(01-10-2017 08:24 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(01-10-2017 03:37 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Nobody's crystal ball ( well maybe the Monday morning quarterbacks) knows with any certainty when and where a storm is going to hit.

I wonder how the good people of Florida or Texas would have felt if they had to wait 10 days before the US government said anything about them or offered any assistance? They only sent a handful of advance FEMA people. Really...10 fucking days.

Dodgy
Yeah - seriously...

The ability to DRIVE there really does make a difference.

02-10-2017, 06:01 AM
(01-10-2017 08:24 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  

Dodgy
You do know the USN had ships there well before that, right?
02-10-2017, 10:29 AM
Those ships were deployed mainly because they have hospital beds. While that's important too, it doesn't do squat for clearing roads and delivering supplies.

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
02-10-2017, 10:43 AM
Here are your naval ships.
Quote:But then Irma struck the Keys, spared Miami and spent itself bouncing up Florida’s west coast. And suddenly, the Kearsarge’s group was sailing alone into the Caribbean. It and its sister vessels headed to Dominica to evacuate that devastated island. Wasp stayed, peeled off to the U.S. Southern Command, as the rest of the group headed for Puerto Rico, arriving the day after Maria roared across it and the neighboring U.S. Virgin Islands. Kearsarge and Oak Hill were left to put a small advance party ashore in Puerto Rico to assess the situation the day after the storm and set up air traffic control. Helicopter search and rescue operations were launched and supplies were ferried ashore.

And everything else? Vanished.

[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post
02-10-2017, 10:43 AM
(02-10-2017 10:29 AM)Impulse Wrote:  Those ships were deployed mainly because they have hospital beds. While that's important too, it doesn't do squat for clearing roads and delivering supplies.

Odd that they didn't remember to bring SeaBees and equipment with them. It's kind of the protocol for USN disaster relief. But you're ex-Navy, right? You remember that, don't you? Drinking Beverage
[+] 1 user Likes Gawdzilla's post