The Purpose of Philosophy

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-11-2012, 02:33 PM
RE: The Purpose of Philosophy
(06-11-2012 02:12 PM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  
(06-11-2012 02:10 PM)Vera Wrote:  Hahahaha!

Though, to be fair, I can do most things single-handed Yes
Yep, that's the whole idea - when it's not single-handed, it's not masturbation anymore.

Single-handed in the sense of "using only one hand", silly.
Sorry, but anytime I see one of your posts, the only thing I can think of is https://www.facebook.com/pages/Whores-wi...8497660994

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-11-2012, 02:45 PM
On the subject of philosophy, thinking about you doing things single-handed (just one hand), got me thinking (after my mind crawled out of the gutter, the ever so blissful gutter), about what we can't do with just one hand.

See? I can do philosophy.

So what can't we do with only one hand? Oddly, almost everything I thought of, after a little consideration, I realized it can be done one-handed.

Clap.
Play Patty Cake.
Plug our ears (plugging only one just won't do).
Plug two holes in a dyke (as in, the little Dutch boy, not the naughty version).
Pat our head and rub our tummy at the same time (heck, I can't do that with two hands).
Masturbate and click the mouse at the same time.
Play drums (yeah, Def Leppard was never quite the same)
Brachiate.

Short list but now my head hurts.

Which leads me around to answering the OP's question. The purpose of philosophy is to make our heads hurt.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
[+] 1 user Likes Aseptic Skeptic's post
06-11-2012, 04:51 PM
RE: AW: The Purpose of Philosophy
(05-11-2012 08:01 AM)Vosur Wrote:  To have an easy way of getting a PhD. Drinking Beverage
There is nothing easy about philosophy, as distinct from philology.
Essentially, philosophy deals with speculating about highly abstract notions.
All of the stuff we utilize today had some direct or indirect link to philosophy.
When we become smug and look to the experts for answers we need to look
at what lies behind their accumulated wisdom. Smugness can lead to an unwarranted
sense of self assurance, whether political, social, mental or emotional.
Many philosophers,possibly most, are not religious, in any traditional sense.
Logic, a philosophical discipline, is vital to science in the rigorous considerations
of how hypotheses are formulated and presented.
Like it or not, good or bad, philosophy is entailed in the very fabric of our communication.
Socrates claimed that all he was aware of was his own ignorance and there is much beyond our
understanding in all fields of endeavour.
Many who rejoice in their own sense of tribalistic righteousness need to step back and take
a good hard look at their own ideologies, even if they don't realise they have one.

Our meanings,ensconced within dubious joys may well lead to eventual social miseries~~~~Murchovski
[+] 3 users Like Mr Woof's post
07-11-2012, 09:45 PM
To me, philosophy is a very personal thing, my study of what I believe and why I believe it. As far as the academics of it go, I'm inclined to agree with houseofcantor and call it mental masturbation. Case in point: Ayn Rand.

"I like theories you can test."
-- Sheldon Glashow

When in doubt, eat chocolate.
If doubt persists, have a hot fudge sundae.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-11-2012, 01:53 AM
(05-11-2012 08:17 AM)robotworld Wrote:  Some people claim that philosophy can answer questions science cannot, but I feel that no matter how grand their idea, or how seemingly logical, if they cannot back up their claims using hard evidence, there's no point talking about it.
Science can tell something about things which exist. Philosophy can tell something about things which dont exist.

Trolls are holy race. Eduard Khil is our god.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1PBptSDIh8
12-11-2012, 02:25 AM
(12-11-2012 01:53 AM)Troll Wrote:  
(05-11-2012 08:17 AM)robotworld Wrote:  Some people claim that philosophy can answer questions science cannot, but I feel that no matter how grand their idea, or how seemingly logical, if they cannot back up their claims using hard evidence, there's no point talking about it.
Science can tell something about things which exist. Philosophy can tell something about things which dont exist.
Hmm... are things that do not exist still things?

Welcome to science. You're gonna like it here - Phil Plait

Have you ever tried taking a comfort blanket away from a small child? - DLJ
12-11-2012, 02:34 AM
(12-11-2012 02:25 AM)robotworld Wrote:  
(12-11-2012 01:53 AM)Troll Wrote:  Science can tell something about things which exist. Philosophy can tell something about things which dont exist.
Hmm... are things that do not exist still things?
That s a typical example of philosophical question.

Trolls are holy race. Eduard Khil is our god.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1PBptSDIh8
[+] 1 user Likes Troll's post
12-11-2012, 03:30 AM
The Purpose of Philosophy...

Now that is a toughie... Without a doubt in my feeble little mind, I feel it did serve as a precursor of sorts to science, however, can it truly be said that it continues to have similar use? Certainly it can still manage to bring about interesting questions, but do those questions serve any true utility in today's world, aside from quizzical mind-benders?...

Like I say with all things I perceive as philosophical in nature; Philos-bull.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
14-05-2013, 10:11 PM
USELESS: (academic) (analytic) philosophy is useless atm. because it has been swallowed up by capitalism. on topics relating to "real life", you can easily find "inherently evil" theories and nothing else, what i mean is that phil. depts. are only trying to find better justifications for existing institutions and practices instead of questioning them.

USEFUL: it might be as good as religion for the irreligious Big Grin
15-05-2013, 07:59 AM
I think it depends on the branch of philosophy. Some is tremendously useful, others not. Logic and mathematics, yes! The word games of transcendental metaphysics... not so much unless you are a religious apologist.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 1 user Likes Hafnof's post