The Purpose of Philosophy

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-11-2012, 08:17 AM
RE: The Purpose of Philosophy
In my opinion, philosophy drives the thinking process, which is a good start to figure out various concepts, but it is useless if people stop there without backing up their ideas. At least science shows you the evidence behind the mechanisms of various natural phenomena after questioning. Some people claim that philosophy can answer questions science cannot, but I feel that no matter how grand their idea, or how seemingly logical, if they cannot back up their claims using hard evidence, there's no point talking about it.

Welcome to science. You're gonna like it here - Phil Plait

Have you ever tried taking a comfort blanket away from a small child? - DLJ
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes robotworld's post
05-11-2012, 08:44 AM
What is the purpose of robotworld? That is the question. Consider

[Image: 10289811_592837817482059_8815379025397103823_n.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
05-11-2012, 05:55 PM
"Philosophy is to be studied, not for the sake of any definite answers to its questions, since no definite answers can, as a rule, be known to be true, but rather for the sake of the questions themselves; because these questions enlarge our conception of what is possible, enrich our intellectual imagination and diminish the dogmatic assurance which closes the mind against speculation; but above all because, through the greatness of the universe which philosophy contemplates, the mind also is rendered great, and becomes capable of that union with the universe which constitutes its highest good."

― Bertrand Russell

To "diminish the dogmatic assurance which closes the mind against speculation", that's the important part today. That works toward eliminating the problem in my signature.

In general, it is a direct result of rationality and the use of rationality, toward the goal of gaining an understanding of our perceived reality. A posing an answering of questions, ideas, concepts; metaphysics: What is ______? Does ______ exist? What is _______ like? Categorizing of objects and concepts, like space and time, and the creation of metaphysical constructs, like logic, language, mathematics, morality, all to use to gain an even further understanding of our perceived physical reality.

And so on and so on......

The Paradox Of Fools And Wise Men:
“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.” ― Bertrand Russell
[+] 3 users Like TrulyX's post
05-11-2012, 08:53 PM
(04-11-2012 01:15 PM)Vera Wrote:  
(04-11-2012 01:14 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  I think it represents the love of Sofia.

It may actually be the study of the capital of Bulgaria.

You do realise I'm probably the only who got that, right? Laughat
No, I got it immediately. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-11-2012, 07:20 AM
(05-11-2012 08:53 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(04-11-2012 01:15 PM)Vera Wrote:  You do realise I'm probably the only who got that, right? Laughat

No, I got it immediately. Drinking Beverage
Well, we all knew that you are special. No, not in that sense. In the sense of all knowledgeable and erudite Smartass

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
06-11-2012, 01:52 PM (This post was last modified: 06-11-2012 02:05 PM by TrainWreck.)
(05-11-2012 07:09 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Philosophy was about the search for truth; now it's mostly mental masturbation. Thumbsup
Very, very close. Philosophy is the basis of ordering abstract systems, which subsequently classifies truth, which subsequently is very enlightening - the love of wisdom.

The problem is that the ordering of abstract systems was diverted by the Christian Church during the long period of time that they were in control of the schools. And since then, the atheists, who would most likely assume the guardianship of Western Philosophy, have failed to challenge the disorder of the discipline that the Church left.

The activity of a person, "philosophizing," is the activity of the person arranging abstract systems into an order that appears to be a "logical" system beneficial to social organization - follow my way of thinking and all will be good (mental masturbation).

Humanism - ontological doctrine that posits that humans define reality
Theism - ontological doctrine that posits a supernatural entity creates and defines reality
Atheism - political doctrine opposed to theist doctrine in public policy
I am right, and you are wrong - I hope you die peacefullyCool
06-11-2012, 02:01 PM
(05-11-2012 07:16 AM)Vera Wrote:  But you're right about the mental m... oh, I can't type that word...Wink

I'm just gonna assume it's because you didn't have two free hands?

Tongue

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
[+] 1 user Likes Aseptic Skeptic's post
06-11-2012, 02:10 PM
(06-11-2012 02:01 PM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  
(05-11-2012 07:16 AM)Vera Wrote:  But you're right about the mental m... oh, I can't type that word...Wink

I'm just gonna assume it's because you didn't have two free hands?

Tongue
Hahahaha!

Though, to be fair, I can do most things single-handed Yes

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
06-11-2012, 02:11 PM
(06-11-2012 01:52 PM)TrainWreck Wrote:  The activity of a person, "philosophizing," is the activity of the person arranging abstract systems into an order that appears to be a "logical" system beneficial to social organization - follow my way of thinking and all will be good (mental masturbation).

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]
06-11-2012, 02:12 PM
(06-11-2012 02:10 PM)Vera Wrote:  
(06-11-2012 02:01 PM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  I'm just gonna assume it's because you didn't have two free hands?

Tongue
Hahahaha!

Though, to be fair, I can do most things single-handed Yes
Yep, that's the whole idea - when it's not single-handed, it's not masturbation anymore.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Synthesis of Religious Philosophy Rinpoche 17 213 02-07-2014 08:09 PM
Last Post: Taqiyya Mockingbird
  Critique My Philosophy of Life? Philosofer123 48 1,548 18-02-2014 08:33 PM
Last Post: Chippy
  Semantic wars on Hemlock Island (or how I got banned from a philosophy forum) Luminon 15 509 21-01-2014 04:20 PM
Last Post: Luminon
  Philosophy book recommendations natachan 9 249 09-01-2014 07:17 AM
Last Post: Khare
  Can I get some opinions on a philosophy project? Penumbrae 5 350 20-11-2013 09:10 AM
Last Post: Penumbrae
  Is Quantum Mechanics a Science, Philosophy or Religion, or some new age mix of all 3? I and I 55 4,783 18-11-2013 11:25 AM
Last Post: brokensymmetry
  Beginners Philosophy Monster_Riffs 4 288 11-11-2013 06:56 PM
Last Post: Monster_Riffs