The Quadratic Model

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-07-2012, 09:34 AM
RE: The Quadratic Model
(17-07-2012 09:26 AM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  What would one be...

Smote. Big Grin

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
17-07-2012, 10:05 AM
The title really made me think HoC started this thread. I'm a little disappointed. There are really only 3 models in what Ghost presented us.

We need to to have a better understanding Set Theory and 4.

Got to around the 4 minute mark...Hm...coincidence? I think not.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
17-07-2012, 10:23 AM
Vid makes me feel like a fucking specimen. Angry

17-07-2012, 10:31 AM
You are.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
17-07-2012, 10:36 AM
WAAH! Sadcryface2 Sadcryface2 Sadcryface2 Sadcryface2

I'm tellin'! Weeping

17-07-2012, 10:48 AM
If Gnostic = I know God exists and Agnostic = I don't know God exists and Atheist = I don't believe, then a Gnostic Atheist knows God exists but doesn't believe in him.

If Theist = believer and Atheist = non-believer, then neutrality requires a category. Someone who doesn't know if God exists and is neutral in their beliefs is an Agnostic Agnostic and someone who believes God exists but is neutral in their beliefs is a Gnostic Agnostic.

If Gnostic = I can know something and Agnostic = I can't know something, then the second term needs to explain what the something is. A Gnostic Theist believes in God and believes he can know. An Agnostic Agnostic is neutral and believes he can't know. An Agnostic Atheist believes in.... what? And believes he can't know... what?

At best, an Agnostic Atheist can say they are BOTH an Agnostic (doesn't believe we can know something) AND an Atheist (has no particular beliefs about God). Which means one could be an Agnostic OR an Atheist as well.

But an Agnostic, as I understand the term, doesn't believe that we can't know something, an Agnostic believes we CAN know a thing but an Agnostic believes that one shouldn't pretend things are certain, that things are known, without demonstration. Agnosticism says nothing about the ability to know things or not.

Through all of this, there is not a single term to describe someone who believes that God does not exist. They cannot be an Atheist because they don't simply lack a belief, they have one. They can't be an Agnostic because they pretend to know something and because they are doing so without demonstration. They can't be Gnostic if Gnostic = I believe God exists, because a Gnostic (insert mystery term here) knows God exists but believes he doesn't. Just as they can't be Gnostic if it means I can know something because there's no description of what that something is.

HAHA! IRON CLAD! I WIN!

Cool

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
17-07-2012, 10:54 AM
(17-07-2012 10:48 AM)Ghost Wrote:  

HAHA! IRON CLAD! I WIN!

Yeah, in that alternate Ghost-universe, maybe. Big Grin

[+] 3 users Like houseofcantor's post
17-07-2012, 12:16 PM
(17-07-2012 09:18 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(17-07-2012 09:17 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Yeah. Right. Like I'm gonna trapse my happy hippie ass into inbred redneck Holden and stir up shit with one of the locals... Dodgy

Big Grin
So, no doughnuts? Weeping
You confused him. You should have said donuts.

~Izel
17-07-2012, 12:19 PM
Thing is, Casper, if you're going to throw around the word Gnostic like you love to do, you're going to confuse those of us with a seminary education who know Gnosticism to be about a religion on the level of New Age Woo Woo-ness. Putting Gnostic together with Theist or Atheist is actually a non-sensical statement.
So there. Tongue

~Izel
17-07-2012, 12:57 PM
Hey! I resemble that remark!

Cool

I agree with you. I think using Gnostic as a prefix is silly. But the great masses have spoken Cool

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt