The Quantum Universe: (And Why Anything That Can Happen, Does)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-08-2013, 02:08 PM
The Quantum Universe: (And Why Anything That Can Happen, Does)
"The Quantum Universe: (And Why Anything That Can Happen, Does)"

Has anyone read this book yet? I've been trying to decide whether to pick it up or not. I'm sure I will in the end as I almost always end up getting the book if I have to think about it too long. Just wanted to know if anyone has good or bad reviews of it.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-08-2013, 02:31 PM
RE: The Quantum Universe: (And Why Anything That Can Happen, Does)
(05-08-2013 02:08 PM)Raptor Jesus Wrote:  "The Quantum Universe: (And Why Anything That Can Happen, Does)"

Has anyone read this book yet? I've been trying to decide whether to pick it up or not. I'm sure I will in the end as I almost always end up getting the book if I have to think about it too long. Just wanted to know if anyone has good or bad reviews of it.

I think it's worth a read. I like Brian Cox. He's an ex-rocker, physicist from England. He's got a number of videos on YouTube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TQ28aA9gGo

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
05-08-2013, 08:22 PM
Can you define CAN in "can happen"? Is it something like - particles spontaneously jump in and out of existence, therefore it's possible to roll a 6 sided die and get a grapefruit?
05-08-2013, 09:22 PM (This post was last modified: 05-08-2013 09:26 PM by Raptor Jesus.)
(05-08-2013 08:22 PM)PoolBoyG Wrote:  Can you define CAN in "can happen"? Is it something like - particles spontaneously jump in and out of existence, therefore it's possible to roll a 6 sided die and get a grapefruit?

Well I haven't read it yet, but I'm assuming no to the grapefruit thing, and I'm assuming yes to the particles thing.

What quantum physicist mean when they say "anything that can happen, does" is that anything that is possible, in accordance with the laws of physics, does happen. This has in part to do with the enormity of the universe. At the size of the universe even the most improbable events must happen simple do to the odds of it on the scale of the vastness of our universe.

Also, I don't know if the book touches on multiverses, I'd imagine it likely might, but if it does then that's even more meaningful as not only does that make possible anything in the laws of physics of our universe, but of the laws of physics of any possible laws of physics of any possible universe of which there would then be unlimited probabilistic events in which anything could happen. Including what is impossible in our own universe.

That being said...I haven't read the book yet so I don't know.

05-08-2013, 09:24 PM
(05-08-2013 02:31 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(05-08-2013 02:08 PM)Raptor Jesus Wrote:  "The Quantum Universe: (And Why Anything That Can Happen, Does)"

I think it's worth a read. I like Brian Cox. He's an ex-rocker, physicist from England. He's got a number of videos on YouTube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TQ28aA9gGo

Thanks Bucky. I like him too. Just haven't read anything by him yet. I don't know if it's just me, but his constant smiling drives me nuts. That's probably more telling of me though that someones constant smiling gets grating after some time.

05-08-2013, 09:35 PM
Yep, I quite liked hit, he explains things rather well and it kept me entertained.

If you like Brian Cox, I'd recommend his 3 "Wonders of the..." television series'.

"Good news, everyone!"
-Cody
05-08-2013, 09:39 PM
I literally just started the first episode of it just before you posted that. I found it on youtube. I know he has that book of the same title but I didn't know it was attached to a documentary.

05-08-2013, 10:00 PM
Which series? Universe, Solar System, or Life? I have all three at home and watch them regularly. They're absolutely beautifully filmed, and while Prof. Cox is a total goober, he's an amazing presenter.

If you can watch them in glorious 1080p, do so.

"Good news, everyone!"
-Cody
05-08-2013, 10:03 PM
I'm watching the Life one right now. Other than the books, which I suspected might have something like this attached to them because they say BBC right on them, I hadn't actually known about them until now.

05-08-2013, 10:08 PM
Well, now you know. Enjoy!

"Good news, everyone!"
-Cody