The Quantum Universe: (And Why Anything That Can Happen, Does)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-08-2013, 03:13 AM
RE: The Quantum Universe: (And Why Anything That Can Happen, Does)
(05-08-2013 09:22 PM)Raptor Jesus Wrote:  
(05-08-2013 08:22 PM)PoolBoyG Wrote:  Can you define CAN in "can happen"? Is it something like - particles spontaneously jump in and out of existence, therefore it's possible to roll a 6 sided die and get a grapefruit?

Well I haven't read it yet, but I'm assuming no to the grapefruit thing, and I'm assuming yes to the particles thing.
At the size of the universe even the most improbable events must happen simple do to the odds of it on the scale of the vastness of our universe.
That being said...I haven't read the book yet so I don't know.

I think you might have contradicted yourself with the first two statements, but i'll accept the third one.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-08-2013, 04:51 AM
Let's not confuse 'can' with 'will'.

The universe may be finite in extent, though unbounded, so 'can' does not mean 'will'.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-08-2013, 07:28 AM (This post was last modified: 06-08-2013 08:54 AM by Raptor Jesus.)
(06-08-2013 03:13 AM)PoolBoyG Wrote:  
(05-08-2013 09:22 PM)Raptor Jesus Wrote:  Well I haven't read it yet, but I'm assuming no to the grapefruit thing, and I'm assuming yes to the particles thing.
At the size of the universe even the most improbable events must happen simple do to the odds of it on the scale of the vastness of our universe.
That being said...I haven't read the book yet so I don't know.

I think you might have contradicted yourself with the first two statements, but i'll accept the third one.

Well no I haven't. That's selective editing, what you've got there. I notice you've cut out some bits. Particularly the part on "with in the laws of physics".

12-08-2013, 07:28 PM
The title refers to the Many-worlds interpretation of quantum mechanics. "In lay terms, the hypothesis states there is a very large–perhaps infinite–number of universes, and everything that could possibly have happened in our past, but did not, has occurred in the past of some other universe or universes." But judging by the contents it gets into a whole lot more than that.

I am us and we is me. ... bitches.
13-08-2013, 08:45 AM
(12-08-2013 07:28 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  The title refers to the Many-worlds interpretation of quantum mechanics. "In lay terms, the hypothesis states there is a very large–perhaps infinite–number of universes, and everything that could possibly have happened in our past, but did not, has occurred in the past of some other universe or universes." But judging by the contents it gets into a whole lot more than that.

I feel like that's basiclly what I said.

Eitherway, here is an update on the book:
I did end up picking up the book. I've read the first few chapters and it seems to be exactly what I was hoping for. Can't give a review yet as I am only a few chapters in. That being said I've put it down for now because I have a back list of other books to read and I've been jumping around too much in reading them. So this on will have to wait.

But so far I've liked it so much, even though I haven't finished this one yet, I've ended up ordering their other book "Why Does E=mc2?: (And Why Should We Care?)" and it's due to arrive today. But of course it's then going to have to immediately wait on the self until I can get to it.

I kind of ended up leapfrogging over everything with "Zealot". But if I write anything about that I will make a seperate thread.