The Ralph Ellis v. Thomas Verrano debate

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-01-2015, 12:28 PM (This post was last modified: 27-01-2015 12:57 PM by Deltabravo.)
RE: The Ralph Ellis v. Thomas Verrano debate
I'm living about 100 miles from Aleppo now.

It is incredible. I didn't realize that everyone here calls Jesus, Isa and this "gnostic, cryptic religion" of which Ellis says Izates was a member actually still exists. They are split into several sects. One is the Yazidis and another is Druze Muslims of Golan. Alawites of Syria are also a secretive religion who worship Jesus and celebrate Easter. I suppose that is why other Muslims hate them so much.

Manicheaism also started up near here http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Manicheism. Another blend of gnosticism, Zoroastrianism and Buddhism. The founder was one "Mani" who adopted Izates middle name and his religion rivaled Roman Christianity. It is hard to see how this Mani person called himself an "apostle of Jesus" when his religion isn't based on the New Testament. He must have found out about Jesus some other way. As must Muslims who say Jesus was an ordinary man and just a prophet, not divine. Oh, and also a warrior on horseback. Seems there are two versions of Jesus, one from Roman Christianity and one from pretty much every religion in the part of the world where he was supposed to have lived.

I read up on Thomas Verenna on his blog. Seems he has gone on to become a student at an on-line college, studying American history. What I didn't realize is that he went to Rutgers to study religion as he had wanted to be a priest. His blog says he continued wanting to study religion at Rutgers and was amazed at how little his classmates knew about Jesus, since he had been studying Jesus since the age of 16. So, he is a devout Christian up through his first year at Rutgers, which seems to have lasted about five years. Then, at the beginning of his second semester of his second year(s) he decides to leave Rutgers.

Then, he writes about how he respects Pope Francis and enrolls at Columbia College, a former Christian College which still maintains ties with the Disciples of Christ. Now he is an American History major...

Which, in accordance with The Guidelines means he is Not An Expert in Christian studies. (see The Guidelines, section II(b) Who is Not an Expert). Was he ever an atheist at all? Or was he a hoaxer? Just think...some Christian who hates mythicists decides to launch himself as a mythicist and engage in such outrageously idiotic behavior that he gains notoriety in the atheist, mythicist world, and even some followers. He stands there as a "beacon" of what atheism and mythicism is all about. The true representative of his kind...a liar and an idiot. Before he lifts the veil and reveals himself as an imposter who deliberately set out to portray atheist and mythicists that way... hmmm?

Anyway, getting back on topic. It seems everyone is looking for some religion which "Jesus" could have belonged to and no one can find it. Was he Buddhist, maybe a Zoroastrian? And no one can find one. Then, when you aren't even looking, three come along at the same time.

1. Druze
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Druze (/druːz/;[7] Arabic: درزي‎ derzī or durzī, plural دروز durūz; Hebrew: דרוזים‎, druzim) are a monotheistic religious and social community found primarily in Syria, Lebanon, Israel, and Jordan.[8] Rooted in Ismailism, a branch of Shia Islam, Druze beliefs incorporate elements from Abrahamic religions as well as Gnosticism, Neoplatonism, Pythagoreanism, and other philosophies,

2. Alawites consider themselves to be Muslims, although some Sunnis dispute that they are.[50] Alawite doctrine incorporates Gnostic, neo-Platonic, Islamic, Christian and other elements and has, therefore, been described as syncretistic.[51][52]

Alawite beliefs have never been confirmed by their modern religious authorities.[53] Alawites tend to conceal their beliefs (taqiyya) due to historical persecution.[54] Some tenets of the faith are secret, known only to a select few;[25][55] therefore, they have been described as a mystical sect.[56]

Divinity[edit]
Their theology is based on a divine triad,[50][57][58] or trinity, which is the core of Alawite belief.[59] The triad comprises three emanations of the one God: the supreme aspect or entity called the "Essence"[59] or the "Meaning"[58] (both being translations of ma'na), together with two lesser emanations known as his "Name" (ism), or "Veil" (hijab), and his "Gate" (bab).[57][58][59][60] These emanations have manifested themselves in different human forms over several cycles in history, the last cycle of which was as Ali (the Essence/Meaning), Muhammad (the Name) and Salman the Persian (the Gate).[57][59][60][61] Alawite belief is summarised in the formula: "I turn to the Gate; I bow before the Name; I adore the Meaning".[50][62]

3. Yazīdī, also spelled Yezīdī, Azīdī, Zedī, or Izdī, religious sect, found primarily in the districts of Mosul, Iraq; Diyarbakır, Turkey; Aleppo, Syria; Armenia and the Caucasus region; and parts of Iran. The Yazīdī religion combines Zoroastrian, Manichaean, Jewish, Nestorian Christian, and Islamic elements.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-01-2016, 02:55 AM
Quote:I don't think anybody owns Ellis an apology; it was his decision to enter this area, and it was his decision to leave it.

Actually, I was banned from the site. It came up with a message saying 'Go Away'.

Quote:Bud, if it ain't published in a journal and it ain't reviewed by other Biblical scholars, then it's popular bulllshit no matter how many references he sticks at the end of it.

Dreamer.

Ok, so all the biblical scholars who peer review are of the same mindset as yourself. How do you think that I will ever get a peer review? What I will end up with is a Verenna-style review, which was completely fabricated. He made up various things that I don't mention in the book, and then said 'hey, look all this is wrong'. Some review, eh?

So how will any outsider get a balanced review from an aggressively oppositional club? Its not going to happen is it? Will you provide a balanced review? I can send a review copy......

Ralph
27-01-2016, 04:00 AM
(27-01-2016 02:55 AM)ralfellis99 Wrote:  
Quote:I don't think anybody owns Ellis an apology; it was his decision to enter this area, and it was his decision to leave it.

Actually, I was banned from the site. It came up with a message saying 'Go Away'.

Quote:Bud, if it ain't published in a journal and it ain't reviewed by other Biblical scholars, then it's popular bulllshit no matter how many references he sticks at the end of it.

Dreamer.

Ok, so all the biblical scholars who peer review are of the same mindset as yourself. How do you think that I will ever get a peer review? What I will end up with is a Verenna-style review, which was completely fabricated. He made up various things that I don't mention in the book, and then said 'hey, look all this is wrong'. Some review, eh?

So how will any outsider get a balanced review from an aggressively oppositional club? Its not going to happen is it? Will you provide a balanced review? I can send a review copy......

Ralph

A. Really? There's not a single one who's any good huh? There's a vast conspiracy to keep you OUT of the *extremely* profitable Bible scholar industry because... you'll expose them for frauds, your ideas are too far advanced, you are a lone maverick researcher against the world, they just don't like you. And not a *single* respected scholar has time for you, time enough to review you... it must be because you are so amazing.

B. Don't be ridiculous. I'm not a Bible scholar. I can spot bullshit from a mile off though. Asking me to review your stuff critically is bullshit. Publish in a journal. Let the journal editors appoint reviewers *unknown to you*. That's how real peer review works, although a lot of journals suck at doing it properly. Which is why the more respected and prestigious the journal you publish your work in, the better - it makes it credible because the well known journals are trusted. If you can't get published in a journal, any journal, it shows that your work is crank stuff. Expose yourself to criticism. Anything less is cowardice.

You give yourself away by the direction of your labours - you actively shy away from academia and seek to convince the great unwashed, myself among them. Those are not the actions of a person seeking truth, they are the actions of a person seeking glory.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post
27-01-2016, 06:17 AM

Too bad it didn't take. Tongue

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
27-01-2016, 07:16 AM

Dreamer.

Ralph

You weren't banned from this site. That just sounds like your paranoia. Drinking Beverage

However, you have now made a sock puppet account, so ...

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
27-01-2016, 07:24 AM
(27-01-2015 12:28 PM)Deltabravo Wrote:  I'm living about 100 miles from Aleppo now.

It is incredible. I didn't realize that everyone here calls Jesus, Isa and this "gnostic, cryptic religion" of which Ellis says Izates was a member actually still exists.

IS..
Jesus was the founder of ISIS. Obviously. Yes
Facepalm

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
25-10-2016, 08:25 PM
Idiot
25-10-2016, 10:59 PM
Oh that's right.
Horus founded ISIS.
My bad.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
25-10-2016, 11:12 PM
(25-10-2016 08:25 PM)Deltabravo Wrote:  Idiot

That's all you've got to say? How about answering your critics, dickhead?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post