The Rebuttal of the Noachian Flood - by Creationists

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-12-2017, 03:33 AM
The Rebuttal of the Noachian Flood - by Creationists
An interesting paper on how the work by creationist "geologists" to prove the Flood happened, actually proves quite the opposite.

http://www.csun.edu/~vcgeo005/Flood%20geology.pdf

As my academic background is in earth sciences I've always found it profoundly idiotic for anyone to claim the Genesis Flood occurred, let alone those who purport to have studied geology and call themselves geologists.

The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike
Excreta Tauri Sapientam Fulgeat (The excrement of the bull causes wisdom to flee)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Silly Deity's post
19-12-2017, 05:23 AM
RE: The Rebuttal of the Noachian Flood - by Creationists
(19-12-2017 03:33 AM)Silly Deity Wrote:  An interesting paper on how the work by creationist "geologists" to prove the Flood happened, actually proves quite the opposite.

As my academic background is in earth sciences I've always found it profoundly idiotic for anyone to claim the Genesis Flood occurred, let alone those who purport to have studied geology and call themselves geologists.

As a theist, I have never felt the need to use science to understand religion, or religion to understand science. I personally would not expect to find any evidence of the flood in this world. The flood was sort of an other-worldly event. Aside from the survivors of the flood, the world as it was prior to the flood is an erased world. It is like it never existed, because a cosmological reset button was pressed. Our reality now, is not the same reality of the pre-flood world. Some of the rules of nature are even different.

I sometimes have passionate arguments with myself that almost come to blows.
19-12-2017, 05:50 AM
(19-12-2017 05:23 AM)Yonadav Kenyon Wrote:  As a theist, I have never felt the need to use science to understand religion, or religion to understand science. I personally would not expect to find any evidence of the flood in this world. The flood was sort of an other-worldly event. Aside from the survivors of the flood, the world as it was prior to the flood is an erased world. It is like it never existed, because a cosmological reset button was pressed. Our reality now, is not the same reality of the pre-flood world. Some of the rules of nature are even different.

Using that logic one could regard Tolkein's "Middle Earth" as valid.

The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike
Excreta Tauri Sapientam Fulgeat (The excrement of the bull causes wisdom to flee)
[+] 13 users Like Silly Deity's post
19-12-2017, 05:53 AM
(19-12-2017 05:23 AM)Yonadav Kenyon Wrote:  
(19-12-2017 03:33 AM)Silly Deity Wrote:  An interesting paper on how the work by creationist "geologists" to prove the Flood happened, actually proves quite the opposite.

As a theist, I have never felt the need to use science to understand religion, or religion to understand science. I personally would not expect to find any evidence of the flood in this world. The flood was sort of an other-worldly event. Aside from the survivors of the flood, the world as it was prior to the flood is an erased world. It is like it never existed, because a cosmological reset button was pressed. Our reality now, is not the same reality of the pre-flood world. Some of the rules of nature are even different.

What world would that be? How did it "erase" and wipe out all evidence? What specific rules of nature were changed?

And finally; last but not least- what evidence would you have for any of this?

I can answer all of these questions- The world of the imagination was where the Noachian flood occurred, I suspect it is right next to the world where the flood of Utnapishtim, Atrahasis and Ziusudra took place.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 6 users Like TheInquisition's post
19-12-2017, 06:44 AM
(19-12-2017 05:23 AM)Yonadav Kenyon Wrote:  

The flood was? Have some evidence to back it up? Same with "cosmological reset button", or rules of nature being different pre alleged flood and now.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 2 users Like Szuchow's post
19-12-2017, 06:48 AM
(19-12-2017 05:53 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  
(19-12-2017 05:23 AM)Yonadav Kenyon Wrote:  As a theist, I have never felt the need to use science to understand religion, or religion to understand science. I personally would not expect to find any evidence of the flood in this world. The flood was sort of an other-worldly event. Aside from the survivors of the flood, the world as it was prior to the flood is an erased world. It is like it never existed, because a cosmological reset button was pressed. Our reality now, is not the same reality of the pre-flood world. Some of the rules of nature are even different.

What world would that be? How did it "erase" and wipe out all evidence? What specific rules of nature were changed?

And finally; last but not least- what evidence would you have for any of this?

I can answer all of these questions- The world of the imagination was where the Noachian flood occurred, I suspect it is right next to the world where the flood of Utnapishtim, Atrahasis and Ziusudra took place.

#1 Its magic, therefore he needs no evidence
#2 Its magic, therefore he can claim anything to have happened
#3 go to #1

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
[+] 11 users Like Deesse23's post
19-12-2017, 06:54 AM
(19-12-2017 06:44 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  

The flood was? Have some evidence to back it up? Same with "cosmological reset button", or rules of nature being different pre alleged flood and now.

As a theist, I have never felt the need to use science to understand religion, or religion to understand science. So just from biblical text, I know that water did not originally flow downhill. In chapter 1 of Genesis, G-d commanded water to gather into one place, and dry land appeared. So that is an example of G-d changing the nature of things. Before the flood, there were no rainbows. And yet, the text says that G-d caused a mist to descend to the ground. That should have created a rainbow in our reality. But rainbows didn't exist until after the flood. So there are two examples of the nature of reality being changed.

19-12-2017, 06:57 AM
(19-12-2017 06:54 AM)Yonadav Kenyon Wrote:  
(19-12-2017 06:44 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  The flood was? Have some evidence to back it up? Same with "cosmological reset button", or rules of nature being different pre alleged flood and now.

As a theist, I have never felt the need to use science to understand religion, or religion to understand science. So just from biblical text, I know that water did not originally flow downhill. In chapter 1 of Genesis, G-d commanded water to gather into one place, and dry land appeared. So that is an example of G-d changing the nature of things. Before the flood, there were no rainbows. And yet, the text says that G-d caused a mist to descend to the ground. That should have created a rainbow in our reality. But rainbows didn't exist until after the flood. So there are two examples of the nature of reality being changed.

Spare me the bullshit and show some actual evidence. Tribal tales aren't what I find convincing.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 6 users Like Szuchow's post
19-12-2017, 07:04 AM
(19-12-2017 06:57 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(19-12-2017 06:54 AM)Yonadav Kenyon Wrote:  As a theist, I have never felt the need to use science to understand religion, or religion to understand science. So just from biblical text, I know that water did not originally flow downhill. In chapter 1 of Genesis, G-d commanded water to gather into one place, and dry land appeared. So that is an example of G-d changing the nature of things. Before the flood, there were no rainbows. And yet, the text says that G-d caused a mist to descend to the ground. That should have created a rainbow in our reality. But rainbows didn't exist until after the flood. So there are two examples of the nature of reality being changed.

Spare me the bullshit and show some actual evidence. Tribal tales aren't what I find convincing.
I didn't expect you to be convinced. You want to use science to understand religion. I don't do that. When my car won't start (actually I don't have a car), I don't pull out the bible to troubleshoot my car. When I don't understand religion, I don't pull out the troubleshooting manual for my car.

19-12-2017, 07:21 AM
(19-12-2017 07:04 AM)Yonadav Kenyon Wrote:  
(19-12-2017 06:57 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  Spare me the bullshit and show some actual evidence. Tribal tales aren't what I find convincing.
I didn't expect you to be convinced. You want to use science to understand religion. I don't do that. When my car won't start (actually I don't have a car), I don't pull out the bible to troubleshoot my car. When I don't understand religion, I don't pull out the troubleshooting manual for my car.

I want you to back your ignorant statement with actual evidence not another rambling about religion and science as NOMA. As things stand your fairy tale called flood was disproved and no amount of evasion about not using science to understand religion will change it.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 4 users Like Szuchow's post