The Rebuttal of the Noachian Flood - by Creationists

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-12-2017, 10:15 AM
RE: The Rebuttal of the Noachian Flood - by Creationists
(19-12-2017 10:12 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  The biblical flood is how Creationists (and apparently a few other nuts Rolleyes ) explain the Grand Canyon. It's insane. If the flood caused the Grand Canyon there should be grand canyons everywhere.

What other nuts use it to explain the Grand Canyon?

I sometimes have passionate arguments with myself that almost come to blows.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-12-2017, 10:25 AM
(19-12-2017 10:15 AM)Yonadav Kenyon Wrote:  
(19-12-2017 10:12 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  The biblical flood is how Creationists (and apparently a few other nuts Rolleyes ) explain the Grand Canyon. It's insane. If the flood caused the Grand Canyon there should be grand canyons everywhere.

What other nuts use it to explain the Grand Canyon?

How do you explain the Grand Canyon?

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
19-12-2017, 10:54 AM
(19-12-2017 10:14 AM)Yonadav Kenyon Wrote:  
(19-12-2017 10:10 AM)Silly Deity Wrote:  Heartened you agree that a belief in the flood is "zany".

I also assume that you agree that you subscribe to a belief that an omniscient, omnipotent supernatural being is responsible for the existence of our universe? Can you confirm this?

What is zany is their attempt to use science to prove religious things. Like I keep saying, I use religion to understand religion and science to understand science, and mixing the two is zany.

For the third time..............do you subscribe to a belief that an omniscient, omnipotent supernatural being is responsible for the existence of our universe?

The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike
Excreta Tauri Sapientam Fulgeat (The excrement of the bull causes wisdom to flee)
19-12-2017, 11:05 AM
(19-12-2017 10:25 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(19-12-2017 10:15 AM)Yonadav Kenyon Wrote:  What other nuts use it to explain the Grand Canyon?

How do you explain the Grand Canyon?

The same way that scientists do.

I sometimes have passionate arguments with myself that almost come to blows.
19-12-2017, 11:25 AM
(19-12-2017 05:23 AM)Yonadav Kenyon Wrote:  
(19-12-2017 03:33 AM)Silly Deity Wrote:  An interesting paper on how the work by creationist "geologists" to prove the Flood happened, actually proves quite the opposite.

http://www.csun.edu/~vcgeo005/Flood%20geology.pdf

As my academic background is in earth sciences I've always found it profoundly idiotic for anyone to claim the Genesis Flood occurred, let alone those who purport to have studied geology and call themselves geologists.

As a theist, I have never felt the need to use science to understand religion, or religion to understand science. I personally would not expect to find any evidence of the flood in this world. The flood was sort of an other-worldly event. Aside from the survivors of the flood, the world as it was prior to the flood is an erased world. It is like it never existed, because a cosmological reset button was pressed. Our reality now, is not the same reality of the pre-flood world. Some of the rules of nature are even different.
Lord, that's idiotic. Gasp Facepalm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like Gawdzilla's post
19-12-2017, 12:07 PM
(19-12-2017 10:14 AM)Yonadav Kenyon Wrote:  
(19-12-2017 10:10 AM)Silly Deity Wrote:  Heartened you agree that a belief in the flood is "zany".

I also assume that you agree that you subscribe to a belief that an omniscient, omnipotent supernatural being is responsible for the existence of our universe? Can you confirm this?

What is zany is their attempt to use science to prove religious things. Like I keep saying, I use religion to understand religion and science to understand science, and mixing the two is zany.

Well you avoided answering the question despite being asked no less than four times. So I'm assuming that you DO subscribe to a belief that an omniscient, omnipotent supernatural being is responsible for the existence of our universe. That being the case, you are therefore not using science. You are using a religious belief to explain the universe.

What's the difference between you and the "zany Creationist"?

The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike
Excreta Tauri Sapientam Fulgeat (The excrement of the bull causes wisdom to flee)
19-12-2017, 12:37 PM
(19-12-2017 09:22 AM)Yonadav Kenyon Wrote:  Religious people accept certain axioms as being true. They apply these axioms to their understanding of religion, and they don't apply them to science.
Yup. And there's the lack of reason.

(19-12-2017 09:22 AM)Yonadav Kenyon Wrote:  In science, we accept certain axioms as true, and we don't apply them to religion.
Nope. Science accepts nothing without evidence to support it.

Fox News: Praying Preying on ignorance since 1996.
[+] 2 users Like Impulse's post
19-12-2017, 12:40 PM
(19-12-2017 12:07 PM)Silly Deity Wrote:  
(19-12-2017 10:14 AM)Yonadav Kenyon Wrote:  What is zany is their attempt to use science to prove religious things. Like I keep saying, I use religion to understand religion and science to understand science, and mixing the two is zany.

Well you avoided answering the question despite being asked no less than four times. So I'm assuming that you DO subscribe to a belief that an omniscient, omnipotent supernatural being is responsible for the existence of our universe. That being the case, you are therefore not using science. You are using a religious belief to explain the universe.

What's the difference between you and the "zany Creationist"?

He is using earlier edition of The Book. Or maybe we should call it The Elder Scrolls?

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 3 users Like Szuchow's post
19-12-2017, 12:49 PM (This post was last modified: 19-12-2017 01:22 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(19-12-2017 05:23 AM)Yonadav Kenyon Wrote:  
(19-12-2017 03:33 AM)Silly Deity Wrote:  An interesting paper on how the work by creationist "geologists" to prove the Flood happened, actually proves quite the opposite.

http://www.csun.edu/~vcgeo005/Flood%20geology.pdf

As my academic background is in earth sciences I've always found it profoundly idiotic for anyone to claim the Genesis Flood occurred, let alone those who purport to have studied geology and call themselves geologists.

As a theist, I have never felt the need to use science to understand religion, or religion to understand science. I personally would not expect to find any evidence of the flood in this world. The flood was sort of an other-worldly event. Aside from the survivors of the flood, the world as it was prior to the flood is an erased world. It is like it never existed, because a cosmological reset button was pressed. Our reality now, is not the same reality of the pre-flood world. Some of the rules of nature are even different.

The *need* for compartmentalization of cognitive dissonances is strong in this one.

That's all nice, except science has proven it is not at all a "reset", and nothing but a myth. The genetic bottleneck and known mutation rates, and genetic diversity, with that few people remaining would have caused homo sapiens to go extinct, the lack of a silt layer, worldwide, and many other reasons leads any moderately intelligent person to conclude it never happened. The tale is told by an omniscient narrator, (literary device) who would have had no way of knowing the things related in the myth.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein It is objectively immoral to kill innocent babies. Please stick to the guilty babies.
[+] 10 users Like Bucky Ball's post
19-12-2017, 04:51 PM
(19-12-2017 05:23 AM)Yonadav Kenyon Wrote:  Our reality now, is not the same reality of the pre-flood world. Some of the rules of nature are even different.

What rules of nature are different now? What were those rules prior to the flood and what evidence do we have for those specific rules?

No gods necessary.
[+] 4 users Like brunumb's post