The Recession is the End of the World

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-10-2010, 09:19 PM

The Recession is the End of the World
According to some economic experts, otherwise known as fundamentalist christians, the current recession is another sign that the end is near.

"The bad things that are happening in the world are getting more and more out of control. Much bigger than I ever remember before," commented a 40-year-old mother of three from Montana. "I don't remember any era in history with so many bad things happening all at once."

When asked how many of the great atrocities of the last century happened in Montana since 1960, the woman had no answer. When reminded that being a Jew in 1940 might have been a little tougher than the recession, she feigned hearing loss. And when asked how much of the last 40,000 years of human history she was actually a witness to, she pretended not to speak English.
Quote this message in a reply
08-10-2010, 06:15 PM
RE: The Recession is the End of the World
I would just assume this women was a serious meth addict or something. The past 3 years have been an absolute fucking cakewalk compared to what humans endured over the past 5,000 years, or even within the past 3 generations.

War, pestilence, famine, mass starvation, genocide, and, of course, religious fervor leading to all sorts of atrocities. Today you can't get a car loan at the interest rate you want and your home equity is devalued. BFD. There are also trillions in dollars in public safety nets so people can be completely irresponsible and never accountable for their own actions.

The worst part of this story is this wing-nut's vote counts just as much as mine does.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-10-2010, 08:59 PM

(08-10-2010 06:15 PM)BnW Wrote:  There are also trillions in dollars in public safety nets so people can be completely irresponsible and never accountable for their own actions.

The worst part of this story is this wing-nut's vote counts just as much as mine does.

hmmm, you sounded very conservative in that first statement but I'm assuming by your last statement that your vote would be democrat vs the "wing-nut's" republican vote. Is that a contradiction, or am I missing something? I must just not understand or am missing a vital piece of information.

BTW, I am also guessing that based on the way athnostic wrote the post, the story is fictitious. Am I right?
09-10-2010, 06:46 AM
I took it as the quote was something that someone actually said. The rest was her poking fun at this moron.

As for the contradiction you believe you observed, your mistake is in assuming I believe one party or the other has my interests at heart. I don't. A plague on both their houses as far as I'm concerned. They both cater to the wing-nut contingent on both sides of the spectrum and then do their best to screw the middle class at the expense of fringe elements and large corporate donors.

As for the Republicans, they are not conservative. Not by any real definition, anyway. Consider their recent "Pledge to America". Basically it goes like this: the Republicans pledge to push through 4 trillion of tax cuts (compared to the Democrats 3 trillion, which is somehow equivalent to Nazism) and to pay for it they will not cut social security, medicare or defense spending, aka 75% of our budget, but instead will target all the waste in the remaining 325 billion dollars to make up for the shortfall. Does that work for you, because it doesn't work for me.

I can't tell if the Republicans honestly believe this tripe which (to paraphrase the Financial Times) means they should disband because they clearly have nothing left of intellectual value to bring to the debate, or, equally likely, they think the American public are a bunch of idiots.

I think the truth is both of these things, plus the fact that the American public is sick of the current spending and want another change and, sadly, there are very few options to vote for.

It's a tragedy that the Tea Party was basically hijacked by the wing-nut Sarah Palin element because at first they gave me hope. Now so much anymore (although I do wish I could vote for the loon in Delaware. I'd do anything to see her in the Senate).

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
09-10-2010, 08:27 PM

(09-10-2010 06:46 AM)BnW Wrote:  I took it as the quote was something that someone actually said. The rest was her poking fun at this moron.

Absolutely 100% right.
12-10-2010, 12:42 AM
(07-10-2010 09:19 PM)athnostic Wrote:  "I don't remember any era in history with so many bad things happening all at once."

This line reminds me of every second headline from rags such as "The National Enquirer" and Billy Graham's "The Plain Truth" all the way back to when I was a little kid. It obviously works, BUT IT'S CRAP!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  What is your latest first world problem ? sporehux 1,316 16,857 25-07-2014 12:20 PM
Last Post: Wicked Clown
  World War III elegant_atheist 51 455 24-07-2014 02:42 AM
Last Post: Revenant77x
  World Body Painting Championships Full Circle 7 177 09-07-2014 01:51 AM
Last Post: germanyt
  The World Through Atheist Goggles. lucradis 108 9,857 23-05-2014 02:10 AM
Last Post: Shadow Fox
  [split] What is your latest first world problem ? Alex_Leonardo 24 172 20-05-2014 12:50 PM
Last Post: Alex_Leonardo
  Oldest living things in the world dancefortwo 11 173 28-03-2014 10:36 AM
Last Post: EvolutionKills
  It's The End of the World As We Know It (and I feel fine) Can_of_Beans 5 178 30-11-2013 03:15 PM
Last Post: morondog