The Religion Of Tomasia-What is this ROT?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-06-2016, 05:01 AM
The Religion Of Tomasia-What is this ROT?
Tomasia has stated that the Religion Of Tomasia (ROT) doesn't depend on Jesus' existence. How does this work? Why would you call this ROT Christian if this is the case?

Tomasia has stated he doesn't believe in atonement. How does this work? Why would you call this ROT Christian if this is the case?

What exactly is Jesus' role in your apostate religion? He doesn't seem to serve any purpose. How does this work? Why would you call this ROT Christian if this is the case?

Tomasia dismisses accounts in Matthew about zombies walking the streets. But do you accept that Jesus rose from the dead? How does this selective dismissal work? What is your criteria for dismissing one and accepting the other?

Does the ROT assert the actual existence of a heaven and hell? How does this work? Who goes to hell and who goes to heaven? What is Jesus' role in all of this?

Honestly I am baffled by this ROT, yet curious enough to ask. It's like observing a brand new mutated virus in the wild. What is the process for hatching these bizarre belief systems? Why go to the trouble in creating this ROT, when all of the other sects of Christianity will declare you an apostate destined for hell?

Why share this ROT on an atheist forum? Even if an atheist did suddenly decide to run back to religion, they would probably go back to the conventional brand of Catholicism/Protestantism, not some one-off cultic ROT.

Please explain all of this Tomasia....

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-06-2016, 05:28 AM
RE: The Religion Of Tomasia-What is this ROT?
Many people don't believe that jesus was Christ.
Therefore someone who is waiting for Christ to appear could be called a Christian.

The definition of Christian would change from those who strive to be like Christ, to that of someone waiting for Christ to appear.

In all reality Tomasia is just trying to stand out from the crowd.
"I'm not like them. Look at me. Pay me some attention. Listen to what I have to say."

It's just teenage mentality.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 4 users Like Rahn127's post
29-06-2016, 05:31 AM
(29-06-2016 05:28 AM)Rahn127 Wrote:  Many people don't believe that jesus was Christ.
Therefore someone who is waiting for Christ to appear could be called a Christian.

The definition of Christian would change from those who strive to be like Christ, to that of someone waiting for Christ to appear.

"I'm not like them. Look at me. Pay me some attention. Listen to what I have to say."

Well, there really isn't a definition of "true Christian", though I think it would be safe to say that most Christian sects would roundly reject this ROT.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
29-06-2016, 06:09 AM
(29-06-2016 05:01 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  Honestly I am baffled by this ROT, yet curious enough to ask. It's like observing a brand new mutated virus in the wild. What is the process for hatching these bizarre belief systems?

Great comparison.

Tomasia is but the latest in a line of posters who show up here with their own brand of religious beliefs. Remember Egor/Gordon and Veridicanism? Rolleyes

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 3 users Like Full Circle's post
29-06-2016, 06:30 AM
He has already stated that he wont bother defending his beliefs here, so i wont hold my breath.

But, i bet a paycheck that:

If someday he comes out of the closet with his brand of belief, you will find out that its not less ridiculous than any other x-ian or muslim delusion. And when (and if) hes going to defend it, you will be laughing your a$$ off about the stupid fallacies he will commit.

Like all those people who see a debate on YT, who think they are so much smarter than the debater, go in for their debate, and spout even more stupid reasons for their belief.

Try to look up "eric from mesa arizona vs Matt Dillahunty". Its priceless.

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
[+] 1 user Likes Deesse23's post
29-06-2016, 06:52 AM (This post was last modified: 29-06-2016 08:39 AM by TheBeardedDude.)
I think Rahn hit the nail on the head. Tomato just wants to try and stand out from the crowd so he says whatever he thinks will make that happen. He's like the Donald Trump of Christians. Who knows what he really believes because he's just spouting off bullshit to get noticed. And also like the Donald, he's not above lying mad being blatantly dishonest, so how would one ever know what he actually believes? Consider

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
[+] 3 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
29-06-2016, 07:52 AM
The religion of Tomasia is simply this: believers are intrinsically better humans than atheists.

I've known Christians who believe Jesus was mortal, not the son of god, and died without resurrection; these Christians also tend to accept evolution, reject the idea of hell, and read the Bible as almost exclusively metaphorical. Some of them believe in a god, some of them don't, and they see Jesus as someone to be followed because of his ethics and say the need for salvation is also metaphorical (because whatever afterlife there is is for all alike).

The Baptists of my youth wouldn't call these people Christians, but they call themselves Christians and I accept their self definition. They're found mostly in the Unitarian/Episcopalian congregations.

I don't feel that Tomasia is one of these types of Christians, though. I think he's just lying rhetorically about what he believes to attempt some kind of stupid point.
[+] 1 user Likes julep's post
29-06-2016, 08:00 AM (This post was last modified: 29-06-2016 08:11 AM by The Polyglot Atheist.)
(29-06-2016 05:28 AM)Rahn127 Wrote:  Many people don't believe that jesus was Christ.

Well, wait a second. A Christian explicitly believes that Jesus was the son of God and the Christ. That's what the term means. Jews are still waiting for their Messiah, not Christians. The latter are just awaiting his Second Coming.

Even though just being a follower of Jesus as a regular preacher would be in serious conflict with that and with calling him "the Christ" in the first place. So then why call him that? I don't think it makes sense.

孤独 - The Out Crowd
Life is a flash of light between two eternities of darkness.
[Image: Schermata%202014-10-24%20alle%2012.39.01.png]
[+] 2 users Like The Polyglot Atheist's post
29-06-2016, 08:01 AM (This post was last modified: 29-06-2016 08:11 AM by Bucky Ball.)
(29-06-2016 05:01 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  Tomasia has stated that the Religion Of Tomasia (ROT) doesn't depend on Jesus' existence. How does this work? Why would you call this ROT Christian if this is the case?

Tomasia has stated he doesn't believe in atonement. How does this work? Why would you call this ROT Christian if this is the case?

What exactly is Jesus' role in your apostate religion? He doesn't seem to serve any purpose. How does this work? Why would you call this ROT Christian if this is the case?

Tomasia dismisses accounts in Matthew about zombies walking the streets. But do you accept that Jesus rose from the dead? How does this selective dismissal work? What is your criteria for dismissing one and accepting the other?

Does the ROT assert the actual existence of a heaven and hell? How does this work? Who goes to hell and who goes to heaven? What is Jesus' role in all of this?

Honestly I am baffled by this ROT, yet curious enough to ask. It's like observing a brand new mutated virus in the wild. What is the process for hatching these bizarre belief systems? Why go to the trouble in creating this ROT, when all of the other sects of Christianity will declare you an apostate destined for hell?

Why share this ROT on an atheist forum? Even if an atheist did suddenly decide to run back to religion, they would probably go back to the conventional brand of Catholicism/Protestantism, not some one-off cultic ROT.

Please explain all of this Tomasia....

.... allow me to help you with that ...

"Cuz Josephus".

There you have it. Weeping

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
29-06-2016, 08:37 AM
ROTten Tomato! Laugh out load

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick